Nintendo Switch

Did anyone end up playing Rune Factory 4 Special? @WarpRattler posted a bit before getting it, but not after. Does not bode well? :)

I hear it ain’t so great, something about tiny text and rather than doing a proper interface port they give you a zoom button? Is that real bad? I would play mostly docked.

I did love the actual game itself on 3DS and it’s on sale.

If you liked Rune Factory 4, there are enough advantages to the port that it’s probably worth getting on sale, but it’s rather bare-bones in some frustrating ways, and there are some weird issues with the script where they didn’t bother to change things like tooltips for the new platform (I even ran across a prompt that referred to the Circle Pad).

Thanks, it’s 21% off here - pretty tempted.

I’m having trouble understanding what the point of the hyrule warriors game is… Is it just mindlessly murdering a million grunt enemies that seemingly don’t even fight back?

If it’s like any Muso game, the grunts are a ressource you exploit to get the upper hand against the commanders.
Usually, the games are meant to not be a challenge until you push them to Hard difficulty onward.

You have to kill enough bad guys to progress certain things. And you aren’t just worried about them attacking you, but your allies in various forts and stuff as well; otherwise you’ll lose ground (or fail to take enough to advance/win). And there are bigger guys that can wallop you. There are time limits, meaning if you don’t kill enough to protect/progress/expand enough you will lose. The threat is often much more than your physical well being.

So we were just gifted a Switch and a Ring Fit Adventure! Yay! Any suggestions on an affordable second dock so we can switch it between two TV’s, please?

You will really want to get an official dock; sometimes Nintendo stocks refurbs on their website for less.

Unfortunately due to some very strange ways that the Switch breaks standard USB3 Power Delivery protocol when docked, most if not all third party docks have a concerning chance to cause system damage, especially if the system goes to sleep charging on them. You could easily get away with it for weeks, months, maybe forever, but there’s a pretty substantial body of evidence that even fairly recent models still don’t perfectly replicate the power flow of the stock dock in ways that could be problematic.

There’s some good videos on YouTube by Wulffden that have more detail on this if you’re curious, including analysis of more recent, potentially safer third party docks.

Not all. There were some cheap third party docks that caused system damage, but AFAIK nobody has reported system damage with this travel-oriented dock:

The Insignia dock sold at Best Buy also had no reported issues, but it’s been discontinued.

I’ve been happily using the Jumpgate for over a year as well.

You want a good power supply, since the Switch has non-standard power requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Voltage-Charger-Nintendo-Switch-Supports/dp/B073PVPC41/

The dock is less important. Almost any USB-C HDMI adapter will work, but here’s a basic upright Switch option.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Portable-Docking-Replacement-Official-Charging/dp/B07T9LB5QY/

Perfect! Thank you!

I played Mario Kart Live a bit today since the copy we had ordered for our office arrived. Quite neat and easy to set up. Since the second copy is still stuck in delivery, I could only check out singleplayer against AI drivers. If you just look at the RC car, it comes across as slow - but when you play it on the Switch via camera, the speed feels right. Mind you, I’ve only tried out 50ccm.

Does it work at all on carpet?

Only tried it our on the office floor (hard surface) and fine carpet. The latter didn’t seem to be much of a problem. I’m guessing the small wheels would struggle on a carpet that has a much rougher and fuzzier texture to it, but that’s it.

Mario version seems to be sold out everywhere in the UK already.

This looks so cool.

Shame my Switch was in storage for 7 months and now doesn’t charge :(

Is this the same game I have on Steam already or are they doing anything new?