Nintendo Switch

Is that the one you wanted everyone to buy?

No past tense. Still want everyone to buy it.

But that’s th e one you mentioned and also streamed like 6-12 months ago? Just want to make sure I’m thinking of the right game.

It is. It’s the best top down racer to have come in so long a time, it stands proudly on its pedestal!

Shin Megami Tensei V got preloaded - it’s finally really happening!

Reviews suggest it was worth the lengthy wait! :)

Your way of thinking is utter heresy, of course, but Nintendo tolerates those of other, lesser religions.

Switch version finally? I’ll gladly double dip for portable version.

Me too! It’s soooo great.

I hadn’t looked at in a while, but the button mapping at the Switch system level now supports remapping just about anything. It will stay with the controller too, so you could have a regular controller and your converted “xbox style” controller.

Right, but as discussed above, you’ve got games like Link’s Awakening that use the XYAB buttons like they’re a d-pad in some situation. So they’re telling you to press the top button to go upwards, and the right button to go right. But if you switched them to be like Xbox, then you have to press the left button to go up, and the down button to go right. Which gets downright confusing.

Hadn’t really considered games like that, I don’t have Link’s Awakening. But yeah, if you don’t have two controllers with diff schemes, you’d have to change that up every time you played games like that.

I’ve done one small bit with my setup, and that’s switching the functions of the + button and the right stick click function. I play several games that use right click and it bugs me, so why not.

Skimmed through reviews, and besides the same 5 screenshots and praise for combat everywhere (duh, it’s Shin Megaten!), I couldn’t find any sort of info about how the dungeons gameplay is.
Some reviews say there are few dungeons. One review says it’s a dungeon crawler. Another one tries to describe something that makes barely any sense (“there are no dungeons but you go everywhere and it’s the dungeon-what?”) and another made it , god forbid, sound like an ubistuff thing.

So many words. So little info.

This one paints a good picture.

Shin Megami Tensei V ‘s flow is super interesting, due to the greater emphasis on roaming through sandboxes, with light platforming elements. Chrono Trigger style, you can see all of the enemies out in the overworld — including superbosses, of which there are many. You can opt to take the offensive and slash at them for a better chance at gaining the initiative in the subsequent combat, or you can run from their attempts to chase you down.

I was kind of taken aback, in a good way, at how big those biomes are. Generally, you’ll progress through some story bits, get introduced to another huge map (which takes several hours, if not more to clear), do more critical-path story, then jump back into another biome. With this formula, you can set your own pace in terms of how much you choose to explore, fight, or get through the narrative.

The beauty of Shin Megami Tensei V , and why I was constantly drawn to it, is that nothing feels like it’s wasted or left behind. If you miss an area and a few power-ups/items, it’s not the end of the world. You quickly unlock a full fast-travel system that lets you go back to any save point in the game, across multiple regions. So if you have a quest you got in the first five hours, and feel like completing it at some point in say, hour 15, you can go back and do that.

It sounds intriguing, but a bit too convenient all in all, and definitely not a dungeon crawler.
I think I’ll grab Yomi next.

Well it’s at least a good sign that reviews are out so early, and not embargoed!

I haven’t read reviews yet but the impression I got from previews was it’s more in the Dragon Quest X style than the grid-based random encounter style. Enemies visible on the map. But bigger world levels with more exploration than DQX.

Undernauts? Or Yomi the card game that’s on Steam?

In any case, a strange beast! But I miss having to navigate mazes.

Undernauts!

I refuse to post this in the Bargain thread, since it’s not really a bargain, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe physical cart is $40 at Walmart, an all time low price, so I bought it. Ugh. I hate myself. Paying $44 for a 7.5 year old game feels so wrong.

Nintendo games don’t really do the whole ‘race to the bottom’ thing. If it’s any consolation, it’s a fantastic game, full of content, that is well worth the price? :)