Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

But the second championship was not to be. My Gold team lost game 7 by a score of 10-2. Ouch. Still, a pretty awesome showing for my teams.

Grats, @KWhit! Impressive performances.

@KWhit congrats on a great season! Were you up late waiting for the sims?

I’m in Gold 361 this week. Not sure if anyone else here is; they don’t give a list of team owners anyway AFAIK.

I don’t think the game likes me - it put everyone in Silver262 and then me into Silver354 all on my lonesome.

I suppose it can’t always fit everyone together based on other teams that are friended together too.

Sorry you got left out, see you in Gold next season!

Thanks!

Yes, I was counting down the minutes waiting for every sim. That last game simmed at 12:30 eastern time.

I really enjoyed the “hide scores” and “watch replay” settings. I could watch the games play out without being spoiled by the outcome.

Yep, I always have the “hide scores” setting enabled. Most of the time i just go to the box score, but for important games, I watch the replay or at least watch the highlights. Really a nice feature.

I’m in Silver 262 and Gold 361, so @tylertoo, you have company in that Gold league.

Looks like Fishbreath and I get to battle it out in the AC Central Division of S262. Neither of us are off to hot starts though.

I have an extra disadvantage: I started The Witcher 3 the other day, so I’ve been quite lazy about checking on the poor Argonauts of late.

You guys are quite enthusiastic.

1. If I purchase OOTP19 and start playing Perfect Team this week, the team I create will be placed into a starter league for the rest of the week so I can learn how things work, right?
  2. Then on Monday my team will automatically move to a Bronze League?
  3. Also, how do you guys run multiple teams? Do you have to make a new account for each team, and if so, does that mean the pool of cards for each team is independent?
  4. I understand a league can have multiples of the same player (i.e., there can be 5 Babe Ruths in a league). But are there multiple versions of the same player in the card pool? For instance, could there be a 1980 Rickey Henderson and a 1995 Rickey Henderson?
  5. There’s no injuries, right?
  6. Do you guys go through the minutia of setting strategies for individual players?
  7. When can you make roster changes to your team?
  1. Correct!
  2. Correct again!
  3. Yup, one Perfect Team per account.
  4. There are a few different sets of cards (2018 Live, Rookie Sensation, Top WAR Season…). The same player can have a card in different sets. Each team can only have one version of each player. (No All-Star Ichiro+Rookie Ichiro outfields, for instance.)
  5. Nope, no injuries.
  6. I do, but only rarely, and usually only to hook a pitcher who often flames out early or to tell a slowpoke not to steal so much.
  7. Whenever you like. The only restriction is that a player you move from your active roster to your reserve roster has to stay on your reserve roster for two sim weeks (~12 hours).

So I had to go look why you specifically mentioned 1995 Rickey Henderson to see if that was a really good year for him… it wasn’t, but while on his baseball reference page I noticed he had 66 steals in 1998. The dude was 39 years old that year! On top of that he lead the league in walks with 118 that year even though he had barely any power and was only hitting .236. Why the bleep were people putting him on base?

Not 1998, but this is a nice video about Rickey.

Ozzie Smith got me 1,500PP recently when he stole five bases in the same game.

I think I’m going to get fired. First two weeks of the season. We haven’t lost on a Monday!

Back when I was spending time on baseball stats I noticed that there were a lot of players like that - good players who had a year at the end of their career with oddly high walk totals even though they were otherwise showing signs of getting old. I figured it came from hitters recognizing their diminished ability before pitchers (and the league in general) recognized it.

Does anyone else have Altuve? Both of my teams have him from initial card packs. At bronze he’s great. At silver he’s ok to good offensively but he’s a defensive problem. I haven’t been willing to sell him because there are tons of copies available. On the other hand it seems to be a waste to have a 89 OVR player sitting on the bench to pinch hit and back up 2b, 3b, 1b, and dh.

I had to change the name of my silver .262 team (The Alan Wiggins Project). I noticed the team behind me in the standings is Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks. So I was considering changing to Beverly Road Geese - but then saw someone already took that! We are now known as the Ohio Bloodbuzzs.
It’s fitting we are in The National Conference.

Hey, we’re in the same league!

Me too. I’m the Cigar City Lagers in that league - in the same division as Strummer. We’re off to a slow start.

Yeah, me too, in last place in my conference despite taking the first three off the librarians. We’ll see if my off-season trading for ricky henderson and orel hershisher keeps me out of relegation, which I barely survived last season. My team is still silver for the large majority, with a few golds and a couple of bronze.

Looks like you and I just played each other. You took the series 2-1.

I wish there I was more talented at editing pictures so I could remove the rectangle from my logo. Maybe I just need to go find a different one.