No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

The anomaly? I guess I’m not there yet.

Sometimes referred to as The Nexus, although that’s technically the mission terminal inside the Anomaly. Without spoiling things, it’s something you’ll encounter as part of the main story/tutorial by your second or (usually) third star system, and among many other things, it’s where you’ll be able to grab your Switch exclusives.

Ohhh good reason to keep going thank you.

Yeah, putting aside the main missions/tutorial is fine, but best to hold out until after you can access the Anomaly. After that, unless I’m forgetting something, the main stories don’t unlock anything you can’t also get outside of them (some things might come a little easier, but ymmv).

Yes,it’s here now. Off we go.

So far ‘relax’ mode seems to just spawn lots more resources and doesn’t run your hazard protection down when your on a hostile world. Fine be me, I’m happy with less grind.

Just went through the first part of the tutorial on a new Survival save at default settings. I find it amusing that the update announcement puts a bunch of emphasis on the QOL improvements and making many things easier (which is all true, of course) but seems to make no mention of the npc ship price increases, big nerfs to mineral values, and (worst of all, considering how many people relied on its availability) the complete removal of Oxygen, life gel and batteries from trade terminals/pilot inventory.

So the old sell some Chlorine, get some Cobalt and Oxygen, refine and un-refine it and sell it trick…(okay it was probably an exploit) is long gone in multiple different ways. Gross.

If resources are so cheap what’s the new money go-to?

I have a Seuss-like paradise planet in my starting galaxy on Custom mode. I hope i can get myself to leave and become the space trader I was planning to be.

Yep. Chlorine and Cobalt expansion was super popular, and nearly always the first recommendation whenever someone would ask how to make early game cash.

I don’t know what the new (non-exploity) go to will be, but you could still fast-track an Oxygen extractor at a starter base and then do the expansion thing. I’m not sure yet if the expansion was also nerfed or not, or if the value of Chlorine and Cobalt have changed, though.

Trade routes are fun. I’m not familiar with smuggling yet, though, as that got introduced during my NMS break. Another fun (imo) way to justify “getting out there” is to scout for and build on different biomes required for Stasis Device manufacturing.

It doesn’t sound like a ton of changes/additions in this one unless you are into VR.

Yeah, this was planned to coincide with the PS VR2 release, so most of the features are VR related, but there are some really cool quality of life changes, including extending the “ship garage” from 6 to 12 ships.

Man, I really wish I enjoyed this game more. It’s really impressive what they’ve done with it, and how they keep supporting it.

Oh hell yes, it’s been a long time between drinks for VR players!

I remember the one time I tried it, it was VERY nausea inducing, unfortunately!

As I mentioned in the PSVR2 thread, NMSVR is frikken amazing. I spent so much time in there during the early days of the pandemic. With the upgrades they’ve made for the new hardware, it is the killer app for me when I eventually get a PS5/VR2.

I fired up NMS yesterday. Last save was March of 2021, save before that was March of 2018. Both with 18 hours and change of playtime. I guess it’s about time for me to put in another 18 hours!

I’m always impressed with this game, but I always seem to lose momentum. I remember both times feeling like I was far enough in that I should have a better sense of the systems at work and how to approach them to start building up resources and making real progress, but instead I always felt like I was still just sort of bouncing along through the galaxy, never sure exactly what I was looking for and therefore always unsure at what pace I should be exploring vs. trying to build up bases, trade routes, farming resources, whatever.

I bounce off around the same point. For me, I think I’m just fundamentally not that interested in seeing Yet Another Random Planet past a certain point. Oh, okay, this one is pink with some familiar looking trees. Neat.

It’s incredible what they’ve done and everything they’ve added post-release, but it just never really seems to be able to grab me. I think I need some kind of motivator or challenge to overcome to push me to expand and do more, but this doesn’t seem like that kind of game. Which is too bad for me, because there’s a lot to admire!