No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Just change the filter in the galaxy map to Lifeform, you’ll see the Gek systems coloured green! :)

BTW something funny happened earlier today. I was at a trading post and saw this sweet looking B-class fighter with 26 slots, quite a step up from my 20+4 C-class shuttle. so I go to the trouble of buying it and transferring what inventory I could, paid over 6 million clams for it and on its maiden flight I realize WTF it’s NOT SYMMETRICAL. It had the left wing long and the right wing short, and I’d only been looking at if from the one side. I thought all fighters were symmetrical.
Uh uh I’m thinking Homie don’t play that. Luckily I had a manual save to fall back on. I’ll take asymmetry in Explorers but in Fighters? NOPE.

They are supposed to yes.

Positron Ejector. Crappy weapon. Excellent mining tool.

Is that the space shotgun?

Yeah. One shot at a large asteroid is about 200 of whatever. As opposed to, PEWPEWPEW overheat, rinse repeat.

Today I ended up trading my trusty C-class shuttle for an A-class one with more slots. At one point I saw this godly A Class fighter which, while not much to look at, had 38 general slots and 12 tech slots. Needless to say it was unbeLIEVably expensive:

Err, does anyone know what it means when you can’t board your own freighter? The approach light beams are red and there’s the sound of an alarm or something.

Maybe it’s under attack?

Was planning to relocate to a new system/planet today, but got sidetracked while cleaning up a bunch of confusing quests. Then I fell down the base build quest rabbit hole and I’m still working on that.

My original/current base is on a hill overlooking a trading post, on a decent Gek planet in a yellow star system. Starter system/planet base, I guess. First thing I discovered about the spot I picked, aside from the inconvenience of trying to build on a hill, was that the noise from all the ship traffic next door is deafening. The hilly area around my base and the fact that it’s perched on the edge makes it tricky to land my ship, and so it was a relief when the base building missions finally unlocked a landing pad. Finally, I’d have a more convenient way to land at my base.

Nope. As soon as I installed the platform, some other guy immediately lands there. So I wait a bit for an opening, but I just can’t land quickly enough before some other jerk sneaks in and lands. So I’m still parking on the ground. Turns out there’s more than one downside to having your base near a trading post: tons of local traffic and no dedicated residential parking.

Are they hailing you? Maybe you missed it?

Nah, I did a Google search and it was more like what @barstein guessed. As soon as I’d exited the freighter the last time, I’d been scanned and attacked by pirates. I guess the fact that I’d killed all the attacking ships hadn’t registered. A quick reload fixed the problem.

BTW, whatever they did in 1.58 screwed up inventory slots majorly. I just unlocked a cargo inventory slot for the exosuit via a drop pod earlier and it’s just not showing up at all.

Finally, a question about the major quest lines, Atlas and Artemis-- do they just end up merging into one, because it sure seems like they do so far.

That’s weird, Papageno. I’m guessing the battle hadn’t ended successfully somehow.

Just cleared out my inventories and went out exploring. I think I found a system that will work. I may have to make a few stops on the way for more warp fuel. Edit: Lost track of that one, went to this one instead using the Species filter:

Made it! Found a great planet right away:

Arrived on Enri Minor at night, so not sure how pretty it is yet on the surface.

I immediately found a building with a great-looking replacement multi-tool.

Edit: Not too shabby so far:

Nice!

Edit: My new tool.

Neat story on NMS on rockpapershotgun today two days ago about the Galactic Atlas:

Newb here (still, though 26 hours in). I finally reached a point where I can warp to another system. So kinda finally out of the tutorial portion, I think.

Anyway, I managed not to take my portable refiner with me. Now I need warp fuel or antimatter or something or another to get back to my home system/base. But to warp back I need ingredients like chromatic metal that can only be made with the refiner.

So am I stuck in a galactic Catch-22?

Can’t you just go to the local station and use the teleporter there to get back?

(BTW it takes a while before you remember to always pick up your portable tech. Happens to everyone at first).

I’m at 30 hours myself and I’ve never used a teleporter. ELI5?

What’s ELI5?

This typically means “explain like I’m 5”
edit - if it’s then followed by ELI4, that means “even simpler, please”