Oxygen Not Included: Klei space colony sim

None of those. It’s closer to games like Gnomoria, Rimworld, or Dwarf Fortress (though more limited in context and depth, and with its own unique gimmicks and twists). Art-wise, it’s very Don’t Starve-ish.

Well I’ve never played any of those games! But thanks.

Other than those (those games are in their own “niche”, so to speak) perhaps the closest game in gameplay feel would be… uh… Majesty? Maybe Startopia, in a way.

It felt very Dwarf Fortress to me in someways, i still struggle with all the oxygen simulator stuff tho.

A series of Tubes!

I own this and have not played it much. It just seems overwhelmingly complex and I do not want to watch 20 videos to see how to play this. Are there any relatively SHORT tutorials on how to get started?

I bought it early because Klei deserves the support. I’m just waiting for 1.0 before I spend any serious time with it.

I didn’t find it overwhelming when I picked it up. Just build a couple things here or there and you’ll eventually figure out what the colonists need. Your available build options are pretty limited to start, so it’s pretty easy to get started. I started with toilets and then oxygen generators and then food.

I’ve played this a lot, always ends up in my lads pissing all over the habitat

The first thing I always build is a couple of toilets! They don’t require power and they don’t need to be unloaded for a while, which gives you time to research composting.

Been playing it a bit since I picked it up in a whim over the last holidays. It isn’t bad, but I like DS & survival and builders. I didn’t find the start overwhelming, but the middle bogs with current balance.

Sure, you play until you see what you want to do better, but why things need to be done some ways is very obfuscated with lack of info on things right now. Wiki helps, but not always a lot. Them you open up some neat toys that you really can’t use until you get a lot more build. The toys would be so useful building up, but nope, many effective dependencies make you slog a bit.

It is still fun.

They do eventually piss on everything!

I’ve learned to put caps above and defensive anti-drain walls on all clean water. Some odd pathing and priority choices means it won’t matter how many unused bathrooms, but someone is going to piss their exosuit right over your clean water. Or build themselves into the floor, and suffocate (in the floor), or build from the outside so once the wall finishes, they suffocate or have a long path back. Mostly I use high priority on actions for “rescue that idiot”.

Clean water has to go on top, dirty water on bottom.

Midgame I usually die because the habitat warms up and makes the food crop unviable. I do not notice in time. Cycle of stress tantrums ensues. Ohhh, now I remember Dwarf fortress. Vomit everywhere instead of blood thought.

I like this game, but as long as RimWorld exists, I’d rather play it.

well they puke all over too… I mean the quantity of puke, along with the chain reactions, can be impressive

Anyone else playing the new preview? It really changes a ton!!!

Not yet. What changed to much?

Looks like they added hats and stuff. :p

Oh my God, hats change EVERYTHING!!!

The hats that signify jobs changes everything. So far on 34 cycles it’s been tough to get much done. Where before my dupes would do whatever I wanted if I put the priority high enough, that’s not the case now. Putting the priority up only changes the priority for the people who have that job, so if you have a miner (digger) and you want something dug quickly and put the priority to 4 (there’s only 1-5 priority now and things start at 2 priority) then your diggers will stop digging what they were digging and dig your higher priority task. Your other dupes will do whatever they were doing before. Now you can change that by using the * and then all of your dupes will do it, but then those dupes aren’t doing their regular job and you have to balance that.

The other major change is agriculture/food. As dupes progress in jobs, they want better food. No more 500 cycle base with only meal lice because your dupes will stress out without the food they want. Fortunately food has been buffed big time, and the old foods kcal output has increased significantly. BUT that means farming is a major effort in planning.

So why not just ignore the jobs? Well for example your dupe can’t use the SuperComputer unless they are a researcher. Most/all(?) of the jobs are like that.

They added some stuff to the game but it’s late game stuff (and you’ll need a top tier dupe to use it) and I haven’t gotten nearly that far. I play on the Custom game, no germs, and only some stress, and I’ve seen way more stress than I saw in the previous upgrades.

So I’m looking forward to playing around with it some more, and especially look forward to watching Brothgar and Biffa create colonies.

Hmm need to grab preview and see. I can see that being slower. It also hurts the low dupe, take only the ones with the best rolls type runs. Though I do like fewer dupes.

That one hat, I think it is chef? cook? To me it is my dogs plastic waterbowl (same shape, color, lines), upside down, on head. Sort of like pants-on-head, but dog-bowl-on-head crazy. I see dupes named “Cook Dogbowl” in my future.