Pacific Rim (2013)

Is that the final final title? Cause that title sucks.

It’s not that bad. If they called it “Robot Fighters vs. Sea Monsters” no one above the age of six would go see it.

Surely there’s a middle ground between sleep-inducing and six-years-old. “Pacific Rim” sounds like a nature documentary.

Godzilla vs. Megalon?

— Alan

Pacific Rim is also the name of a Thai/Japanese restaurant across the street from my office that has caused me much internal distress over the years with their Singapore Rice Noodles (especially when I’m feeling dangerous and ask them to “throw some chili sauce on that bad boy”).

Hopefully my intestinal tract won’t respond to this film like a Pavlovian dog to a dinner bell.

That’s really the only way I would be OK with this, if there’s a reference in the movie to geeks programing their computer to have the same voice as from “that Portal video game.”

I’m very happy for Ellen McLain to get more voice work, but running her voice through the actual GLaDOS filter to use in another movie just seems lame. It’s like having Jeremy Renner wear his Hawkeye outfit in the The Bourne Legacy because the director thinks it looks so cool.

Eh, the’ve done stuff like that before, take Kill Bill for instance.

I think the issue here is that Portal is relatively recent so it feels more wrong and less of an homage.

Never Try To Please A Nerd

I don’t know. I think it would be equally lame if they got Douglas Rain or Anthony Daniels and made the computer sound exactly like HAL or C3PO. Or if the computer said “BY YOUR COMMAND” using the same voice as the Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica.

I’m not sure exactly where the line is between homage and lazy ripoff of a character from another franchise, but this feels like the latter to me.

Why? To me a ripoff is making something very similar to capitalize on someone else’s work. This is Del Toro literally asking Valve for permission to use GLADOS voice because he loved Portal and thinks GLADOS voice is cool, in a vastly different product.

If Del Toro were making a movie about someone trying to escape a lab run by a crazy computer and used the GLADOS voice for Portal with the serial numbers filed off, that would be a ripoff. This is just a nerd director of a nerd movie being nerdy.

Isn’t Del Toro a big Valve fan? I swear I remember something about him and Half Life a few years ago.

He is and has already stated he was a fan of Portal as well, and the use of GlaDOS voice was completely intentional.

— Alan

I think it would qualify for lazy if they needed a GlaDOS type of character, and instead of making their own they took the one from Portal. But if you don’t need it, but instead toss it in there for the amusement of the cognescenti, then that’s homage.

A new one

I’ll be in my bunk.

Wow, this looks so goofy. “Today we are canceling the apocalypse?”

What is this movie even about? Is it 2 hours of robot/beast fighting?

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Go away and watch a Godzilla movie. Or an old Gigantor cartoon. Big O. Giant Robo. Ultraman. Lots of choices.

Seriously. The only way it could be better is if it was three hours of robot/beast fighting.

I agree with your assessment; it should be something closer to 6 hours of robot/beast fighting.

Edit: Dave Markell beat me to the punchline. Well played, sir.