Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Echoing this: does this game have a manual? I’d like to create a character, but it seems like I am shooting in a room darker than the caves of Wizardry The Five Ordeals.

It’s mostly in-game under the Encyclopedia.

I got a kick out of Pathmaker: Kingfinder when I dabbled in it, but it definitely suffered from too many words. Good luck wading through that Encyclopedia!

The first rule of good writing: USE FEWER WORDS.

It’s not Paragraphs of Eternity-- wait, Pillars of Eternity – level bad. But it’s bad.

(The writing, that is. The game itself seems kinda… good!)

Well, that’s one complaint that I’ve never heard about Kingmaker…

You’ll be happy to know that the sequel Wrath, does have a manual and it weighs in at a svelte 1004 pages.

@justaguy2 how do you feel about Disco Elysium? 😉

excuse me what even how what

The actual IRL rpg doesn’t even have a book that long, and in that you have to make the dungeons yourself!!!

(I assume, I haven’t played it)

I can never be bothered to read all the books and backstory in RPGs, I just play for the combat.

I just play them for minmaxing and to break the combat system, which is where a manual is sort of useful - and FAQs are a big no-no, as they are too happy to spoil that aspect of a game for you. I don’t think we were discussing the… zzz… lore. PoE even managed to make the combat log wordy!

But I got the right impression, then: i need to fire up the game with a dummy character to access the encyclopedia and take notes (ie write my own manual!) to create a character with that info. It’s a bit sad because I liked the"a stranger walks up to your table at the inn" classical spirit of the intro, and that pleasant feeling would be gone on a reboot. I’ll probably just roll with the rando I picked, and ride the game with it, after all!

With the Respecialization mod you can do a full respec at any time. This includes class and race if you want. There is no need to not play the Prologue (with it’s time limit which is very generous) to get a good idea of what you are doing then after you have a handle start to min-max at the start of Chapter 1 or 2 or whenever you want. It frees up the OCD of min-maxers considerably.

Nooooooo. One of the highlights of the Pathfinder games is that they do extremely well in detailing the history of the world and the characters that populate it. Love the link pop-ups in dialogue that give you extra pieces of lore, too.

Sure, there may be some things I don’t bother to read because I’m eager to move on (some books, for instance), but the writing is a full on plus in these games, and they’d have been worse off without it. Fortunately, just like how you can make combat easier with difficulty choice (like I do), you don’t have to spend a lot of time reading it you don’t want. Just get the gist and move on.

Although I don’t know how i feel about such crazy degrees of freedom, that’s very useful to know. Thanks!

The character building in this game is insane. I though D&D was bad back in it’s day, but this takes it to a completely new level. It’s fun to have so many options in the game, but the amount of knowledge required to craft characters for the higher difficulty levels is pretty insane.

Really enjoying the game, though. First game I’ve played since Baldur’s Gate that really captured that classic D&D feel. A pity they couldn’t figure out a way to make kingdom management aspect interesting. Also, the camping really ends up feeling like pointless padding out of the gameplay. It’s a good game, but it could have been great with just a bit more polish.

I really enjoyed my time with this game, but I never even came close to finishing! Steam says I played for 118 hours. I think I got my money’s worth.

The game is 1 or 2 chapters too long with quite some gaps between some of them (to allow for kingdom management).

I suspect a normal playthrough is at least 200 hours.

I have to say I do appreciate that they allow you to respec your characters. Two chapters into this, and I realize I am just not enjoying playing a sorcerer. Time to respec back into the Fighter/Wizard (or I guess Magi in Pathfinder) that I usually enjoy playing.

Well, I just might try this game again using Hedwirg and his Angry Inch!

Wow, this game is really fun! I mentioned in the WoTR thread that I picked up both games during the Steam sale, but was in the middle of a Tyranny playthrough. I decided to check this out after seeing all the positive feedback on WOTR. You know, just to check it out, maybe see what character generation looks like.

Anyway, I’m hooked. I’m still early in. After a couple of restarts I’ve settled on a vanilla paladin. The whole thing seems really well put together. And since it’s been a few years after release its had more than enough time to bake. The turn based combat is very satisfying and I even tried playing with a controller on my TV and found that to be well thought out.

Still in chapter 1. Looking forward to the kingdom management. Any beginner tips or anything I should know about? I’m making my way through this thread, but it’s a long’un.

Edit: Also I need a quick primer on how Pathfinder game systems work. I have no idea what I’m doing and would love to dig deeper into the meatiness.

Put it on easy and ignore it as much as possible

Here’s a good guide on kingdom management - Spotlight of Development: About Kingdom mechanics. :: Pathfinder: Kingmaker General Discussions

In the difficulty settings, put kingdom management on Easy or Effortless. If your kingdom fails, the game will end.

Don’t get carried away doing kingdom events at two weeks a pop. “Come up for air” once a month or so. Many quests have, ahem, not-so-hidden timers. If you blow them off for too long they will fail.

Keep an eye on your in-game timer on quests. Visit someplace you can adjust your kingdom a couple of times a month when your timers end on events. There is a building you can get that will allow it in new regions.

I think if I ever replay,

Prologue, chapters 1-3 is pretty much enough. Maybe chapter 4 to end the bromance/romance of the two kingdoms. Fin.

Going further after already having seen it isn’t really worth it. Also by chapter 3 I think the difficulty peaks on the world map and elsewhere until the late chapter 5 final area and the god-awful enemy encounters in the end stuff.