PlayStation 5

Umm… is this your first Souls game?

What class did you start with, Royalty I hope so if this is your first Souls game, if not restart as that.

Soul Arrow will kill a lot of bad guys at range safely. Combat you just need to learn the flow, you can also parry/riposte most attacks, sidestep into backstab also is kind of OP/broken for a taking on a lot of human sized enemies. For the shield guy, if it has blue eyes you should be able to beat it if it has red eyes don’t fight it you can come back much much later to deal with that guy.

I assume this is your first souls game if you are having that kind of trouble because Demon’s is generally somewhat easier than later games.

So remember this isn’t a character action game, combat is about picking your openings not smashing the attack button as fast as you can for a combo. Everything is much more methodical

Also, this is like the loop of these games, your character improves but you as the player improve too, but dying over and over is somewhat part of that.

You aren’t supposed to explore the whole level at once. There’s a few monsters that are intended to kill people if they don’t know what they’re doing/underpowered. Turn around from the red-eyed guy.

This is assuming you’re not talking about a boss. I haven’t seen what they look like on PS5 yet.

Blocking is important. Especially on the first level, most of the enemies will attack, then have a short period when they are undefended. Block, strike, move back to let your stamina recover, repeat.

Get the spear on the first bridge the dragon burns and just use that to clear most enemies. You can block while you attack with it.

I just want to say I really, really hate the world tendency system. It’s absolutely ridiculous and just overwrought game design. It’s fucking impossible to get a white world. I want to ignore it but I keep seeing hints about how a thing is blocked because my world isn’t white. I died a lot on one boss and now getting back to it there’s red super enemies in the way. So stupid.

So I’m at the dragons, there’s a blue and red one. Is this where you’re talking about?

I’m curious I keep losing all my souls. It’s been a bit upsetting to get 5,000 and then dying twice. Do people buy stuff with them so you don’t have them go to waste? But then if I go back to the beginning to buy or repairs then I have to fight my way back to the dragons.
Any advice with that would be great lol.

Oh, I’m a knight. I’d like to power on with this dude if I can. And yes, this is my first demons souls game. I never played the other souls game that is super hard either. So right now I’m just sitting on a staircase watching and listening to these scary dragons lololol.

Where I’m having the most issues in combat is when I’m caught with low stamina in a hit I can’t seem to recover to get out of a bind. Which usually goes along with being teamed up by two or more enemies.

Honestly don’t sweat a measly 5000 souls. The experience you get from dying, like knowing where enemies are, is worth more than anything you can buy with those.

yeah, the dragons guard some loot, but I wouldn’t go for it. You can kite the red dragon to burn fire on the bridge so that it will kill some enemies, then you should kite him back to the blue dragon, and then run and try to cross the bridge. It is a bit tricky, but you are safe on the other side, 1 or 2 dudes are waiting in a room behind the bridge.

they appear super hard, until you get into the rhythm of them. Nowadays I can get to the first boss in this level without dying at all, not because I am a super masterful dexterity guy, but because I know the enemies, how they attack (I find parrying hard, so I mostly block)

What class did you start as?

He started as a Knight.

I started as a temple knight thinking I could get miracles but so far there’s just 1 vendor who sells 2 spells. No lightning bolts for me :(

I’m bumming out on heavy armor too it feels way worse than it did in dark souls. Like I’m a snail.

Mix and match your armour but keep your encumbrance under 50% so you don’t fat roll.

That’s the other thing, I’m not finding a ton of armor. I have another suit of plate, and some on off drops from these fat bastards. The ones that throw fire and can apparently poise through every attack so I need to exploit pillars to kill them. Maybe I’m spoiled from Dark Souls and that Gold Hemmed Black Robe set which was decent defense and no weight.

I am overall loving this game. It feels more D&D than any of the other Souls games. I just really dislike world tendencies. It adds a level of stress that discourages experimenting, learning bosses, and of course PvP.

you can forget world tendencies if you always go through levels in undead form. Kill yourself at the Nexus. It means you lose a ring slot as you would generally always want the cling ring to be equipped.

@jpinard Restart as Royalty. You will have a MUCH easier early game being able to cast Soul Arrow and with the MP rejuvenation ring. You’re not gonna lose much progress from the sound of it. Royalty is the class for beginners.

Where do I see this stat? Do you mean where it says the percentage of how much I’m wearing vs. what my max is? or the total amount of stuff you carry?

I’d have to take off half my armor and would have nothing to replace it if I went 50% of the max I can wear. Seems dangerous if true?

This. Armour is not that important, it’s better to learn to dodge or block instead. Make sure you use a shield with 100% physical resistance.

That’s confusing. I am very bad at dodging right now, but good at blocking.