No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Yup, huge QoL upgrade for sure. I like how they apparently snuck it in like that. I’ve noticed a pattern where an essential system like that one (integral to basic planetary exploration) looks incomplete for some time, and then at some point between major updates it gets a quiet overhaul that revolutionizes the feature. I think they pick areas that really deserve the attention. I’m currently hoping that they’ll do something similar with freighter stuff, which is also very deserving of love imo.

Yup, all great tips for sure. Really appreciate the thoughtful advice. I remember doing stuff like this in my last couple of play-throughs. And yeah, seems like there’s always going to be some niggling detail or some feature of a planet you pick for your huge base that makes it a less-than-ideal option. Like this paradise planet I found in a blue star, rich economy Gek system is great, but it has frequent storms. So I’m making it my “main” base for now (storage, basic refinery), but it doesn’t deserve a ton of TLC. It’s always something, isn’t it?

And RE trading post bases, I did that once but the traffic noise got to me. Now I drop a base a within sight of it but not right next to it, and maybe put a basic teleporter and refiner on the platform itself.

Oh, speaking of that, I noticed that portable refiners have waypoint icons now. Very cool, as save beacons are limited to something like ten per planet, which really limits poi waypoint capability.

Yeah, this. Still, I think I’ll be starting on my freighter fleet soon. I have the basic one they give you when you win the space battle, but have done literally nothing with it since, as I’ve been trying to get the Living Ship. Now that’s done, time to build a fleet! Especially since the Mech update apparently adds a freighter room that lets you drop exocraft to any planet in a system with your freighter- no structure needed. That’ll be nice.

Hint:
Just decline freighter offers until you get that S class super ship.

What’s the quickest way to get freighter salvage modules? Destroying cargo pods? Nexus missions? (Which Nexus missions?) Feels like they’re a rare drop when looting crashed freighters.

I got 2 last night doing Freighter Salvage pods. Hit the Nav Map seller, buy distress signals, and start grabbing freighter salvage seems good.

I got one after twenty distress signals. Lots of abandoned buildings, though, so I’ve perfected a new whispering egg harvest method (no more hiding between each egg grab).

Spent some time on Nexus missions, they’re pretty cool. Having other players on the same team felt kind of pointless, though. But I nabbed some good stuff, including one freighter salvage pod.

Did ten more distress signals, no freighter salvage pods this time, so one out of 30 so far. Guess I’ll go attack some NPC freighters next.

Oh my God. I just discovered that in order to bring my freighter to the blue star system I currently reside in, it’ll take 4 hyperdrive upgrades (24 freighter salvage modules!).

Apparently this was changed somewhat recently and has a lot of players confused, in part because the pop-up message you get when you attempt to summon your freighter simply says, “can’t warp freighter here.”

Fortunately, I’m finding a single salvage module at about half the NPC freighters I check, so I guess that’s the quickest way to get them.

What difficulty level are you all playing with?

Normal here. I haven’t checked out the the other modes. I’d suggest experimenting with two save slots, one Normal and one Survival. I hear Survival is kind of brutal, Hardcore (or is it called Permadeath?) even more so.

Damn you guys are making me wanna jump back into this…

Quick update on my freighter salvage module obsession: blowing up cargo ships speeds it up quite a bit. Initially I avoided them because you lose faction points, but later I realized that recovering those points is pretty simple.

What view do you all like to use? 1st person or 3rd person?

Cool I’ll need to remember that.

1st person here, unless I want to pose for a screenshot.

First person, VR if you have a rig. It’s my favorite PSVR game right now. Same game, but the immersion makes it so much cooler.

Another discovery today. If you’re on the hunt for crashed starships (not crashed freighters), your best option is to use a planetary chart for inhabited outposts, and look for transmission towers, which seem to have the best chance of pointing you to crashed starships. You can find transmission towers in other ways, and planetary charts for distress beacons also have a chance of leading you to crashed starships, but the outpost planetary charts seem to be best.

Also, you can scrap starships you don’t want, now, at stations. Good cash return, and drops an item you need for starship inventory increases. All you need to do is repair the engine and limp over to a station for the transaction. After scrapping, your first starship will materialize in the station.

I just went to space station for the first time and inventory space is killing me. How when can I upgrade that? I have no idea what to save and what to sell.

I never remember which balcony it’s on, but on one of them you should find the tube thing marked with the arrows here (this one’s already been used):

One thing to note, you can buy inventory slots, or you can buy cargo or tech slots by switching tabs before you purchase. I originally thought it was just inventory.

I am far from what I’d call good at the game, I haven’t made it to the center or finished any storylines yet, but early game I just sell anything. You can just mine more resources as you need them. The ones that run critical systems (like sodium for your hazard protection), you don’t even need a mining laser for. In practice though, I don’t sell copper, ferrite dust, oxygen, sodium, H2, or carbon since I seem to need them (or their refined products) all the time. Apparently it’s a bad idea to sell freighter salvage modules also :) I wasted the one I found on frigate fuel because somehow I had gotten ahead of the tutorial.

Thank you! I needed all that info to not kneecap myself.

What version are you all playing on? Console or PC?

PS4 for me. I’ve made maybe three good starts on the game over the past year or so. I love it, but eventually I get distracted by something else, and by the time I come back they’ve done a patch which makes me want to start over. It gets better each time though :)