No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I just hooked up with the NMS subreddit and there are some impressive screenshots of dinosaur like creatures and exotic landscapes. I’m especially looking forward to finding my first lush planet and calling it home.

Can ships in this game be built from scratch or do you just find wrecked ones to repair? This one here is reminiscent of Discovery which means I must have it.

You can’t build them from scratch. There are 3 ways to acquire them.

1. Find crashed ships.

2. Buy them on the pads of space stations or trading posts. Just talk to a ship’s pilot when they land and select the option to buy his ship.

3. For Freighters (which is what I think your picture above is), you have to find a group of freighters in space where one has the blue light landing area (like a station). You then talk to the captain about buying his ship. I think you may have to do missions for him or other stuff to get him to sell it to you though. Also, be warned, those big freighters cost many, many millions of units. The good thing is, once you get one, you can own multiple ships.

It’s an interesting challenge though. If you do find a store, you can summon it to your location without trekking all the way back with a bypass chip, or with the quick menu.

I got another idea. You can walk to an habitable base, claim it, then use the teleporter to a space station. The teleporter will only work if you’ve warped three times already, so yeah, maybe not.

So what’s the deal with suit and tool upgrades? Is that something you buy? Craft? Find? is it part of the main questline?

I don’t think he can do that because his ship needs repairing so it doesn’t fly.

You teleport the Heridium to the ship, fix it, then call it back. You can always send things to the ship, it’s the other way around that’s restricted by distance.

You can craft them once you get the blueprints for them. Some of that you get as part of the quest lines. Some blueprints you will just be given during interactions with aliens and you can buy blueprints from the blueprint merchant on any station. Depending on which race it is, they sell different types.

You also can reliably get free random blueprints from manufacturing facilities and operations centers.

Okay. I thought there was a range limitation on sending stuff too. That’s good to know.

I thought about that. The game is telling me it’s a 7 hour walk to the nearest habitable base.

One other idea that might work: You say the ship you found was much better. That means it’s probably worth a lot, even unrepaired. If you could walk to a spaceport on the planet, you could trade your unrepaired ship in on one that works. I don’t think the game cares where the ship you’re trading is located. Then you could use that new ship to get materials to repair the other one and fly back to it.

Anyone know if there are PC console commands to just drop some Heridium? (Like skyrims cheese wheel spawning).?

I feel you are already past the point where the game is becoming work and not fun.

I’m pretty sure that every planet always has heridium. It should be there, somewhere.

See, to me, solving a problem like this is fun. I know not everyone feels that way.

Also, it sounds like he’s in the first system so he can probably easily start over but he just hates to give up on finding a really good ship.

I think you’re right.

Can you not build a signal booster and search for heridium that way rathr than a drop pod or habitat? Not something I have tried yet though

The signal booster allows you to search for a resource deposit, but doesn’t tell you what that resource is…

I think those big blue heridium tower-boulders are present on all planets. And they also don’t necessarily show up to a resource scanner, so you may just have to eyeball them.

I’ve done that. It just points out aluminum deposits. The spaceport idea is good but I don’t know where the nearest one is. I like solving these types of problems, and I’ve gotten much farther in the game before, but considering how little time I’ve put in to date, I think I’d rather restart. I don’t have tons of gaming time these days.

Destroyed sentinels can give Heridium too… though it may take a while, with quite the body count. :)

Also check in caves, use your scanner and watch for the grid.

Yeah big blue pillars is what you want to look for.

Also, I tried out the flora and fauna level 2 upgrades and the money from scanning things especially rare things is pretty good. 40k for some things. level 3 is probably even more.

I restarted and I’m glad I did. My new starting planet is packed with research stations, trading posts, drop pods, and all other manner of interesting space things. In all the time I’ve played NMS, I’ve never seen a planet with even 1/10 as many structures, aliens, etc. In the past, I’ve always wanted to get off the starting planet ASAP, but I think I’ll be spending some time on this one. Looks like I hit the RNGesus jackpot.