No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Thanks for the reply, but actually, I’m talking about a small ramp that heads up (from the outside) to a door that’s maybe the equivalent of two or three feet off the ground, like the ones on zillions of planetside buildings everywhere. A ladder doesn’t work for that, right, unless you can tilt it?

I think that is simply “ramp”, there are no small ones. The parts that are too long will disappear in the ground.

So, new to me, floating crystals. Went over and found, strangely enough, several floating crystals. I ended up with:

Destabilised Sodium
Rare Metal Element
Tetracobalt
Superoxide Crystal
Chloride Lattice
Carbon Crystal

Is this good?

Have you fired off an economy scanner search from orbit above that planet? It may or may not turn up a Trading Post on the closest planet but usually I feel it does. (If it turns up a TP somewhere else you have to go visit it before attempting another search. On a PC this search is done with the X menu then over to “settings” is it? The gear wheel to the left. Same place you go to change your 1st person / 3rd person look in your ship.

On the planet itself you can try using the Signal Booster with a Navigation Data chip and the “Scan Habitable Outposts” sometimes turns up Trading Posts I believe.

I’ve heard it said that you can sometimes stumble upon TPs by following flying NPC ships. I don’t believe I’ve tried this.

I have not found good use for them except to sell them. I believe that they break down to more basic elements (Cobalt, Carbon, etc.) if you put them in the hopper. But they are not used in recipes afaik.

Thanks. I sort of feared that. I was hoping that I had found the mother lode. :) Well, units are units.

Thanks for this. I just made one and was wondering what to do with it.

Edit: NMS has recently become my ‘what time is it already?’ game. When I first got it I was lukewarm about it, at best. Since the NEXT update I’m really enjoying the exploration.

I did find one thing that I needed a superoxide crystal to craft, but now I can’t remember what it was.

I’m perplexed. How do I find, build or purchase a technology module? I need 2 for an advanced mining laser. I have visited technology merchants on space stations, and no one has anything by that name (though they have other modules).

They’re sold at the trade terminals in stations or in settlements on planets.

Little known fact: You can actually also use the economy scanner while on a planet to find trading posts there. You don’t have to use it from space.

Thanks. The in-game guide says they’re sold my merchants, but they’re not. They’re sold at a the terminals, as you noted. Silly me for believing what the game says!

Still, though, really starting to love this now that I have a good home base and am used to the UI.

Wait, WHAT?!

You don’t know how many times I’ve taken off back into orbit and then econ-scanned. Oy.

I’d say the primary reason is to use it in coordination with the galaxy map when you are scouting what new system you want to warp to next. Two ways: One - now when you consider different systems in addition to which race controls it you can see A) what type of economy they have (Scientific, Mining, etc.) and B) how strong their economy is; poor, average or wealthy. AND two - you can use the economy filter which changes the star colors from standard (yellow, green, red, blue systems) to 7 colors which correspond to the 7 different types of economy.

For me, I use it to avoid any systems except wealthy systems. I figure anything the other ones have, the wealthy ones do only moreso. Especially when I’m looking for “S” class and exotic ships. (They spawn more frequently in wealthy systems.)

Wait. Like while I’m parked? Maybe that way I can actually find a proper big trading post on this “Paradise” planet I’ve got my base on. All I’ve found so far are these dinky small ones with maybe one pad.

You actually found a planet that has no actual storms? I do not really believe these exist, with the exception of dead worlds with little to no atmosphere. For example, on the world I am on, the weather is rated as “Pleasant”. Storms are very rare, but when they happen, are they pleasant? Fuck No, they are face-melting scalding rain.

It is somewhere in the quick menu when you are flying in the atmosphere.

In my previous game before I restarted with the NEXT update my base was on such a planet. It was the second or third planet (in the first system) I ever visited. An earth-like planet w/o any storms ever. And I don’t believe I’ve seen one since.

The second planet I visited (as in, just after fixing my ship) is a Verdant planet with no storms. You will always get a storm when you’re doing the initial part of the questline to build a base, but there have been no storms after that.

Can anyone explain how hazard protection works? If I have a module that gives me Radiation protection, is that just an extra “life bar” or does it reduce the rate I lose the bar?

It’s an extra bar you have to feed. So the extra protection will burn down and then your hazard protection starts to lose power. The bad point is the material they take for power is different from the basic hazard protection, which means giving over inventory slots to the materials for them.

I have thermal modules for hot and cold, but I’m so lazy that I just leave them empty and then carry extra sodium for the standard hazard protection.