Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

The other thing that was kind of bittersweet is that the team I beat in my Silver World Series was the “Cottleville Colonials”. Google tells me there’s really only one Cottleville worth mentioning, and that’s this tiny town (not even sure if it’s incorporated) in St. Charles County.

But Cottleville also used to have this magnificent baseball/softball complex called C-H Park that was the very best in the entire St. Louis metroplex. And if you played high-level baseball and lived in the St. Louis area as a high schooler or collegian (up until the early aughts, C-H hosted a league of metro collegians in the midwest who were on summer break; the level of play in that league was insane. It was like low A-ball at least) you played games at C-H. I know for a fact that Mark Buehrle played a ton of games in Cottleville at C-H. Ryan Howard too.

And so like a true St. Louis native, I was bummed I couldn’t reach out to the team owner of the Colonials to ask “Where’d you go to high school?” ;)

Congrats, tylertoo!

Ended up midpack in my first season in Silver. Now in S298. Have spent my points so just will ride it out for awhile this week and see what happens.

And congrats to Mr_Bismarck also!

I’d really like them to explain the algorithm behind card pulling. Are the cards in one big pool and the odds given are what they’ve determined from running tons of simulations of opening packs? I find it amazing how often duplicate cards get pulled.

My Texarkana team is off to a 7-0 start in Diamond this year. so I expect another late season stumble. :)

you should ask that for the podcast tonight. You would probably get yourself 2500pp

They did say that the cards are determined when you open the pack, not when you purchase it. However, I wonder if it first determines what rarity you are getting, then determines what card from that rarity. Also, are all diamonds of equal rarity?

Got home from work last night to find that after almost losing their first playoff round the Expats swept the rest of the playoffs and won their Bronze league. Nice points and through 8 games they were competitive in Silver.

Hopefully I win the RF I’m bidding on but I won’t know until after the sim ends for the day today.

Wh-- what podcast? Where? When?

Wow, congrats! I think Qt3 had three champs yesterday!

Yeah, grats to you and Tylertoo both on wins!

Thanks! How do you get a question read? On their forum?

on their discord server, they usually ask for them on Mondays as they tape the podcast on Monday afternoon’s and post on Tuesday. However they haven’t did the usual notice for questions today so I’m not sure if they are doing one this week or not.

I imagine on discord. Is this what This week in PT turned into?

no, they still do that too.

So 2 shots at PP each week? They might have given out packs. Can’t remember.

I wish there was an easy way to actually compare players. While the Expats are a pack based team (in my mind the taking your chances on the draft) I’m allowing myself one free agent from the AH per season plus any PP I get from selling pack cards can turn into AH players (“trades”). Ichiro had a great last season but I’d like to make him my backup OF and put a better hitter (even if worse BA) in RF but it is so painful to compare players.

Even worse, I tried to start a historical league (I haven’t played one since OOTP 15 or so) and I just can’t deal with sorting all of the players in the Astros organization to figure out who is trade bate and who is needed for depth. It’s the expansion Astros so the real answer is that they are almost all terrible but I can’t run a team with that idea!

There’s no good way in the auction house, but do you know about the ‘compare player’ function in the main game itself?

If you mean within your current league then yes. But without a listing of all the cards I’m reduced to randomly typing in players and hoping one is in the league and within my budget.

I’m sure there is something similar for my challenge mode Astros but I really just want a spreadsheet of all my players. Which should be possible except that I can’t find an export function. Likely because they wanted to eliminate export/edit/import in challenge mode but still sucks.

Yeah, I’m not sure that exists. Maybe ask at the OOTP forum? But chances are, it is something they don’t have (yet).

On another note, to celebrate yesterday’s World Series sweep in my silver league, I spent $5 on points. I had only spent $5 on the base game, and I’ve more than gotten $10 worth of fun out of this in the past three weeks, so I wanted to give back to the devs for a great product.

And… I combined the 6K pp I’d earned with the 5500 pp I bought and bid on a 93 rated 2011 Cliff Lee. I am a Phillies fan and that was a golden team, even if it didn’t go all the way. I won him for about 11,000 pp which is less than his average price of 15,000, so a slight bargain. And a new ace to lead my rotation in gold.

The leader in my division is chock full of gold and diamonds, and with them at 12-2 to start the season I was pretty content to just let it ride and see how next season looked. Then I took 2 of 3 from them so… I dunno. I did pick up Larry Dierker after seeing how well he’s worked for a few others here and he’s been just as excellent.