Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I don’t care about RPG builds at all but I’m curious about strategy games “build orders” and strategies. Even then it’s interesting to see RPG builds. The very fact that someone talks about builds in an RPG is a good sign: it means that they’re not obvious, there are more than 1 and that the balance of the game probably allows for experimentation.

Deadfire specifically is good with builds due to all those subclasses. By themselves they don’t change that much but they’re very helpful in giving you a theme for the character. Like that drug monk forces you to go full Castaneda.

Worth a watch.

John that was excellent TY.

Initiative was stressed a bit but he agreed that dex builds seem weaker. Initiative is important but I think overall less so than the previous faster attack builds. Maybe heavy hitting weapons would be better.

Chanters were discussed at the end but I have no idea how this effects them as they seem to be so attuned to dex builds and speed of chants etc.

Maybe we should send this video to NerdCommando?

I didn’t really understand why an Intellect of 14 is optimal. Was that only with regards to spells & their relationships to initiative, right? But doesn’t Intellect do more than that?

EDIT: Ok, watching it again (6:30 mark), he’s talking about spells with duration. Intellect increases area of effect, Will, and Ability Duration. At 14 intellect Ability Duration is increased by 20%, which is optimal for increasing all the spells in the game by a whole 1 round, or 2 rounds, depending on the spell, and if you have an ability duration higher than 20%, (i.e. intellect higher than 14) it gets rounded down and you waste the rest. So I guess that makes sense. But again, that’s only the ability duration. You still get a higher area of effect and will bonus with higher intellect.

I wish it was an article. It takes longer to listen to the video again and again and I absorb less of it.

Edit 2: Aha! I found the article. Much better.

I saw on Reddit that a Holy Slayer build breaks turn-based or did recently.

Basically you can assassinate/paladin smite thing people from stealth and they don’t really react. So you can just repeat it endlessly until everyone is dead or something.

New patch:

Addendum they forgot in the notes:

Combat is correctly started in Turn-Based Mode after kills made from stealth.

A little salty language, so maybe NSFW.

John whew what a relief. TY. The difference in real time mode vs. Turn based (stats and how they affect things) is Ginormous!

This is an excellent video.

Thanks for linking that @John_Reynolds. I just tested the waters with the game yesterday and this video will be very useful when making build decisions.

Oof, sounds like ciphers don’t fare too well inTB mode. Is the class still recommended from roleplaying or lore perspective,like it was in the first game?

If not I might roll a Wizard instead. Free actions for buffs sounds very appealing.

I’ve been playing a Cipher and some of their abilities are easier to use in turn based (any Ray based abilities), imo. I feel like some spells/abilities (not just Cipher) need to have a higher base duration, as I’m constantly feeling like I hit someone with a debuff that expires before they even take their next turn. I know there is a stat extending the duration, but I just think base durations need to be looked at, maybe.

I was also doing a multi-class Cipher, so I never got past tier 2 abilities. But Mind Blade is just as awesome in turn-based as it is in real time (maybe even more so, because you can sit back and appreciate the animation more), as well as her ally buffs and such.

I wonder why they didn’t make characters take more actions in a single ‘turn’, based on their dexterity (or whatever). You can do that in a turn based system.

Been fooling around the 1st island a bit figuring out what class I want to play (turned based). I am wondering what difficulty is everyone playing? Normal seems a bit easy, does it ramp up later?

So I finally gave the turn-based stuff a real try and. . .I love it. Completely changes how combat plays in the game. While it’s obviously slower than RTwP, it’s so much more tactical and deliberate. So after watching that Fextralife video, I went with a Goldpact Paladin because combining super heavy armor with slow 2-handed weapons is no longer the killjoy it once was with this game.

My previous play with a Goldpact paladin ended badly, Eothas’ Challenge doesn’t update when you visit the queen in Neketeka and get ordered to sail to Hasonga. So me being Mr Max Efficient visited her with like 12 hours left. There went 11 hours of my life.

Final (5.0) patch drops today. I’m super out of the loop, but lots of great new content and updates from bug fixes to even story content upgrades.

Also, Turn Based mode is out of beta! Time for me to get my second play through on.

Great time to run a sale to attract new customers!
checks Steam
Nope. Missed marketing opportunity.

Good news about turn based! I got tired if DoS2 after getting out of the fort. The battles were fine but too much tedium like inventory management. Shame because DoS 2 improved in many ways over the first.

I’m currently playing the newest Bards take and like it even though the writing isn’t so hot.

I thought Josh left Obsidian. I must have napped during a news flash that announced his return.