No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I did the same thing. I already had a power source, but really wanted to build on top of a mountain near my starter base that was calling to me. That was super fun and challenging, because I had to learn how to scale a vertical surface. (I climbed/jumped, then dug in with my terraformer, then placed floor pieces, and then repeated the process.)

Difficulty does not affect ship spawn tables, from what I’ve heard/read.

That is a tall mountain. Must have a great view!

Thanks for info. Gives me hope I can find another chameleon again one day. Maybe I can find my Survival & Permadeath bases in Normal, once I am far enough along.That would be interesting.

A third related question. Can you buy another egg?

So this is coming to XBox gamepass but not the PC version. Hmpf.

It is, in June, apparently: PC Gaming Link

Yes.

That one I have read. And you don’t have to do the coordinates thing again. But it costs 10K nanites (additional to the Quick Silver for the egg) to claim the new find.

I’d imagine you can’t scrap the living ships? (dismantling by drone sounds just wrong) But cold trade them for another ship? Wondering what happens when you have too many.

The lack of a wealth/conflict scanner is their one big downside for now. That and an S with limited slots.

Yeah, that’s kinda why I went cold on them (which really messed with my head as I was starting to form an emotional attachment to mine) in my previous save. Haven’t picked one up in my survival save, yet. I did watch a youtuber (Captain Steve) the other day, and he was speculating about future content in response to fan comments about wanting to own stations. He talked at length about some of the areas of the game that feel conspicuously unfleshed out, such as boundary failures, dead systems and corruption/biological horrors, and drew some interesting lore-related connections between them and the living ship. He thinks the living ship stuff is only just getting started. Which kind of makes sense, to me, because as far as utility goes, it doesn’t really have much of a niche, yet.

Warp-Explorer.

Sure it doesn’t have the range of a kitted out explorer. But it gets “good enough” with all the tech protected in the back slots. With none in cargo, nothing can break. By the time you get a living ship you are rolling in chromatic metal (warp fuel). It hits harder than an explorer, and the shields regen faster in combat than other ships, so the low shields really aren’t. So no worries jumping in anywhere. Sometimes you jump 2x instead of 1x to get to a black hole, since it isn’t a double-tech slotted explorer. But it is as fast as you can click.

In Survival (granted more pirates) I was getting warp fuel from pirate battles faster than I could use it. Killing them faster than in my exotic, as fast as my fighter, and warping farther with no damage than an explorer. Its like warping in a fighter with no tech damage in black holes and near the warp range of the exotic, and being able to sell the overgeneration of warp fuel while doing it!

The lower maneuverability is the only thing, which to me isn’t a big deal. But given it’s current niche the lack of economy/conflict scanners is …

Because I only play a couple hours a week, I often feel overwhelmed and discombobulated with NMS. There is so much to do it makes me feel pulled in multiple directions at once (or as Bilbo put it “like butter scraped over too much bread.”) It’s not a major concern because I’m mostly an explorer and not in any rush to complete the main story or get rich or build a massive fleet or huge base, etc. But I do want to progress and have better Quality of Life and experience all of the nifty toys and see cool new places and things.

I guess my main problem is a) having short amount of time and b) knowing what to do and when to do it to get that next piece of tech or toy and balance that with my exploration tendencies. There also appears to be lots of prerequisites that seem like a waste of time, energy and resources. For example, I’m doing the technician missions and got a Geobay recipe for the small Exocraft (Roamer?) and now he’s got me making a bunch of modules for it that require time and resources. So I’m thinking “Do I really even want this Roamer? Will I ever even use it? Can’t I just make the new Mech instead which is what I really want anyway?!”

At this point I ALT-TAB, check the wiki, read a bunch of complicated and confusing (and many times conflicting) data about the best course of action with Exocraft, and then just scrap the whole idea and decide to just fly around and explore some more…getting nothing productive done!

Anyway, I’m rambling. I just thought it was an interesting perspective and wondered if anybody else shares these feelings. It’s lonely out in space!

I like how you are approaching the game, even if it might be (at least in part) the result of having somewhat limited play time available. We all know that min-maxing tends to reduce play time in many or most games, and I think this is probably even more the case in No Man’s Sky at the moment. I would attribute that to the fact that activities revolving around exploration and experimentation seem to far outweigh the story- and lore-related content. So you see a lot of people rushing to max out their starships and freighters right off the bat, and getting rich off of stuff like mining and trading, and when they’re done powering through that stuff they’re like, “Okay, time to relax and check out the story now,” but soon realize that there isn’t as much meat there as they’d been assuming there would be.

At any rate, regarding the exocraft stuff, if you’re finding the base expansion missions to be kind of meh, you could just buy the exo blueprints at the Anomaly.

That sums be up to a T. Hahahaha. Not always but mostly. I do like exploration and enjoyment and relaxation in games but the older I get the worse I min/max or try to do too much all at once. My GF does not PC or console game and walked past me once several years ago while I was playing modded minecraft. I had scribbled a to-do list for what I wanted to get built that session. I don’t do that often. Like a lot of you I reference wikis, let’s plays or similar around the web, many times WHILE playing the game. There are times I get more involved in seeing how they did something on a video than actually playing the damned game.

