No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Next time you load your game you’ll find it in your freighter, though you might have to fix it before it’s able to fly again.

Heh, I used to dig a tunnel, lure the sentinel in, run back out past him and close the tunnel up behind me. It doesn’t raise the alert level, and you can then just go about your business normally.

I hope the third pillar addresses this point of the game play loop. Sentinels really become a drag and nuisance once you get a multi tool that can kill them pretty easily. The infinite respawn just makes it worse. I would love for them to put procedural content that would make caves more fun to explore with things to fight and loot to find. Adding dungeons to the ruins would be great too.

But even without that this game can be really fun if you just want to chill and go look at landscapes. The problem I have right now is that I have all the exotic ships I want and 250 million space bucks and a bunch of bases. Beyond should charge up my motivation. If you can tame and collect those mounts that would be awesome.

This IGN video got mentioned on the reddit. Some really interesting new stuff and footage I think. Sean mentions forming “fire teams” for missions in the nexus. That sounds pretty awesome.

Question from the ignorant peanut gallery: Have they ever added the ability to set up a private game? Co-op with friends is good, randos dropping into my game and wrecking up the joint is not.

If you owned the freighter prior to finding and claiming the crashed ship, then the crashed ship will be in the hanger deck of your freighter. It will be heavily damaged, and require a lot of materials to fully repair. My experience was that unless it was a Class-S ship with features you really want, it’s not worth the time and effort to repair crashed ships. One thing you can do if you find a valuable crashed ship though is just repair the engines, then leave it in your hanger. When you find a system with aliens piloting ships you really want to own for yourself, you can summon your freighter to that system, then swap into the crashed ship and fly it to the nearest space station or trading post and offer to purchase one of the aliens ships. You’ll get credit for the value of the crashed ship you’re flying, and the alien will take it off your hands when he gives you his. I saved 20mil credits off the price of my really nice s-Class Hauler (which still cost me 80mil additional credits) by trading it’s alien owner a junked A-Class I found on a planet.

As for Sentinels, if you simply triggered them by accidentally shooting one or getting caught over gathering resources, you can usually just hop in your ship and fly off a little ways and the “Wanted” counter will tick down to zero, making them calm again. If you kill one though, you have to go dock at a space station to make them stop chasing you. When I was raiding planetary industrial buildings for blueprints I would shoot open the locked doors (with my ships lasers), triggering the Sentinel guards, then fly off a little ways away and let them calm down, return when the counter dropped off, land, and stroll right through the blown off doors to collect my prize.

I hope someone can answer, but I thought I played this co-op with a friend briefly and it was private. I know I hate random MP, so I think I would remember that irking me, but I could totally be misremembering.

From the video, it sounds like the third pillar is them going full Minecraft/Factorio. Which is great for people who like that kind of thing, but not me unfortunately. Again, I’m thinking it’d be a better fit for my 6 year old.

OK thanks for all the great tips everyone! Just started repairing one of the crashed ships I found, but then I´ll definitely only repair the engines.

A list of nice and not so nice things so far:

• Checking out new planets. This is by far the best part. Warping (after a lot of farming) into a new galaxy and checking out the planets. Going in through the atmosphere and seeing what kind of landscape enfolds there is definitely the most exciting part. Looking forward to being able to do so a bit more often.
  • Building a base. Although it takes time, and I built my first base on a shitty planet (can I move the entire structure?), I still like coming there, saying hello to my workers and building something new.
  • Learning words. Just to have three different words pop up when I talk to a random alien is great. Looking forward to more.

Not so nice:

• NO MAP. With all that equipment, I find it unbelievable he wouldn´t be able to summon some sort of map. Just a planetary overview of things you´ve discovered. So tired of finding crashed freighters, drop pods and whatever and having no clue where they are later in the game.
  • If you build more than one base on a planet, you have no way to know which one is which when coming in to the planet by spaceship. They´re all called “Home Base”.
  • SPACE TRAVELLING. Why is it so slow!!! I get that a planet is large but flying by spaceship from one point to another on a planet shouldn´t be taking THIS LONG. Dear god.
  • Space shooting. How are we even supposed to hit those stupid pirates. Plus they are spawning too frequently.
  • Inventory slots filling up. Don´t get me started. Haven´t been able to get more slots in my suit, and the ones I have are quickly filling up with upgrades instead. Barely anything left.
  • Already activated beacons, artifacts and monoliths STILL SHOWING UP AT THE MAP. Is this a joke? Could they just mark it as activated instead? Again - a MAP where already activated or checked stuff (and let´s not even talk about depleted mineral sources) is marked somehow.
  • Not being able to see what´s inside a container. Can´t we just OPEN it and check if we want what´s inside, instead of destroying something more valuable just to get something shitty back?
  • Losing valuable items because inventory is full. Seriously. Had a chat with the lil Gek at the Anomaly, he gave me something but I didn´t get it cause my inventory was full (hadn´t noticed). I´m guessing whatever he gave me was better than… say oxygen or ammunition for that crappy bolt gun.

oh well. I guess I have to stop exploring and just focus on upgrading things one at a time, and not checking out all points of interest I find along the way. But if the not so nice list keeps racking up and taking over the nice stuff, I don´t know how long I´ll be able to stick around.

