Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

And any views re this question and DLC4? I haven’t been back into PP for ages and ages.

I’m on my first playthrough on console (XSX), and the game seems to be getting buggier as I go. I’ve just done the Antarctica mission, fo reference. I have no idea how far that is in, but it seems pretty far?

Anyway, the game seems to be getting glitchier and glitchier. I had no problems at all for a while. Then, when resolving some Exploration missions, it would double-press ‘A’, so I couldn’t really see how they resolve. Not a big deal, but annoying, and at first I thought it was my controller, but have since seen others report g the same issue.

Next, when exploring on the GeoScape, it wouldn’t actually acknowledge it- I’d get the timer circle, but then… nothing. So I’d fly off to a different one. Same. Saving and reloading the game makes them all pop at once, and if one was a scavenge mission, or a haven or story mission, if your plane has moved on, you have no one there to deploy. So as soon as it happens, save, exit to title, reload. And it’s happen g more and more often.

This last one has happened twice, both recently. Load into a mission, and… none of the buttons work. You can scroll around the map, rotate, etc, but no button presses work, including the Menu button. So this one requires hitting the big glowy X, going to desktop, killing the game and rebooting. Ugh.

How about “Living Weapons” and “Corrupted Horizons” ?

These sound like issues with controller support? I’ve been playing the PC version lately – strictly keyboard and mouse – and I haven’t seen any of this kind of stuff. On the contrary, the games seem more solid than ever on the PC.

-Tom

The free DLCs?

Living weapons is just a few missions that give you more powerful weapons. Its worth it.

Corrupted Horizons adds corruption to the game, you normally acquire mutagens, which you can largely ignore ( unless you get the mutegen dog tech). Corruption makes it so the Mutagens become a key resource, your spending it all the time, to remove corruption from your squads. You also can spend 200 to make a mutagen solider.

Its difficult to grade this right now, because im playing with festering skies, and with ALL the expansions you feel like your in a desperate fight just to survive and manage the various needs. I will say this, it adds complexity to the base game! Sometimes it feels a little much with everything added, but without festering skies it probably adds a touch more to both global management, and tactical combat choices in the game (capturing aliens is largely how you get those mutagens).

I havent bothered buying/building mutagen soldiers mainly because by the time you have extra mutagen to make one (mid to late game), you already have 2 or 3 active squads fully trained up, so little incentive adding a new rookie to your army. The mutation class is interesting, but not as effective as the existing combos that already exist, imo (looking at the skill progression)

WAR

Im my game war has broken out between New Jericho and Synedrion!

Thanks guys, really not helping with me keeping the planet populated.

So after some 300 hours according to Steam, I finally finished a game of Phoenix Point., I used the first and last DLCs, but not the middle ones. I really like this game. The strategic layer is more in-depth than X-Com 2, and the tactical battles are very satisfying. On to something else!

But there is new DLC coming soon for you to try!

Behold DLC 5.

Which I will no doubt buy. But what is that? And what’s with that accent? Some vehicle based DLC? I never use the vehicles that we’ve already got!

Meh a vehicle DLC. I don’t like playing with vehicles in these kind of games (Xcom, xenonauts, etc) because i feel like im missing the opportunity for my soldiers to gain experience.

They need to add a deditcated slot for vehicles or something like that.

The solution then: vehicles should gain XP!

Agreed. I only ever used captured vehicles and the biological analog for base defense support, never on missions as they took up too many unit slots (and units are much stronger by mid-game)

Experience point gains in Phoenix Point are fixed regardless of how many soldiers you send. In other words, if you send one soldier, he gets all the xp. If you send six, they divide it amongst themselves. But you’re going to earn the same amount of xp for the mission either way. That’s one of the elements of the game’s tuning that makes vehicles viable: it’s never going to take xp from your soldiers.

So for instance, say you’re running a B-team of newer soldiers, trying to level them up. Sending a vehicle along is going to boost their firepower considerably, but it won’t affect the amount of xp they earn one whit. Or say you’re got a team of experienced soldiers you don’t want to risk scouting ahead on the map. Bringing a vehicle will give them an unmanned scout and it won’t reduce the amount of xp they earn.

-Tom

Ohhhh that’s nice to know, might give vehicles a try next playthrough.

Yes but. If you bring a vehicle, you can’t bring as many soldiers. And those soldiers will get 0 experience. Also, each soldier you bring gets 10 skill points. So you would lose out on that.

Well, sure, but I suspect most players are operating under the (incorrect) assumption that taking vehicles has an additional cost by depriving soldier of experience points. You admitted yourself that you never use them, and I’m guessing that’s partly why; you didn’t realize how experience points were earned. Phoenix Point has a lot of very meticulous design elements – I mean, we’re talking Juilian Gollop here – and many of them are only communicated in the documentation…that many players don’t even read. :(

My overall point is that vehicles have a carefully engineered role in Phoenix Point and I find them very useful, particularly when playing at more challenging difficulty levels. I’m excited to see how they further develop the vehicle system the same way the last DLC developed the aircraft system.

-Tom

Dude. Chaos Reborn rules. Mostly.

OK those are decent points, but I wouldn’t fault him or the company. It’s a small company trying to survive in a very difficult market, with no cash cow to fall back on.

That’s mechanic is inherited from the original X-COMs isn’t it? The game told you a percentage representing accuracy but then traced the round’s path to the target square, and cover worked by physically being in the way. So you’re wrong and Gollop is doing his own thing, but you’re also right in that his own thing really is the opposite of “meticulous design”.

My source is “I Saw It Somewhere On The Internet”. If that’s not good enough this wiki page gives a lot of confusing numbers that may or may not support my version. Another page says Sectoids’ shots are affected by them being shorter.