Nintendo Switch

Yeah apparently the first week or so is quite slow, my switch is due today so will take a look

Nice, @Reemul! Hope you and your family get to enjoy it immensely, as a bright spot in these days :-)

Yeah totally, i popped out and picked up Zelda for me, Mario Tennis Aces for all of us so we can play and also aim to get Golf Story as an avid golfer.

Fitness Boxing will be next so the boys and I can work out together when stuck in doors

Yep, that’s exactly how it’s meant to be played. You can’t really binge it. I remember being unemployed with Wild World and having so much time to keep coming back, and that’s the worst way to ‘enjoy’ it! It’s very chill and doesn’t expect you to be hammering it. Drop in, have a potter about, see what’s going on, do what you want, drop out and come back later, even at a different time of day.

I will say, and this is my first AC game so I am not expert, that it sounds like this one has the most “play as much and as long as you want” stuff going on with the Nook Miles and other little tasks and things you can work on, though some reviews hinted it takes a bit of time for that stuff to start showing up?

I wanted to play a bit more myself today but I got sucked into Doom and then had to get into work. I did play a little, got my tent set up and played through that first day, now a skeletal dog is playing a guitar and singing to me, so that’s where I have the game suspended, and I’ll hit it at lunch.

The best way to play Animal Crossing is like half an hour to an hour a day and with friends.

In a lot of ways, that’s the opposite of what how I play video games, haha!

I did really like what I saw - it looks so good (in hand held, I didn’t play docked yet) and it features just amazing animation and character. Wow. I made my character look like a huge derpy dork and he’s awesome, I’m eager to jump back in.

It sounds like there is some randomization with regards to things like the fruit native to your island, and your starting two villagers. What fruit and villagers did everyone get? I got pears (which is awesome, I love pears), and a Hippo lady in an amazing spider-shirt named Cherry, and a french yellow… frog? His name is unpronouncable or typeable. What I thought were his ears started blinking while he talked, which legit freaked me out, and then I realized his cheeks looked like closed eyes but his eyes are actually on top of his head, like a frog.

How goal oriented is this one? Between the real time stuff and the open-endedness I’ve fallen off previous Animal Crossings pretty quick. Something a little more directed like Stardew Valley or even Harvest Moon is more my thing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-20-animal-crossing-new-horizons-has-a-bunch-of-cute-freebies-if-you-spend-two-minutes-downloading-pocket-camp

EDIT: I just did this and fair warning, it takes probably 10 minutes after you finally download and launch the app to get through the little tutorial stage before you are then asked to pull down almost 600MB worth of additional data, and then you have the menu option (and the free reign to click on it) this article speaks of.

I wish I could answer this with more authority, but I’m super new to the series and this game yet. However, several reviews mentioned it, and were later commented favorably by folks on the Era thread, so I suspect it’s fairly goal oriented, much more so (by far, sounds like) than any previous game yet.

Not very far in, but the Nook Miles at least give you a bunch of little goals to go after.

Probably more goal oriented than most of the others, but you’re not going to get the Harvest Moon level of experience with Animal Crossing IMO. It’s more about hanging out and socializing and now also about arranging your blank slate of an island how you like it.

I’m about an hour into Animal Crossing now, and I’m pretty sure this game is about joining a cult.

To frag like it’s 1997, the remastered Doom 64 is available for $5. It’s kind of an interesting artifact. Sort of a cross between Doom 1 & 2 with unique levels.

Most obvious age thing is that you cannot look up or down, and there is no multiplayer support. But the remaster looks buffed up a bit, supports gyro aim, and of course, still has that super “Unmaker” weapon that never made it into another Doom.

Edit: should mention that’s it’s free if you get Doom Eternal on the switch.

There seems to be a lack of Switch game threads. I mean we had a Pokemon generation arrive, even. :) Maybe they aren’t that popular here, I guess. Probably no one wants to chit-chat about Pokemon Let’s Go or Rune Factory 4 or such things. :)

You’re about 16 hours late on that one, buddy.

lol! I thought I was, but everyone should see it. :)

So I haven’t personally touched the switch in a while, turns out my son has somehow been dealing with terrible drift on the left controller (he finds it kind of funny, apparently.) Calibration didn’t help, so I created the joy-con repair ticket. How long does it usually take for Nintendo to ship a new controller back?

Should take a few months to recover, as their insides are clearly made out of toilet paper rolls.