PlayStation 5

Happy to report in that I managed to snag my desired disc version at Best Buy Canada online during a drop of just over 2400 consoles about 20 minutes ago. It’s taken many a try, but I didn’t give up. It won’t arrive in time for the last night of Hanukkah, but I’ll print out the In Progress order status page and present it to my son, who’s really been begging for this to happen.

Aaaw. Your son will be so happy.

Awesome for your kid. I was “hoping” to get a PS5 for my daughter as I told her we wouldn’t get them until Far Cry 6 comes out but was silently hoping to really surprise her…but I just cant snag one and $886 on StockX is just too much with tax and shipping included…bummer.

I absolutely refused to pay anything above retail, so I totally get it. In the end I was successful because I’d pre-entered all my payment and address information into the BB web site and made sure I was staying logged in regularly. I closely monitored the official Best Buy Canada Gaming Twitter account. As soon as they tweeted the in stock message, at a time when I was lucky enough to be in front of my computer but not actively working, I clicked through off the tweet and rushed through the ordering process.

Based on the in stock and out of stock tweets, there was a 3 minute window, so the stars really do have to align.

@Nesrie, I haven’t told him yet, but he’s going to flip. We finished our first playthrough of the new Miles Morales Spider-Man on the PS4 and have been wanting to do a New Game+ replay (since we pass the controller back and forth, we each only play roughly half the game, so we like playing twice). Doing it on the PS5 over the now officially extended by a week (here in Quebec) holiday break is going to be a lot of fun.

After a month of trying we finally managed to snag a PS5 from Walmart online yesterday - won’t be here til 1/9, but at least I can stop spending so much time looking.

Wow, this is kind of amazing. Maybe the stock is not only starting to pickup but people are still getting theirs on them, well almost, prior to Christmas.

Yes! It’s a relief to not have to worry about missing a drop because I’m cooking, or going to the bathroom.

That may be the best part about the success. Now I just get to check obsessively until it ships (possibly as soon as tomorrow according to the status tracking page) and then I can just relax and enjoy during the vacation period. Miles, Bugsnax, Astro Bot… we’re going to hunker down in our lockdown (starting Dec. 25, funny that) and enjoy.

I have no luck with these next gen consoles.

First my Xbox Series X is having black screen flickers. I got a ps5 and player Spider-Man just fine last night. I shut it down before going to bed, and now today it won’t turn on. Tried everything the Internet suggests. I’m just waiting for Sony support now, but from reading some other threads sounds like it’s bricked.

You shutdown the PS5 and now it won’t even power-up?

Yup. I unplugged everything, tv and console, for a while. Swapped power cords. Held the power button down. Nothing happens.

It worked fine last night, I was playing for hours. I shut it down before bed using the shut down option. Now it’s dead.

Aaw, that sucks. Sorry that happened.

Hopefully they can just help you over the phone to get her going again.

You do the trick where you hold the power button down on the console itself for 10 seconds while it’s unplugged, then plug it back in and then try to power it up with the button on the console?

Lol no. Hold it down while it’s unplugged?? Let me try it

It’s a common troubleshooting thing in IT, to try and flush any residual charge from a device, some say hold it for 30 seconds.

Yeah that didn’t help. Sony said it’s bricked. They’re starting a service exchange with me.

I had to take the white shell off and use a screwdriver to get the disc out. Sony support walked me through that.

Next generation!

The Series S is nice. You still have one more next gen chance!

Honestly though something is up with your setup.

You really ought to get the power in your home checked. That does not sound normal at all.

I’d think you were on to something if I didn’t find threads with dozens of other people complaining of these problems. The Sony support guy diagnosed this pretty quickly, and there’s a lot of threads out on the internet about it, so I think this is a problem with the PS5.

I live in an apartment building so not much I can do about the power. Everything else works fine.

They happen to mention the cause?

Yeah he said it’s the power supply.