Pathfinder: Kingmaker

So there’s potential then?

If they fix (read: nearly redo completely) the final Chapter, yes, I believe so.

One could argue the first 5 chapters are so meaty and fun and engaging that it doesn’t matter - I imagine quite a few folks never get all the way to chapter 6 anyway before they move onto another game.

ahh ok thanks

Another hot fix today fixed all of those.

And… Holy shit there’s an 8th chapter.

And with that glowing report, trigger pulled. Thanks to @Scotch_Lufkin for all of his work in this thread.

I finished it tonight, 153 hours. It was a lot of fun and great game… right up until the final two chapters. Chapter 7 takes place in large dungeon that is filled to the brim with a very difficult and frustrating enemy type. They also respawn (or, perhaps, even spawn) randomly. So that’s fun. /s Whenever I saw that an area had respawned I’d just quickload and go around a different way, but sometimes they wouldn’t even be there after the quickload because they were random.

Then in Chapter 8 (which starts off AWESOME) it turns into even more of a slog. The game brings back those terrible enemies from Chapter 7 but now there are even more of them.

But I slogged through it. It was rough. I’ve been tense and a grouch to my family all day. This is not what gaming is supposed to be about. Get to the final boss, and yeah. Owlcat has no idea what they’re doing here. After 7-8 attempts where it was clear this wasn’t really winnable (even with Mass Heal scrolls…) I threw in the towel and lowered the difficulty to the lowest. Turns out the boss has four phases and I couldn’t make it past the second.

I really think they could easily fix the game by tuning those frustrating mobs and the final encounter.

As a Pathfinder / 3.5E simulator the game is unsurpassed and I’m really looking forward to a second playthrough… after the DLC and they fix the shit out of the game, of course.

This is REQUIRED reading for Kingdom Management - https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3104564981102427318/

Even with this I recommend putting Kingdom Management on Easy or even Effortless. You CAN lose the game by botching a couple of die rolls. And if you want the best ending for the game you have “win” at this part of it, too.

Pay close attention to quests. Some of them are timed and will have significant repercussions to the game if you don’t do them in time, or, you will be told you have to choose which quest to do first.

Like -

Sorry Armag, I couldn’t really be bothered to find your stupid tomb because I was doing Kingdom shit.

And sorry Amiri. I didn’t realize I would fuck up your personal quest. Tristian’s quest was just, like, a LOT closer, so I figured I’d do that one first…

I am having trouble visualizing this. Could you draw a picture?

Wow. I think I can get torture from the local gas station. Corndog and a fountain drink. Good heavens poor Scott was right…

From what I’m hearing, just Google images for Underworld Ascendant.

Is there an easy way to tell if you’ve claimed - rather than just discovered - a stronghold resource on the map already? I’m not sure I visited them all when I was exploring before I got the stronghold. :(

I thought there was a tiny icon on them or something if you’ve claimed it.

Man, I missed it if there is… I’ll take a closer look, thanks!

A post on steam says it’s a small flag.

This game is a lot of fun but the encounter difficulty is out of control at times even in the normal difficulty - makes POE seem like a cake walk

There is a flag, but it’s nearly impossible to see in many cases.

Baldur’s Gate itch, scratched.

Maybe I missed this, if so apologies. The opening two candles zoom is annoying. Purely by accident I discovered that, as soon as you can see the selections, you can click on them.

Did this game break Scott_Lufkin? I’m sad not to see previews and strategies for this and upcoming games not coming from him any more :)

LOL no, though I did have to abandon my first play through after the horribly broken chapter 6 dungeon, and then it sounded like it only got worse after that. I’m very eager to dive back in but I’m going to give it a few more months to cook, I think. I actually had started a new game with a Magus just a week ago after the 2.2 patch came out, but then it was getting daily updates and it was like launch all over again. I think once this game doesn’t require 4-5 hot fixes per week I may be ready to dive back in. :)

As for upcoming games I don’t have anything I’m super passionate about coming, and the stuff I’m looking forward is all DLC/expansions for existing stuff. A crazy number of my games (Battle Brothers, Stellaris, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder) have upcoming DLC I am looking forward to.

Though, speaking of PoE 2, since I haven’t played that since launch and it will have picked up three DLC I have yet to see, not to mention all new sub-classes, I’m going to try my hand at recording a Let’s Play series for that, I had a few folks on YouTube ask me why I never did one, and I guess I just wanted to experience the game the first time on my own terms, but now that I have done so I do want to give a Let’s Play a try and see if it gets enough views to warrant going forward with it.