Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Folk who are double-dipping to get the game on additional platforms might want to be aware that the Steam version is expected to get Linux and Mac ARM variants whereas GOG is not. In fact GOG modified their store listing to show it as Windows only earlier today.

Glad I checked with the Discord server before I hit the buy button (again)! Would have preferred GOG, but will take Steam (and the additional platforms) vs the Epic version.

If it runs on Windows, it runs on Linux, is the general rule these days. Easily. Like, with a click.

The only general exception is [sometimes] if it uses anti-cheat, which GOG by definition does not.

Mac, however, yes, you might be SOL.

People shit on Epic constantly but gog is the store I’ve been most consistently disappointed with. For their original mission they are still champs but for modern games things like dropped updates and now this have made me basically not interested in buying from them.

The updates are the fault of the devs – but GOG should absolutely be holding them to contracts that require them to keep them as updated on GOG as they will be anywhere else. I agree GOG isn’t always ideal. But for me DRM-free is a “single-issue voter” kind of thing

I’m on Epic, but if I had a steam copy I would write a rousing review! Honestly I think it’s the best Civ game on the market right now.

I’ve never written a steam review I assume you have to own the game on Steam to write a review?

So how do us Epic owner get the DLC.

Very grateful for you! Thank you ❤️
This is such an exciting day as we’ll see more people interacting with the game from here on. I can’t wait to see what modders will do.
Ouf, so much world to love right now.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/old-world--heroes-of-the-aegean

Yep, you have to own a copy on that platform.

Thanks Kevin, OW DLC that’s a no brainer.

Great podcast with the Johnsons, and Tom and Bruce.

I really appreciate the help and respect they have shown the forum. It definitely, earns them a day one purchase for their next project. I think the last companies that earned this were Microprose and then Firaxis.

I remember when Sid Meir’s SimGolf came out. I suck at playing golf, it is been source of some embarrassment over the years, and for me watching golf is less interesting than watching paint dry.
The PC golf games I’d tried over the years were good for an hour or two of play, tops.

So it was with some trepidation I had when SimGolf made an appearance. My favorite game designer and one of my least favorite topics. It turns out it was my favorite of the Sid Meirs simple games.

GOG should put neon signs about lack of updates and delist broken versions (probably mostly non-Windows), not expect me to do homework before buying.

The Epic store page for Heroes of the Aegean doesn’t say anything about the Hittite faction. Is that included in the DLC?

I think that was an additional faction stealth-added to the base game to celebrate the Steam launch.

Hmm, is it part of the Epic base game as well? I guess I can launch it and see… (but it’s still working hours!)

Bought and installed. Hopefully I get make some time this weekend.

It should be. The (free) DLC is added to Epic version anyway, if it’s part of that and not the base game.

It’s a bit confusing because for me at least, Epic shows the base game as “in library”, but the DLC does not show that.

But loading up the game, the campaign “Heroes of the Aegean” IS available to play under Scenarios, so it seems to be included.

Yes, Soren mentioned upthread that there’s currently a workaround due to backend issues:

Got it on Steam, too. One of the very few games I bought three times, though with Civ 2 being one of those, I guess it was to be expected. ;)

The unlocked UI scale doesn’t work for me. The slider moves, but it doesn’t scale any more than the highest size of the locked setting.

Got this, but it will need to wait until I finish my current Shadow Empire game. MEanwhile the anticipation builds :)