I assume flying is slow because they had to come up with a way to force players to take substantial amounts of real time before getting to “end states”, especially early in the release cycle when there was much less to do. I think most games have such time-wasting features, but many are better at hiding the fact that they exist for that purpose.

Space combat is admittedly annoying. Certain weapons are way more effective than others on pirates. Unfortunately it’s been a long time since I played, and I don’t remember which are which anymore. One thing you can do sometimes is dive down into a planet’s atmosphere, where enemy flight patterns are much more constrained. Early on, your weapons are horrible, so you should consider paying up when confronted by pirates instead of fighting them.

Inventory expansion is one of their big motivators in the early phase of the game for gaining wealth. Eventually you will have a lot more inventory slots, but early on you do have to keep throwing stuff away until you have acquired a big cargo ship and upgraded your suit and so on.

This is probably a really dumb question but you’re using the warp speed travel mode? I never felt like it took that long, but then I came to this after playing Elite so that may have warped (no pun intended) my expectations.

Edit: doh, I misread on my phone, I thought you said flying from one planet to another.

If you get enough altitude, you can go really fast. I tend to skip along the top of the atmosphere.

If you are having problems getting from one side of the planet to the other for POI’s you are best do a sort of suborbital hop. Get above the atmosphere and line up the icon that you want to go through, then hit the space bar and go to the fast drive or warp or whatever it is called. You should skim the atmosphere and get there a lot faster.

Yeah, this is definitely the best way, but it can still take 5 minutes or so of real time, so it’s still annoying. Not as annoying as one hour of flying at low level, though…

My understanding (and I could have this wrong, but it’s what I got from the research I did a patch or two ago) was that you could set up a multiplayer game but couldn’t make it private.

If you get the chance find the @tomchick video of the first time he played it. It’s hilarious.

Edit: Here it is.

Your main complaints seem to be about inventory and map. The suit/ship inventory slots are one of the prime progression motivators in the game, so if not having enough is irritating (and I know it is) then you need to make it your mission to get more. It’s something I spend a lot of time on early game.

I’ve explained how to increase suit inventory earlier. You say you haven’t been able to get more suit slots - start by making sure to buy a new slot at each station you visit. If you can’t afford, sell some of that stuff you’re hoarding that you’ll never use. ;)
Everyone is different, but I find a good way to fund early purchases is to scan flora and fauna on every planet, and upload for the completion bonus. A few scanner upgrades can make this quite lucrative.

Then focus on drop pods. If you can’t build the stuff needed to open drop pods, make it your mission to be able to do that.

• Make sure you’re using all your suit inventories (there are 3) - you say slots are filling with upgrades, have you used up all the dedicated upgrade slots you start with?
  • Transfer commonly held resources into the cargo slots as each slot there holds twice as much.
  • When getting new slots I get the basic ones first, then a few more of the higher capacity cargo slots for holding resources.
  • Make sure you’re transferring stuff to your ship’s inventory as each slot holds more there.
  • Build that ship upgrade that increases inventory teleport range.
  • Always leave a slot free - there is a HUD indicator that tells you when you have no inventory space.
  • Don’t get too attached to stuff - there’s no shortage of it. Sell or discard. :)

A map is a thing often requested by newer players. Personally I consider the scope of the game - 18 quintillion planets - and don’t fixate on individual ones. There will always be more crashed freighters and drop pods. If I find a drop pod I want to open but can’t, I could put a beacon there, drop down a portable refinery, and start gathering required resources near that spot.
Don’t race off to do stuff and hope to come back later. Instead, it’s trivial to find a new one later.

Sort of. The network toggle is “on or off”. But you can set permissions for friends separately, and not allow non-friends to do anything destructive. The default settings are pretty good.

It’s a massive game. There aren’t that many players. In 50+ hours I have had zero random people jump into my game. I play online with friends about half the time.

They have to generate the content on the fly, which is expensive. Here’s a talk about it:

Thus the long opening flight through rainbow stars, I’d guess.