President Trump Optimism thread

As opposed to the validation that allowed this idiot group to grow. We tried being nice. It didn’t work. It’s coming to Jesus time. They’ll understand that perfectly because they use it again every other group they can think of.

I saw one in one restaraunt in downtown Raleigh.

That said, some areas it would be tough to shun Trump assholes, such as Alabama. Something has to be done, they need to suffer consequences for their views.

I don’t think ‘validation’ by liberals, the press or anything else had any effect whatsoever on the growth of this group. If anything, it’s criticism of this group that solidifies their beliefs. If they view things as “Us and Them,” calling them dumb racists simply reinforces the fact that we’re “them.” This very much includes the press.

Seriously, has anyone ever changed the behavior of a (non-employee) adult by telling them, “First, you’re stupid. Second, you’re a racist. Now let me tell you how to behave…” Hostility and insults never work, even if they feel good to fling.

Forget about how good or just it feels to say this stuff. Think about how it will be sound to intended recipients.

What about acknowledging reality? I mean, how far do you take it? If people voted for Carrot Top to be president, then could we call them idiots? Or should we still spare their feelings?

I don’t think you’re listening. They create an Us vs, Them, not the other way around. They were not treated like the idiots they are leading up to the election, and we got Trump as a results. You’re acting like the kid gloves weren’t on then, but they were. It’s time too take them off.

We did it your way. It didn’t work. Doing it again is a definition of insanity. These people are not based on reality and a lot of them are, in fact, racist.

It already happens, right here in Hawaii, the bluest state, a cafe put up a sign saying: “If you voted for Trump you cannot eat here! No Nazis.”

It caused outrage on Fox and was even unpopular in Hawaii. Of course, that was back at the end of Dec. before the sheer awfulness had sunk in.

As Oghier says it a profoundly stupid way of trying change peoples minds.

I guess it depends on what people are trying to accomplish, score “I told you points”, or trying to get enough support to minimize the damage Trump is causing, with the eventual goal of getting him replaced before 2020.

They 're not going to change their minds.

Perhaps. But by the same token, no one has ever changed other people’s behavior by refusing to set limits on behavior. “We’d prefer it if you don’t smoke here” or “You might possibly think twice before sending that dick pic to your co-workers” or “You might want to consider drinking less. Or not. It’s up to you” just doesn’t cut it.

People need to be told: that shit is not acceptable, or there will be consequences. Otherwise, they’ll just keep on doing it.

What’s up for debate is the extent to which being an avid and public Trump supporter is a valid proxy for unacceptable behavior. (The point of the “Remaining Trump supporters” article is that the numbers of valid ways to end the sentence, “I say I’m neither an idiot nor an asshole, but I supported Trump because [fill in the blank]” is dropping by the hour.)

That’s simply not true.

You may have noticed that Trump’s approval rating have dropped considerably since he took office. Even his approval among Republican has dropped.

A large chunk of those people who use to approve of him and now don’t, actually voted for him. That’s called changing your mind.

That’s not the group that’s shifting… That’s the whole point of the article. You read it right? Trump’s base is not shifting. He just had some members of the GOP join him in hopes it wouldn’t turn into the clown car show it i; they actually thought the GOP could control Trump… They can’t.

He is wrong, Trump’s base is shrinking. 538 did an analysis a couple months ago and showed that the percentage of people who strongly approve of Trump is dropping even faster than his top line approve/disapprove ratings.

There are many types of Trump voters the ones who felt that both Trump and Hillary sucked but he is better than Hillary, hardly bother to support him anymore (Hey I said he sucked!). I know a few that will still say Hillary was awful.

But even among his hard core base, the ones who enthusiastically went to polls to vote for him because he thought he stick it to the elites, millions of them have became disillusioned with him. You can see it in the polls, and also in individual interviews. “Why is Trump working with Republican to taking away my medical care, I need it”.

The guy got 60 million votes he is going to be able to fill up venues with enthusiastic supporters for years, but that doesn’t mean folks aren’t changing their mind.

If those folks still vote for Trump after all that, they truly are lost causes as people.

I have one of those signs in my front yard. My wife bought it a few months ago at our local farmer’s market.

We have a similar sign on our lawn.

Cross over to the light, children. All are welcome. All are welcome.

I visited the US from the UK earlier this year - May, I think - visiting my girlfriend. These signs were everywhere we went on the East Coast - all the towns near Princeton in New Jersey, down to DC.

Honestly, I’d never seen anything like it - active political campaigning after an election is so damn weird.

My folks had a similar sign. A muslim neighbor thanked my dad for it. The HOA later made him take it down.

HOAs are fucking evil.

I mean… this is a given.

+1
(make sex w/Discourse)

So I mean what would they have done if he hadn’t done it?

I always tried to figure out what the fuck a bunch of nosy neighbors could do if I didn’t trim my lawn just so, but didn’t give enough of a shit to actually try very hard, since I’m a Millennial and will never own property :)