Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

So, uh, dumb question, but where are you seeing update notes? I saw something downloading before I launched on the Epic Games Store today, but I didn’t see any way to find out what was downloading. Is that information even on the Epic Games Store? Because it darn well should be.

-Tom

I received an email from Soren’s friends.

You’re so good at receiving emails.

Where can we get on that list? is that what the email thing in game is for?

Emeals?

Full update list:

I think this email comes from subscribing at the bottom of their website: https://mohawkgames.com/

There is also the in-game email harvesting in the lower right of the main menu screen.

They post them to their Discord.

That’s where I saw them.

So, I played my first game. As a data point, I am a familiar player of the genre, all the Civs, Endless Legend, but not OTC. Yet, I’m not a min maxer, or competitive player and rarely play on harder difficulties. So pretty average, just not totally new.

Picked random leader and all defaults. Got Persia, won an ambition win in 187/200 years/turns?

I did pay attention to people saying I needed to lock tips and drill down. I would have probably won earlier except several ambitions timed out before i even figured out how to do them. One I completed by accident!

I generally know what I did, and realize I have no idea of some whole system interactions or the depth of almost everything. But at default difficulty it didn’t seem as inscrutable as I expected. I could figure out “enough”. I did it cold with no youtube watching, etc.

Just sharing since debating how easy it is to figure the game at the start seems to be a thing.

In other news. I do like the UI sounds. I am hard of hearing and the low ones I can actually hear! This is more exciting than i expected. This event was also hilarious:

Your wife is jealous you spend too much time with a minister and erroneously thinks you may be having an affair:

1 - nix wife
2 - nix minister
3 - Oh heh! That’s a good idea, let’s have an affair!

Esp. after a bit of CK3 I chose option three while laughing.

You can turn off all the victory conditions in the advanced tab. I know this because I did it by accident. Thus you effectively turn it into a sandbox.

So I’d put this down after spending a handful of hours with it in early EA. Finally I have the brain to spare to pick it back up after a big launch at work last week, and my goodness what wonderful use Mohawk has put their long beta period to.

I got all of an hour and a half to start playing for real last night, but my extremely strong impression is of a game with an honest to goodness holistic and intentional design and implementation. 95 percent of the time when I ask “hmm, what’s this for?” the answer becomes clear three tooltips/pedia entries later, like poking a spiderweb and seeing all the different connections between the bits.

My biggest issue back in EA was analysis paralysis between the event system, people management, and the usual 4x cities/units/tech. I’m not exactly sure what changed - could very well be more me than the game! - but my choices feel clearer and easier to parse now in the early game.

In any case, absolutely fabulous work @SorenJohnson @Leyla_Johnson and team! At least so far ;)

Hats off to you for those considered words. It’s terrific.

Cool - that’s excellent, assuming the AI then doesn’t go brain dead, lol.

This game is amazing.

I’m farting around on tiny baby difficulty (the Just, not like Megafat CEO Baby difficulty where enemies are straight-up window dressing or whatever) trying to learn the game, and having an absolute blast with Babylon here.

The map is absolutely wonderful. Seas to the south, with some Danes hanging out on islands. Probably expand there eventually. But…

Egypt to the west, behind a mountain range with a single wooded pass until you get well up to the north. I do something to piss them off – literally don’t remember what, but they have some beef. Okay. So the new queen declares on me out of nowhere. Oh no, a DoW early in a 4X, whatever shall I do?

Panic, that’s wtf I shall do. Egypt immediately rolls toward Babylon with like three warriors and a slinger, while I frantically force-march my lone slinger back to try and defend and switch both cities to emergency militia production.

Things are looking rough at best until I harvest an Elephant just east of Babylon and get a War Elephant from an event. Do War Elephants eat the absolute faces off of warriors and slingers? Friends, they do.

So we trample the invaders and push on toward Egypt itself, but whooooops they had retreated a couple wounded units I wasn’t able to finish off and apparently built several more. While they’re not really able to push past the Heffelump on offense while fending off the rest of my crappy troops, they are certainly more than capable of surrounding and killing the monster. So I ask for and get a white peace. Yay!

Bonus: Egypt seems to have put enough resources into this stalemate war that they didn’t settle a city site that sits north of that mountain range. So I force-march the slinger up there to camp it before the ink is dry on the treaty, grab a fortuitous Free Settler boost, and bam. Five cities.

Sucks to suck, Neferure.

Meeeaaannnwhile, my good friend Dido up north (I’ve been placating her best I can, since my shitty armies were more than occupied with the Egyptians) is happy to trade and hang out and oh god she sure did clear out all those barbarians to the east while I was busy keeping my head attached. Guess I’m not expanding that way; no way is it going to be worth trashing that relationship over that territory. Well played, ma’am.

Literally as soon as all this happens and ol’ Nebu is riding back to the palace to enjoy the spoils of a hard-earned peace, he and Amytis frickin’ fall sick and die along with Cash Money Pimpenstein the Court Scientist or whatever his name is, who had served me extremely well by tutoring the kids and generally just making things happen.

We’ll see how the new generation does! Marduk may be a cruel philanderer, but he’s well-rounded and quite capable due to his (extremely expensive, dang) education.

I am loving this game.

@SorenJohnson: tenets, not tenants. Sorry, pet peeve.

Nothing to apologise for. It’s the wrong word, plain and simple. Good spot.

It looks like there are 3 instances of it in Reference/XML/text-eventStory.xml.

Completed that Babylon game. Won a “Double Victory” – I was way ahead, so I’m guessing this is the mercy rule vic. Which is fine.

I am absolutely in love. What a wonderful game. A++.

Yup, several of us complained about the late game, and Soren or someone on the team came up with the double victory rule. I definitely find myself going for the double victory, compared to just declaring victory in most 4x. Definitely more satisfied than the old way.

Yeah, I’m down with it. The incredibly poorly named but wonderfully fun Caster of Magic for Windows implemented something similar, and it’s great there too.

Currently have still to win any other kind of victory. Think I need to amend how I’m playing to avoid the double.