Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

9.5 is probably the highest rating I’ve seen yet for Old World rating. I think 9 or 9.5 would be mine.

Whoa, that’s like a 9 on the 7-9 scale!

-Tom

It’s the best game in this genre since CivIV, isn’t it? I’d give it five stars on the 1-5 scale, despite the leanness of the Oldworldapedia.

In my opinion, yes.

It can’t have 10 stars, that score being reserved for OTC.

I don’t know what a rating number even means with Old World, for me. I’m just so glad that the game exists to be played. I guess I’m 100% glad it exists so that’s a 10?

I think my pronouncement from May 2020 has stood the test of time.

I played it obsessively back in last May, and I yesterday I got a string of are you alive emails, and realized I pretty much lost all of last week to Old World.

So on behalf of all my friends and family, who are pissed at me, I’m going to give them the name of my crack dealers. @SorenJohnson

The torch has been passed.

My favorites were Edna, and this one of Rob T.

I wonder if Sid really is a Civ 4 junkie.

I found this on Discord today, and see I’m a week late posting it. I agree with cornchip, it is decent overview for brand new players, for you old school folks who like to read instructions.

@SorenJohnson: The two good options in the Strange Medicine event have the same result.

The oddity is that Highlander is a Sylvan trait, so there’s not really much point to that option as the other one can always be selected. Would be cool if the Highlander option gave you a better result or something.

lol, 9/10 ambitions + 1y left to finish last university for 10th ambition + no heir = defeat of Babylonia.

We’d adopted someone as an heir, but they were plotting what to do with their fortune when they were king, so they were removed from their position. Then we got severely ill. The dynasty had been limping along for a while, but made me laugh that we died off as the turn resolved to finish the final ambition.

Snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

I thought it was, in early access, so I imagine it is even better now.

There was a post earlier, detailing the problems OW solves in this genre.

I hope many of the design features named in that post become genre standard, like orders.

Have any of you played with your kids/nephews/nieces/grandchildren yet? It’s interesting. They don’t understand what’s going on, but they also play a lot of the systems intuitively well, taking a lot of cues from the writing. Some systems, like unit promotions, would be totally neglected without my weighing in. They aren’t even being noticed. (And that’s okay, just to clarify.)

I wish. :|

Unless Mohawk makes a Roblox version or somehow mixes in annoying Japanime characters, I don’t see my daughters giving it the time of day. I

I’ve got an odd question, as I have yet to fire up the game but I’m getting interested; I see lots of talk about winning and game length, which is interesting. However, I’m a little (okay, a lot) odd in that I often actively avoid end-states for my strategy games and turn them into sandboxes. Is there a way to play the game in such a manner?

You can certainly continue after hitting a victory condition. I’m not sure if you can continue past the 200 turn limit though.

I was wondering if switching from years to semesters would increase the turn count, but it appears to be 200 turns in either case.

@tomchick OMG watermeals and windmeals!

Old World Update #60

Welcome to our first post-launch update! We continue to enhance performance and fix bugs. Thank you for all you do to help us improve the game and your experience with us.

Major Changes in This Update:

• Tutorial section added to encyclopedia
  • Added advice widget to founding family panel
  • Spreading Religion to Tribal Sites now counts for the Spread Religion Ambition
  • Additional music tracks have been flagged as licensed
  • Watermills, Windmills, mines and quarries now animate