Nintendo Switch

Good job willing this into existence! Though that Astral Chain fakeout had me doubting for a moment there.

Apparently the director did Astral Chain.

It looks way different than what I expected. The teaser was pretty dark and this looks much more upbeat and cheery. That lends some support to the rumor that it was rebooted at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUAtX8Ox7eI

Some great stuff in there. Kirby’s The Last of Us (props to @Mike_Cathcart on that one) looked pretty cool. Bayonetta 3 stole the show for me, but Splatoon 3 looks fabulous too.

For anyone not sure, that is an excellent selection of Genesis games, many of which are super pricey. MUSHA alone is worth $800. It also is one of the best shooters on the system (and kinda among the best ever). Depends what the upcharge is, but if you want to play Genesis games, those are superb choices.

The GBA Castlevanias are also all excellent and you’ll be able to actually see Circle of the Moon’s great graphic design too.

Also, Actraiser Renaissance music is all YUZO!

Fuckin all right.

Now if we can only get DS on there too… I mean I still have a working DS but cart prices range from cheap to left kidney for anything well known.

With all the maps, status screen, inventory as “gadgets” filling the screen like in M2 releases!
Ah, if only…

That is actually real?!

Anya Taylor Joy as Peach
Charlie Day as Luigi (lol at Miyamoto calling him timid)
Jack Black as Bowser
Keegan Michael Key as Toad
Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong

All made by Illumination. Ok, fine, I’ll take my kids to go see it.

Chris Pratt as Mario sounds awful.

Because Chris Pratt, or because as Mario?

Honest question, thoughts on the Lego movies?

I liked the first Lego movie a lot. Less so the sequel.

I like Chris Pratt. I like Mario.

Chris Pratt as Mario just sounds like a bad choice.

Fair enough. Mario feels more like a straight man type, and Pratt an odd choice for it. I’m trying to think who would be a good fit though and striking out. Chris Hemsworth is great as a straight man in a wacky world, but is an even worse fit because I can’t imagine his voice coming out of someone who looks like… Mario.

reddit already figured out what’s going on with Bayonetta 3.

Bayo 1 and 2 spoilers, and probably Bayo 3 spoilers if they're right

I still have to finish 1, I… appreciate it, but am not big into it…

Bought ActRaiser and played through the first action part. Will dig in more this weekend and see how the changes they made work out. Not a fan of the graphics in the first side scrolling level but screenshots make later environments maybe look better? Hoping they didn’t ruin the settlement stuff, but at least they didn’t just get rid of it. One of my biggest disappointments as a child was discovering that Actraiser 2 had ditched that half of the game.

Everything is awesome.

Especially the first one, but the second one is an OK sequel to a movie which should be almost impossible to do a good sequel to.

It might not hit the mark for adults, but I’m 99% sure this is going to be good silly fun that most children and child-at-hearts will love.

This was my first real Nintendo Direct.

Are they usually this underwhelming? Seriously, the guy in charge of making the Nintendo 64 portion of the videos could have done a MUCH much better job. And the music choices throughout were terrible. Again, focusing on the N64, which I should have been super excited for, could have had way better video clips and music choices. Probably the Sega Genesis too, though I can’t comment specifically on that, maybe the Genesis was just a boring console and they didn’t have much to work with. But I KNOW the N64, and can comment on that part at least.

I don’t know about “underwhelming” but Nintendo Direct’s are a more low-key than the other platform holders’ shows.

I guess I always liked the idea of not doing “live shows” and doing pre-recorded presentations instead because then you could spruce up the audio/video presentation to a polished shine.

This is purely a problem of personal expectations and style preference. You are used to the bombast and Bayhem of other console manufacturers, which isn’t Nintendo’s game.

As for the Genesis, at the time they presented themselves as the cooler and edgier console to the kid friendly Nintendo.It wasn’t quite so true of the actual games, at the end of the day, but it definitely had a certain attitude.

It is a solid list of games. Start with Ecco and Sonic 2 with your kid.

The one trailer that I thought was an exception was the Metroid Dread trailer. Whoever put that together, I guess to put it in your terms, is more schooled in bombast and Bayhem. :)