Nintendo Switch

Yeah, will have to keep an eye on it, see when they come back into stock. Kid entertainment is a priority now with working from home!

Supply chain is currently part of the problem. I think sales are up as well, though. People are looking for family things to do inside.

Got lucky and found one on Walmart as it came back in stock for regular price, whew. If we want to play Animal Crossing with 4 people on couch co-op, do I just need one extra controller set? Iā€™m completely unfamiliar with Switch stuff at this point!

Youā€™ll need another pair of Joycons, yeah.

Also thereā€™s a sort of a guide from IGN here.

Or 4 Pro Controllers if youā€™re loaded, I guess.

Edit: The Switch can take up to 8 controllers at once, so you could also do 4 pairs of Joycons so everyone has 2. I havenā€™t ever had to think this hard before.

Yeah, if everyone is fine holding half a controller sideways. It works for a lot of switch games but it doesnā€™t feel great if you have big hands. They make pretty cheap plastic shells you can pop them into that feel more like a controller that arenā€™t bad:

Those also come with thumbstick grips, which are a great idea for the joycons. Just extends the stick a bit but makes a big difference. I havenā€™t used the ones that come with that grip but theyā€™re probably not too different than what I have.

Ah very well cool, thanks everyone!

If Iā€™m not loaded, anyone tried the 3rd party controllers on Amazon? Will research and see how many weā€™d actually need.

If you play games with simple controls (no dual sticks, a lot of multiplayer games are designed that way to appease with the split joycon design), @DaveLongā€™s recommended M30 is quite cheap and the best gamepad ever made.
Downside is that some games require dual sticks, of course.

I used one of these for a while: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786JC6VW/
If you already have other console controllers lying around, you can use one on the Switch with this. Though sadly you can only add one, and each only supports one controller at a time. Maybe not useful if you need 4 players though.

Oh interesting - we have a bunch of PS4 controllers so this would at least alleviate the need for a Pro controller for games that need it.

Will check out the M30 as well - thanks!

Yeah but then you still need to buy either two of those adapters or another controller to get enough for 4 players as well.

A second set of joy-cons gives you both a 2nd full controller and enough single joy-cons for most 4 player games. And you can get some cool different coloursā€¦ ;)

One of the adapters for me, a second set of joy-cons (though the 3rd party that looked more comfortable) for them. Best of both worlds!

Yeah, Iā€™d recommend a second set of Joycons. They are the best way to ensure whatever game you buy for four players will work correctly. Having another Pro-style controller is good if you want that usage as well.

M30 is the best d-pad and buttons controller ever made IMO (Thanks @Left_Empty). If you want sticks though, either the adapter or the Nintendo Pro are good options.

Ehh youā€™ll find those promise compatibility with most Switch gamesā€¦ if theyā€™re way cheaper then I guess it may be worth a shot

Note to Discord - Cross post from Doom thread, fucking Discord, Iā€™ll post the same damned link in another thread if I want to, you fucking robot.

Local non-corporate game store, fearing lockdowns, sold all their Animal Crossings starting at 6pm tonight. Iā€™m playing my nieceā€™s copy because my digital one wonā€™t unlock until ten. Woooooooooo

It amuses me that we still call it Discord.

Thatā€™s amazing, thanks for sharing in both threads. Forgot to check back on it and this reminded me!

A bunch of cool stuff is on sale on the eShop right now, including some cool titles on sale on Switch for the first or second time ever and some exciting historical lows. I ended up picking up Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster ($25, historical low on Switch but itā€™s been on sale for this price before), Chocoboā€™s Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! ($20, new historical low on Switch), Squidlit ($1, saw a speedrun recently and it looked cute), Child of Light ($5, been on sale at this price for a bit and my sister kept hyping it up), Psyvariar Delta ($20, only been on sale on Switch once before this), and the Tom Chick-recommended Caladrius Blaze ($12.50, first time Iā€™ve seen it on sale on Switch).

Caladrius Blaze had my interest as soon as I saw it was a SHMUP. Then I saw the anime titties. Now I have to choose between this and DOOM Eternal.

So, I purchased Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Can it really be we dont have a thread for it?)

And its great. Butā€¦after about an hour and a half of playing, it seems I have run out of things to do? My house will be ready tomorrow and that seems to be real time tomorrow? Thatsā€¦certainly an interesting way to set up a game.

I assume its meant to be played a little every day, then?