New Angeles Forum Game: Capital, CAPITAL!

At the time, there actually was no long term agreement and she became mine to do as I thought fit.
As for now, it’s only fair that I still give a fair shot at scoring as much as possible (with my terrible play), if only to make someone fear not beating me just a tiny bit. I just don’t want to pick favorites if there’s nothing for my score.

I understand, and that is why I was pleasantly surprised by your offer to send her my way. I fear that there is little tangible I can offer back save for return of Susan in the shortest possible time, and the satisfaction of your curiosity as to what happens next.

We must all tire of negotiation, friends, but I am adamant on this point: Melange must enter the next event on the equal terms that I described (or equivalent, and without any sleight of hand.) Tanaka was acquired at a great cost and I will not hesitate further to put him to use. I intend to leave New Angeles, if not victorious, at least principled.

So Jinteki had an emergency board meeting last night to discuss the correct course of action. There were fierce arguments, many tears were shed and feelings hurt. At the end we took a vote and it came down to the wire. A single voter broke the tie and decided it, who happened to be the janitor who was working the late night shift and happened to stumble into the meeting as the votes were collected.

It’s funny how principles got us here. The deplorable actions of Melange Mining actually had us on the precipice of a MAD death pact that would see us all tumble over the cliff and into oblivion. Yet, principles are often contradictory and while we do believe Melange deserve to reap what they sowed, as a corporation we also adhere to the principle of not sabotaging the only chance our friends have of future success.

Yes, our janitor decided that we will give 1 card to the counteroffer.

Those in the room that supported turning the city over to the cylon hastily drafted an amendment that stipulated that if @soondifferent ever threatened to end the game again that Jinteki would instantly relocate to New New York. Every place has disease, so we can easily make our profit elsewhere.

@Perky_Goth: please consider sending Susan to me at the end of this turn, I will give her back and try my best to help increase your capital next round.
@Lantz: thanks for your offer of a favour, hopefully I will never have to call on it.

@rowe33: your turn

I shall pass! @rho21

@Perky_Goth It isn’t much, but would using Eiko on Weyland be of any service to you?

OK, this means that the Counter Offer wins.

@rho21, please remove up to 4 enemy units and state which 2 Districts (not in Strike or Outage) that will have their Unrest increased by 1.

I can’t see any Assets that can be triggered now (but I advise people to take a look at what they’ve got in the reference sheet).

After that it is End of Turn for @Perky_Goth, with the potential use of Assets.

I have sort of lost track of what has been offered between people here, so please state any promises of Capital or Asset transfers that should be performed.

I can see three plausible options here:

• Guarantee failing the demand and focus on avoiding threat from all other sources
    • clear districts 9 and 10 entirely, remove a unit from district 6.
  • The same but avoiding the rolling outage this time
    • clear districts 9 and 10 entirely, remove the Human First from district 5.
  • Keep our options open by producing what we can
    • clear OrgCrime from districts 4, 7 and 10, plus Human First from district 9.

@soondifferent: With your unorthodox knowledge of which units might be showing up, what do you suggest to leave us in the best position going into the final round? I’m leaning towards the middle option right now.

Hmm… damn, we still have illness in district 5.

Activating Susan and passing it to @Tim_N

@soondifferent, you might want to do it anyway for a non-game ending offer to pass :)

Unfortunately everything is moot now, as my agreement to proceed depended on Susan coming my way. My sincere apologies to NBN and Globalsec who put aside petty concerns and did their best to keep the city going. I suggest that everyone begin their relocation plans.

@rho21 I would go with the middle first option, though it doesn’t matter anymore (just noticed the illness too.)

OK, it’s past time the security services finally flexed their muscles in this town.

@Jorn_Weines: please remove

• Organised Crime from district 10
  • Organised Crime from district 9
  • Human First from district 9
  • Human First from district 6

This has the minor side-effect of a little unrest affecting district 10 (going to be overwritten with an outage anyway) and district 4.

@Jorn_Weines: Oh, and please transfer the promised 3 capital to Melange.

@rho21 removes Organised Crime from district 10, Organised Crime from district 9, Human First from district 9, Human First from district 6. +4 Capital to @rho21.
Unrest Increases in District 10 and 4.

@rho21 transfers 3 Capital to @soondifferent.

End of Turn:
Susan activated, +2 Capital to @Perky_Goth, Asset moves on to @Tim_N.

Production Phase:
District 4 is in Strike, no production.
District 5 has Outage, no production. HuFi presence creates an Outage token that moves to District 10.
District 7 produces 1 Consumable. No primary production due to Org Crime presence. Unreast increases, now in Strike.

Event Phase
Beanstalk Beset by Protesters!

No Human First Unit in Tier 3. +3 Capital for @soondifferent.
HuFi in District 5 moves to District 6. HuFi in District 1 moves to District 5.
HuFi added to District 7.
Illness added to Districts 9 and 10.

Next (and last Round) will have 3 deals.

Next event card back: Outage.

@soondifferent gets a hand refresh. Please specify your card draws. Locust Company also readied.

Game state moving into the last Round:

Suddenly I wonder why I haven’t thought of also adding your Assets to the PM with your hands.

Thank you @rho21. The ending is ordained, but I’ll take labour, construction and an extra large biotech to go. @Jorn_Weines

Seriously you’re such a whinger. You’re one capital behind me and with many more assets, and you’re still complaining. If you had gotten Susan you would be one up on me whilst pretending earlier that you were well behind.

In any event, the next event card back is Outage, and we have… let’s see here… 7 outages. hmm.

I’ve clearly laid out my reasoning based on projected earnings and basic math, but of course you insist on a myopic view of the present and my (admittedly impressive, but mostly inapplicable) array of assets. The same shortsightedness that led you to think going back on your word will accomplish anything other than leaving a black mark on your once respectable organization. I intend to keep my word to the end.

Jinteki janitor for CEO!

I know what the rules say, but cheating you out of two deals will count as a personal victory to me when the game ends. It’s like a soldier deciding to pull Trump’s pants down moments after he sends nukes flying. It doesn’t change the outcome, but it was satisfying nonetheless.

haha, well after the imminent revolution who knows what will happen! Janitors might be heading all the corporations tomorrow.

Back to meta discussion, I am really not sure how this game ever ends in a close victory. If threat is low and players can’t tank the whole game in the later rounds, I can see how players would passionately compete up until the end to best their rival. But if the cylon does well and threat is quite high, then all endgames will just be a losing player threatening to end the game unless the other players help him win, which works until he is winning which will make the now-losing player threaten to end the game unless… and so on. Perhaps it requires the mutual rivalry that we had here, which isn’t usual.

I think, perhaps, that veteran players would be more circumspect about their win conditions than we have been.