Out of the Park Baseball 22: Take Me Out to the (Digital) Ballgame once more!

And @vyshka advances, 3 games to none in round one. Impressive!

EDIT: As did @Spock. Good job.

@lostcawz and I are both going to fifth and deciding games.

Hmm, my computer must be behind. With 2 minutes til sim, my game hasn’t reported my game 4 yet.

I’m having trouble finding @tylertoo and @lostcawz . Are you looking at the Tournament Tree?

Wow, I’m sorry to be the spoiler - but at least it is good news.

Yes, was looking in tournament tree, though my logo is a blue letter B for no apparent reason. lostcawz is a bear claw.

Thanks, and no worries about reporting good news! I don’t mind at all. :)

I’ve found a drop-down menu in the “Tournament Coverage” screen that’s easier to navigate than all the logos on the Tree. :)

Also, I did get 3 drops after all from tonight’s stream. Yay!

And I’m eliminated, 3 games to 2, with a 3-1 loss in game 5.

@lostcawz advances, so three of the four of us move on two round 2 – congrats, folks, and good luck!

Ah, better luck next time, @tylertoo. Thanks for taking the time to help us match Qt3’ers to team names. Much appreciated!

Cat claw. River Cat Claw. Sheesh.

I lost in game 5 of round 2, so I’m out too. Best of luck, survivors!

I got beat 3-1 in round 2, but I pulled the Mike Mussina Build-a-Legend so that makes up for it.

Wow, nice!

I’ve been learning a lot from this DRC Nomad stream. These guys have a spreadsheet ranking all the cards in the game. Overwhelming amounts of info, but interesting:

Lost in 5 in round 2. But to the eventual champs. So I’ve got that going for me.

I had some packs to open yesterday so I saved them until after 10 PM and I actually got a build-a-legend card in my 3rd pack. It was Helton, so ok but not great. And it turns out I had quite a few of the BAL missions already complete. So that was pretty cool. I was able to get the upgraded Silver Helton card by completing his mission also. Too bad the card is only so-so.

The community database linked by @Spock is great. I have been using it a lot. I open the spreadsheet and save it to my Google Drive. There are two especially interesting tabs - one called Pitching Comparison and Lineup Builder 2.0. I copy those tabs and rename them for my team (for instance WAS Pit and WAS Hit. Then I fill them out for my team’s roster.

The pitching tab is pretty cool, you click on the dropdown and type in the player name and it does a lookup. And it looks up the info for your pitcher and shows his rankings vL and vR and all that. The batting info is a bit more primitive, you need to find your player in the Hitting tab and copy his name. Then you paste it into your Lineup tab in the proper position. The bottom part of the Hitting tab shows your players ranked by OBP and gives you a good idea as to your lineup order.

The tabs use color coding - and rank your players relative to each other. So the higher rated guys get bluish colors and the lower rated guys get reddish colors. Since it’s all relative, you weant to generally be trying to upgrade from the reddish guys!

I’m not super sold on the pitching rankings - the spreadsheet values MOV quite high, so it rates a guy who’s 45-90-45 better than a guy who’s 60-40-70. But I’m no expert.

The batting rankings can help you see where a guy can be used in a platoon role.

One thing I do to the spreadsheet is add a data filter to it… just ignore this if it sounds too gnarly. I do it in the batters and the pitchers tabs. You select the first header row by clicking on the row ID. Then scroll down to the bottom and shift-click the last row ID. Then go to the Data menu and select “Create A Filter.” This puts the little inverted triangle symbols on each header column. You can click the triangles to filter out data (for instance, the column that shows the player OVR, you can pick “Filter By Color → (Bronze Color)” and it will hide all the non bronze cards. And then you can go to the Position Column and uncheck all the positions except for 2B and all of a sudden you can see what Bronze second basemen are in the game. It’s a big help for planning tourney teams.

When a new version of the DB comes out (he typically puts out a new version every Friday morning, after the Thurs PM updates), I download the new one and then I copy my custom tabs to the new sheet. And I have to create the filter again but that’s just a minute.

Ooh, I haven’t figured out the pitching dropdown yet. I played with it, but I’ll try again. I’ve just been looking my guys up manually and copying their data to a new sheet.

Yes, the pitching ratings are what confuse me – but they seem to have some science behind them, as they accurately predict the success of my guys. Just one example. I have a gold 84 OVR Alex Fernandez (White Sox SP), and I’ve been puzzled why he’s sucking for me. His STU/MOV/CON is 77/61/63. Meanwhile my bronze 69 OVR Wayne Schurr has 55/72/75, and he’s way outperforming Fernandez. Now, Schurr’s numbers do add up to a bit more than Fernandez’s. But even my 68 OVR Gassaway, with 65 /80/44, lower total numbers, outperforms Fernandez – and outranks him significantly in the spreadsheet. Jim Abbott is another gold who underperforms for me. Adam Kennedy another. All predicted by the spreadsheet.

As you say, MOV may be weighted heavily by the spreadsheet. My numbers suggest so. How did you reach this conclusion?

Also, in the stream the guys repeatedly suggested that the relationship between a hitter’s power and contact affected BABIP. Too much power relative to contact could make BABIP … go down? I may not have understood. Do you know what they mean?

I just tried the pitching lineup beta again. I can’t find my pitchers in the drop-down box. If I type in Snapshot SP Jim Abbott, I get nothing. What am I missing?

A right hand?

Heh, funny you say that. My right hand is hurting because of all the mousing in OOTP.

Anyway, it seems downloading the sheet messes it up. Copying it and using it online works for me. It’s eye-opening. Gold is not always better than bronze. :)

OMG! I just plugged in my batters and I have no idea how I’m winning anything. I have a few green spots among a sea of red. And all my defensive areas are below the sanity check. How did I ever get out of the Rookie league?

Yep, I’m experiencing the same sticker-shock. It’s good for us! I have not been paying enough to defensive range, and I love the spreadsheet for that feature alone.

Sad thing is I thought I was paying attention to defense at least a little. Haha.

I grabbed an 83 Mark Grace to replace 89 Giancarlo Stanton. Based on that spreadsheet he’s a huge upgrade both offensively and defensively. He was the first player I saw that I had a chance and getting in the AH. A couple of others I tried first were already selling in the 30k range. Grace was only 1700.

Good job. I do need to shed my fixation on OVR and bronze vs gold etc.

Does anyone know how this spreadsheet calculates things like FIP? I see the formula but can’t follow it. It’s deriving a predicted FIP from the pitcher’s ratings?