But back to my story, she knew Minecraft as, “that blocky game,” and asked me point blank, “why do you have a to-do list for the blocky game? You don’t even have to-do lists for the house?” I mean, touche, right?

But it is what it is. I get my enjoyment exploring games and attempting to overcome the odds or the system with structured things I do. An example, building a huge indium mine, then thinking, why not a cadmium and emiril mine too? Suddenly multiple planets and setups and three mines in it kind of hits me I really only needed one SMALL mine and my setup would have been fine. But by then I’m adding farms everywhere to make living glass, etc. Rinse, repeat.

It’s so bad at times that I purposefully do not advance a story in a game because I want to make sure I try everything I want to do first. Another example, I’ve played Skyrim on multiple platforms and have hundreds if not over 1000 hours playing that game. I’ve finished the full story … once I think? It’s not about the story for me, it’s enjoying doing whatever flashy thing or skill or setting until I’ve had my fill of it, then moving on to the next flashy thing.

It’s hard to judge yourself as a crappy gamer but here I am. :)

That all sure sounds familiar to me! I just can’t seem to put off min-maxing in pretty much any game for long, even as aware of the downsides to that as I am. Lately I find myself wondering that this could be linked to wanting to nest and create security, or something. I dunno for sure.

On the topic of redundant mining operations, I feel you on that as well. A couple of days ago I replaced a perfectly adequate active indium mine with another one, and justified the idea by telling myself the new one would look much more realistic and immersive (it does), have better player security so that I could actually upload it and not worry about finding empty silos later (they’re accessible to anyone visiting), and that I’d have a decent crop of Frostwort to boot. None of that was really “necessary”, and I knew that full well going in, but it gave me a good excuse to complete a fun, satisfying project.

And last week, when I found myself buying gold and silver as I had run out (again), I decided that I wanted to set up a mine. Which I really didn’t need to do, as my income and savings were more than sufficient for simply buying the stuff. So I set out to find a planet that had both gold and silver on it, which took quite a while because they’re not too common, and paused when the one I finally found happened to also be an extreme sentinel planet. “Huh,” I thought, as I mulled it over, “I always just automatically avoid planets like this. What would it be like to try to actually scout one and set up a big facility on it?”. So that’s what I did, and hoo boy was that fun.

Yeah, this game is more sandbox. The “right” goals are yours.

Ok, I found out something fun:
If You park Your freighter outside the anomaly, then pick a “Hunt pirates” mission, Your own ships will assist You.

Like barstein and Skipper I get something between my teeth beat it to death then shelve it till something else draws me back in. No mans Sky is one of those game where i get the itch scratch the hell out of it then move on. Ark is another one of those games for me as well.

I hear ya, brother.

I’m not 100% sure what the hooks are but for sure these two games are similar.

Finally built a Minotaur Bay and the Orbital Materializer thingy in my freighter that allows summoning Exocraft to any planet’s surface (in the same system) which is mighty cool.

I’ve made a few upgrades to the Mino but maneuverability in this thing is awful. 3rd-person POV is a bit less clunky but I prefer to be sitting in the cockpit for immersion purposes. The cockpit swivels independently of the lower portion which is nice but it feels loose and sloppy and does that thing that console games like to do by “helpfully” realigning to center-forward after a few seconds…just makes it even more annoying. Does this thing get better with upgrades or is this just lousy design?

Another issue is stomping and destroying everything in its path which sends the sentinels into a tizzy. Jetting around seems to mitigate this somewhat, at least for longer travel, but I still find myself hopping out to grab resources which sort of diminishes the point. Anyway, I’m really trying to like this thing but I’m wondering if the Roamer/nomad is just a better choice…

Walking is pretty much only intended for for orienting on nearby objects. To get around, as you’re discovering, you gotta jump from place to place (note: you can turn a bit better while jetting). The Minotaur has its uses, but it isn’t really designed to get you around on a planet unless you’re traversing land and water alike and don’t have an upgraded Nautilon.

I would try the Roamer and the Pilgrim. The latter has comparatively limited inventory space (after upgrades) but it’s faster. I use it the most, when I’m exploring the surface of a planet.

The Collasus might be worth looking into at some point as well. Lots of inventory space and good utility overall.

I think all the exocraft destroy things like you described. Some just make a quicker getaway after angering sentinels.

Seems like it, which is disappointing. At this point, I’m still using my ship for primary exploration and dropping the Minotaur for bore-mining resource deposits and for portable storage.

This is exactly what I’m looking for (safe, speedy scouting) and precisely what I’m going to do. Thanks!

Sure thing.

If you’re planning to use the bore a lot, be aware that it will deplete your carbon supply very quickly. So I would try to use the bore in an area where there are lots of trees and such nearby.