Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Got to say, I for whatever reason don’t find this surprising. Plus, I’ve got more great stuff to play right now than I’ve got time to play it all, so doesn’t bother me at all hearing this.

Yeah, this is just one more of the crazy deluge of games that was coming in September (and the second one to get delayed). It being pushed to December is better for the game (sounds like) and better for my ability to play it at launch!

So this promises to be the next game for me to play for 200+ hours.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but will this game have any multiplayer? I had a lot of fun playing Laser Squad Nemesis against friends years back.

Nostalgia blast!

Well, they are using Epic’s money to finish properly the game, I can’t complain!

Or because of that money they feel no urgency to hit a deadline they themselves admit they’ve now missed repeatedly.

It would be nice to know what the problems are, because what has been shown looks pretty good.

My guess would be getting the metagame to be interesting.

It’s not that hard to get the tactical combat to be good by polishing it sufficiently. Creating a metagame that keeps you interested long-term, while you play the tactical game over and over? That’s really, really hard. Especially if it’s not a scripted campaign but is instead supposed to be dynamic. They’re further adding to the difficulty by taking elements from Apocalypse, like different factions that interact. So now you have simulation elements that need to balance in a fun way, while allowing for a fun long-term campaign where you’re doing this repetitive thing, and despite repeating the combat, it can’t get too easy. This is extremely difficult to pull off. The first X-Com was a bit of a miracle (and not perfect by any means), and the reboots moved towards less simulation and more scripting for a reason.

I’m hard pressed to think of a time when I wouldn’t say this.

I’d call it a disappointment if they fail on the strategic layer, so yes it would be good if they nailed that down because currently it’s either missing or not shown.

I honestly didn’t think it was due until next year anyway, so no biggie.

They are starting to do basic explanation videos of their systems. If you followed the game constantly there is nothing new I believe, but otherwise they are good videos:

Im playing the latest backer build, and having a lot of fun with it. Feels like the perfect blend of the best parts of the new XCOM with the old XCOM. Ok, I’m kinda missing the ant farm, but the strategic layer has depth…including factions (havens) that you build relationships with , which is the only way you are hiring new soldiers. You can trade with factions (after you research it) and do missions for factions that i found by accident and not mentioned by the tutorial. Which i assume boosts your rating with the faction but they are segmented into types, so I assume that they offer other benefits, one of the sections i could do missions for was military recruits, so i assume thats the secondary benefit in that case.

The faction i had a relationship with had standard recruits but the equipment they come standard with is top tier for the stuff I can build.

Things I noticed:

• Troops can go from mission to mission, but lose stamina after each mission (ala XCOM 2),
  • no timers on missions (yet) but the bad guys can wipe out supplies you want to recover
  • Leveling your trooper is a mix of the original (increasing the stats of a solider) and the new XCOM (with skill trees) and XCOM 2 (includes choosing a option to have a secondary skillset)
  • Start with a soilder type that can jumpjet across the map
  • Will ability can do a few things including allowing you to move spending will instead of AP
  • Action point based
  • Destructible EVERYTHING

5 min to load the game when starting…so NOT optimized lol. I’m really having a hard time deciding to wait till the release, or play now

Single post release down side i can think of…it has zero voice over, almost no cutscenes. Very sparse in this area, So I’m missing that aspect from the Fraxis version here.

This is an upside.

They’d better stick the landing when this is released, because the relatively highbrow Lovecraftian setting is not going to win over many dudebros. Any bugs are going to garner a lot of scrutiny.

What is the projected release date on this now?

Its currently projected as December.

I’ve played 10 hours and i had no of the bugs that i had in XCOM at launch like teleporting enemies or crashes.

it plays, and looks amazing. I’m a little addicted to wiping out terrain and buildings, so i lose a lot of guys on normal…but i suspect the difficulty might be a little easy on normal otherwise.

Oh yes…um lost a guy to a face hugger sorta lol. I DID shoot it off his face…and shot off his face lol.

I think using a auto rifle may have had too much penetration and I should have opted for a pistol…

It probably wont make much of a difference between shooting at a dude’s face with a pistol or a rifle. Both ends up with an mangled face. ha

Missed this a few days ago, looking good!

Wonder when this is hitting gamepass in December?

Looking good.