Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

Are you in Silver? I had the Norwich Canaries in my division last season.

For my own part my Gold team - the Ewes - are 76-73 after going 11-17 in August - by far our worst month of the season. The top team in our division is 105-44, but they’re absolutely loaded in diamonds and have a few perfects to top things off.

I answered the “who do you play at 3rd Base?” question by buying a pack for 1,000 PP and pulling a 98-rated Nolan Arenado. To be honest, I expected to be blown away by a 98 point player, but he doesn’t really seem to be outstanding at anything, except defensive arm strength.

My bronze team is 78-70 and being carried by their starting pitching as the offence is severely lacking. They’re 16th for runs, 20th for average and 25th for HR in the National Conference, but 8th for Starter’s ERA, mostly thanks to Sal Maglie and David Cone. On paper Zack Wheeler is far and away our best pitcher but is having a season of not playing like it.

Yes, Silver.

My Bronze (B.200) team, the New Haven Red Sox, have the best record in baseball and are the only team to have clinched their division. This is my team of actual Red Sox players: Johnny Pesky, Ted Williams, Roger Clemens, David Ortiz, other Sox greats. Fun!

My Silver (S.252) team is three games under .500 with about 10 to play, and still theoretically in the wild card hunt. But I think my un-magic number is probably 1 or 2, heh. If I lose or anyone else wins, I’m toast. :) Still, I’m happy with a near-.500 season for my first effort at the Silver level.

Ok, new rule. No one gets to talk about the awesome card they get from opening a pack. Everytime you do that I go and buy a pack or two and get nothing. After 8 packs I finally got my first gold. Unfortunately, it was Patrick Corbin, who I already own, and it only sells for about 2000pp.

:) I’ve had a horrible run of packs.

My diamond team is still in the hunt, 3 gb for the division and 2nd wildcard spot. 6 out of last 8 are at home, and we’ve had a decent record there so hopefully we can pull it together and make the playoffs (please don’t send me to perfect league).

I’ve got home field locked up through the LCS. Hopefully I can get at least that far tomorrow.

It is still mathematically possible for us to make the playoffs in D360, but currently rated at a 2% chance. We will need to sweep this last series at home to have any chance. September has been our worst month since May, and potentially the first played below .500 since then. Currently at 12-13 for the month.

Clinched the division with a win in game 161. With only 4 promoted this week, I’m expecting to stay in silver which will give me time to upgrade 3B and one of my starters. I grabbed Jose Altuve to fix my issues at second base; still early but he seems to be way undervalued on the auction house (~2k pp) compared to his stats.

I’ll be playing my wild card game against a team that won 109 games! Possibly 110 if they win their last game.

1 game left and still in the hunt. I imagine it goes to playoff games if there is any chance, both for division title or wildcard #2.

Edit: lol, we crashed out 14-3. Team in G357 made it through the 1st season without getting relegated. Reggie Jackson won the HR champion for us.

With five games to go my Bronze team needed one win to seal a wildcard spot. Naturally we promptly went on a five game losing streak.

This allowed the third place team to win four of its last six to finish with the exact same 85-77 record. So we had to have a one game playoff to get into the one game playoffs.

Thankfully Zack Wheeler pitched eight shutout innings and we won 4-0, so we have a wildcard game to come in about 20 minutes.

How’d you do @Mr_Bismarck?

I’m amazed – my team got hot at exactly the right time. The Libraries won 8 of the last 9 regular season games to clinch the wildcard spot. Then we won the WC game itself with a stellar shutout thrown by James Paxton.

Next we faced Korea, which lead the entire league with 104 wins (by contrast, my team had 88 wins). And we promptly made mince meat of top seed!

https://i.imgur.com/RrKkQY1.png

I’ve just jinxed the team, of course, by touting their success so far. But it will be an exciting Sunday watching this play out.

My Seattle Kraken upset the 110 win Tokyo Nets in the wildcard game to move onto the divisional series and face the 111 win Zero Mula. After a great pitching performance by 62 overal Ty Blach, the Kraken have forced a game 5 where the pitching matchup features Lance McCullers(16-8) of the Kraken vs. Zach Wheeler(19-8) of the Mula. Seattle has faced Wheeler twice this season, winning both games including an 8-3 win in game 1 of this series.

UPDATE:
Complete game 13K shutout for McCullers!! Kraken pull off another upset and are heading to the Championship series to face teh 104 win Atlanta Swarm. They won my division and I seemed to struggle against them during the regular season so this might be where my season ends.

It seems like Qt3 is well-represented in the playoffs! Alas, my New Haven Red Sox fell in the first round of the playoffs, despite compiling the best record (103 wins) in the regular season.

Consolation prize: David Ortiz named MVP of the division series, even in a losing effort.

Having won the one game play in, we won the one game play off 10-4, thanks to four RBI from George Kell and three from Ji Man Choi.

Then we won the opening pair of divisional series games on the road, 3-0 and 3-0, meaning we were one win away from the conference finals. Naturally we dropped both home games to move the series to 2-2 and go into a winner takes all matchup on the road… which we won 8-6

That game five featured a blown save on our part, allowing our opponents to tie the game at 6-6 with their last out of the 9th inning. But then in the 10th inning Ji Man Choi singles to get on, is walked to second, steals third and then takes Home on a throwing error.

So by this point in the play offs we’re 0-2 at home and 4-0 on the road.

After beating that 101-win team in the divisional series we’re “only” facing a 98-win team in the conference final.

Somehow in game one of that conference series we beat Diamond Max Scherzer (98 rated) and then lost the following night to Seth Lugo, so the series is 1-1.

After a rest day we have three straight home games coming, so all we have to do is win all of those and we’re in the World Series!

Easy.

Congrats @Mr_Bismarck!

And… after getting in through the wildcard, my Librarians swept four wins to none for the Conference title and find themselves in the World Series! Not only that, but the other conference title is not settled, meaning I can give my team a little extra rest – at least three days off by my calculation.

Akron pushed the divisional series to 5 games, and ended up letting Portland walk them off in the 9th… which is perfect since there’s no promotion coming tonight. Gives me a season to slot JD Martinez in to learn first base and gain some extra roster flexibility with him not taking up room as a DH-only player.

Congrats @tylertoo!

After dropping the first 2 games the Kraken have come back and won the next 2 to tie series up.

UPDATE:
Kraken win game 5 and are just 1 game away from their 3rd straight series upset and their 1st trip to the World Series.

Excellent @pizzaddict!