NFL Loser Bowl 2018-19 (football forum game)

LOL well. That cuts hard. It is great to be a Florida gator… but I have been a vol too long. And seriously - there is nothing like Tennessee Football. But you almost had me.

I pretend a lot

Armando if you ae still here – I went to Columbia so I was up at 113th street in NY – but I really value your comments on RPGs. As a lurker of some years. You are a true super person that knows them. And you know --we have the whole east Tennessee thing going.

As for PM grrrrr =-= he knows what will happen Saturday here in Knoxvegas.

it’s great to be a Florida Gator!

I am just playin’. I am a Hurricane, anyhow.

Made me almost cry out loud. But I am UT now. And by god we can beat bama. Heart is more important than skill, physicality, coaching, toughness, qb, training, and a history of success --uh have I forgotten something?

(43 -7 Bama)

I had to correct myself above, I somehow wrote NY when I meant NC. Let’s chalk it up to it being very late. College was in Boston for me, the other great northeastern city. I miss it terribly to this day, but I can afford to live in NC, so here I am :)

And I appreciate the kind words! I moved very heavily into tabletop RPGs over the last few years, so I was barely playing digital games at all until this quarter, when Dragon Quest 11, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and Star Control: Origins all managed to drag me back onto my PC for a bit, and given your mutual interest on at least two of those, I think it’s kinda funny how you more or less got to witness the entirety of my return to PC gaming, hah.

But all that tabletop gaming has got my head spinning for stuff I’d love to see PC games pick up on someday. Maybe I should get back into that programming Master’s program here in Raleigh and take another crack at it :)

On topic, I pretended to be a huge Bama and Florida fan for the entirety of middle school to bug my local friends, as I was at the time very bitter against Tennessee–even more than nowadays, which might be hard to believe, heh. The fury of youth, right? Anyway, the sham lasted until someone asked me literally anything about either team. . . all I really know even to this day is that for some reason, Alabamans (Alabamians?) like to roll Tide jugs downhill.

Brother I get all of that. I have followed your comments on RPGs a lot longer than Pathfinder. I think you do what you do and it is a good thing. I saw that you weren’t running a cpu game which made me more fascinated.

Drag back into cpu RPGS. We can’t rely only on old Scott “never has seen a game he doesn’t like” Lufkin. We need a rules guy. Both of you are a crazy mix of good people.

(he really is an optimist)

Scott really is a great dude, and I love reading his perspectives on games. I think it’s so easy to get caught up on the nuisances and bugs and hitches and development drama and rough spots and weird choices and forget that, theoretically, we’re all doing this to fact fun and enjoy ourselves. I mean, except pro gamers. I guess they’re doing it to get rich or fuck up their wrists for life trying.

So Scott’s joyful, positive, excited voice is one that I really value. He does an amazing job at identifying what’s most fun and cool and hype about a new game experience and zooming in on it till all the other stuff just falls away. That’s a kind of magic man.

I’m even gonna tag ya, @Scotch_Lufkin, so you know why your ears are burning!

For me, the drift from digital games was to allow me to pursue that which made me happiest. Games were moving further and further from what interested me, all loaded down with early access shenanigans and mandatory DLC and in app purchases and pay to win and always online and highly scripted uninteractive blandness. I wasn’t fast or sharp or dedicated enough to be able to keep up with multiplayer, so they became increasingly isolating, too, as I left behind the halcyon high school days of GameCube parties and the old gang split across a dozen cities.

Tabletop gaming held what I craved. The innately social, collaborative experience. The utterly unlimited creativity. The ultimate DIY ethos of homebrewing… Make the game your own, and you don’t even need to learn C++ and Maya to do it! Plus all the storytelling and action and excitement and character development and decision making I craved from games in general.

Toss in cooking elaborate meals 2-3x/week, date night with the missus, and a couple of concerts a month, and suddenly I’m just getting to sit down at my PC without any prior commitment for tiny slivers of time here and there… And mobile gaming still exemplifies everything I disliked in the first place.

So…yeah. Nothing at all to do with football now, but definitely at the core of me now. I’d love to get to experience where games have gone over the last five or seven years, but damn if I know where to find the time.

Mind, I coulda knocked out a few DQ quests tonight, if I hadn’t spent the last hour watching Tom and Christien talk about beer and play with adorable animals…

Dq stands for “Dairy Queen” (says Tom) == but that is one of the best RPGS in the last few years. You are a legend to the lurkers that never say a thing! Plus Sevier county? lol. Amazing.

BTW AP I am glad you returned to the computer. There are some fantastic rpgs now. In fact I would declare it the new golden age of rpgs if I were Tom or someone with gamer cred.

The Jets are going down in flames this week… you can bank on it!

I hope Cousins doesn’t screw up!

Awwww, thanks for the kind words Armando, much appreciated!

And there is no way I’d consider moving from video games and focusing on tabletop gaming (and time with the missus) as missing out on anything. Tabletop gaming rules. I try to get together with my son and @ShivaX several times a year to play everything from Fallout and Talisman to Gloomhaven, and if we had enough players and a way to do it regularly, we’d be very deep into our own home brewed D&D campaign as well.

Got the Pats losing this week, because frankly I don’t see another game on the schedule to pick them - gotta bite the bullet at some point.

Gonna go with the panthers losing a tough road game to the Eagles, who have finally started to play like the superbowl winning team they were last year.

There’s more teams (32) than weeks (uh… 18?), though, so I don’t think you’re forced to pick each team through the course of the year. So you don’t really have to pick the Pats if you don’t want to.

Good point, and another reason why not drinking coffee this morning was a mistake!

So nobody picked Denver or Arizona this week (getting it all out of our systems in earlier weeks, perhaps)

I almost took AZ, but…I never take Home teams in our adventure. The odds are with me on that debate, as a general rule.