Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

Ted Williams has joined my Entry League team, which is going to be an all-Boston team. He’s played in only 6 games so far, and he’s hitting a disappointing .190. I’m sure he’ll turn it around!

One question, though: he’s got stats from 2023, 2022, and 2021, in things like SiL, GoL, and DiL. Silver, Gold and Diamond Leagues, right? (He hit okay there: .280 or so – but nothing like .406, say.) So he’s been playing for 3 or 4 real life weeks, and he’s now back in the Entry League with me, right? I hadn’t realized the market covered all leagues. Just one Auction House for all of us, then?

On the other end of the scale, I have a 59 OVR Ehire Adrianza who has played for me all year and is hitting almost .300. I can’t bring myself to sit him down. Thanks in part to him, my entry-league team has won 130 games already.

The 100 win dream fell short, but Akron was able to finish above .600 and secure the league’s best record at 99-63.

Future Legend Adonis Medina has been my ace and should get some Cy Young considerations… he’s ending the season 24-2 with a 2.51 ERA. On the whole the Aeros lead the league in batting average, runs against, starter ERA and bullpen ERA. I did adjust the ballpark factors a little - .95 for home runs from each side but I can’t imagine it was that much of an impact.

There was a three-way tie in my league as well. Two of the teams are battling it out for the Central division title, with the loser playing #2 from my division for the second Wild Card slot.

You are correct on all three questions.

Am I a bad person? Before this morning’s one-game wildcard playoff, I looked at my rotation, which seriously slumped by the end of the season. Not liking my choices for the single game, I sniped a 93-rated Aaron Nola off the auction house for 4500pp, about 1000 pp below his average price. He started the wildcard, and won it, pitching 8.2 innings for a 6-3 victory.

Obviously there’s no prohibition on changing your playoff roster after September 1, as there is in real life MLB. So what I did is legal, but somehow it feels cheesy.

Still, all my additions have been with earned points – haven’t spent a dime on this game beyond the initial purchase, so I’m not whaling.

EDIT: I realize now my opponent also started a pitcher he had just picked up at auction, albeit a 72-rated Denny Martinez. Now I don’t feel quite so bad.

I don’t really know what happened here. I’m sure that with two games left I was three games behind the Wildcard spots, but I won my last two and I guess everyone else lost… because I made the one-game playoff.

This was kind of funny at first, until I saw who I was playing against - The Canaries.

The Canaries have a Norwich City Football Club badge and their manager wears the English St. George flag, so he’s almost certainly a Norwich fan. I’m an Ipswich Town fan and those two teams do not like each other, so I had to win.

The Canaries like to steal a lot and struggle against lefties, so I pulled one of the SP I’d put in my pen back out into the rotation because he was a leftie with an enormous “Hold Runners” rating and changed some of my strategy sliders and… I’ve no idea if it really made a difference but we won!

It took a Mark McGwire two-run home run in the 12th inning to do it, but I don’t care. I won and Norwich lost. I can now get swept in the Division series.

Congrats!!!

Won my division by 6 in Bronze .263, now 1-1 in the divisional series and the servers are down so I can’t see what happened last game – AARGH!

Question, what is the criteria for getting promoted into a silver league next year? Do you have to win the series in bronze?

top 8 teams, so essentially just need to make it past the wild card playin game

The universe oddly says top 6 promote from bronze to silver, and top 8 from silver to gold. Currently 1-2 in our division series in S281.

sorry, I just noticed that. I swear it was top 8 last season in Bronze.

So I’m made it to the divisional series and am down 2-1. I’m not sure how it determines the top 6 since there are 8 left right now and 4 will obviously lose. The 4 who win plus the top 2 records between the 4 that lose?

I think it was the top 8 at one point. I’ve notice the numbers fluctuate, I guess depending on how many leagues there are.

Tied up the division series 2-2, and now we have game 5 at home.

Took a 2 game lead, dropped the third, and then this was game 4…

@Spock Congrats on the divisional playoff sweep! Me, I dropped two then won two… the deciding game is simming soon!

And we crash out dropping game 5 1-2. Still should promote to gold though.

Thank you, thank you, but the real credit goes to my players, the hard-working guys who do the job day in day out. (Do we get achievements for Baseball Corporate-Speak?)

Man I wish they did, because I’d get repeated 10k pp drops for the lollygaggers speech

My divisional series went to game 5. After trading zeroes for three innings, JD Martinez opened up the scoring by blasting one to right and Placido Polanco drove another in, making it 2-0. Oswego answered with a run in the 5th, and then on a routine grounder to end the thread, Yuli Gurriel airmailed it to first. 3 unearned ended up scoring and things were looking dire.

Matty Alou singled in a run in the 5th to shift the momentum back a little, and with a runner on in the 7th gapped one for a standup triple… and the tie. Unfortunately with two outs we weren’t able to capitalize, but the bullpen continued to hold strong.

Finally, in the bottom of the 8th… liftoff.

Cespedes crushed one to the cheap seats and now demoralized, Oswego went down quietly in the 9th. On to the LCS.

Well dropped the divisional series 3-2 and my guess based on record is that I might be first out from promotion but I guess we’ll see.

Going to make some silver buys in AH to strengthen my bench. Also thinking of selling one of my golds (bought Herb Score for 5K and he did not do much for me, I think that his huge Stuff rating was offset by his mediocre Control rating) in order to get points. I have no qualms about putting in 10 bucks but I’ve avoided it so far and want to see how far I can get without spending.

I also dropped the Division series 2-3, after losing the first two game and then bouncing back to tie the series up. We lost game 5 2-1 on an error in the ninth, which is a shame but also way more than I expected.

I’m worried about going up to Gold though. We ranked 24th and 28th for runs scored and ERA in silver, which suggests we’ll be throwing up a lot of zeroes if we go up to a harder level. Fun though!

I also lost my division series 3-1. If it goes by record, then I will be the first team out as I had the 3rd best record amongst divisional series losers. That means for the 2nd straight season I will be the first team from promotion. :(