President Trump Optimism thread

So NK received what they wanted, and didn’t have to offer anything in return… and now they ALSO received our committment to end exercises with the South Koreans?

Great deal, yo.

Calling something that Trump pooped out of his mouth a “commitment” is like calling a baby dumping Cheerios onto his head “eating”.

I’m going to steal this. Wonderful!

Best deals. Meanwhile we’re alienating all our allies and making sure the economy tanks due to these stupid tariffs on steel and aluminum.

SO MUCH WINNING.

(He was right on the “we’d get get tired of it” part, though, I’ll give him that.)

That. Is. Beautiful.

i wish all those at fox news complicit in normalizing trump could get prosecuted as well.

Only if you ignore the jarringly mixed metaphors. Which is kind of impossible.

So our Dear Leader is starting a trade war. Not just with China but with everybody. The last time this happened it brought the Great Depression. I’m guessing all the unemployed Trump supporters won’t be too happy with the dude so, he won’t be reelected.

How is that for optimism?

Well, I guess it’s optimistic in a way, except for all the unemployment and despair that will bring. Just in time for my last five years before retirement, yay.

I’m a long way from retiring but I’m just finally getting my feet solidly under me after a lot of setbacks. Currently looking (needing) at buying a new house with my SO. Lots of anxiety about the future.

My portfolio would suffer big time during a recession/depression too. It is interesting question, is the Trump presidency so vile, and destructive to America long-term that is worth hoping for a recession or depression. Just to insure he isn’t elected and the Trump Republicans disappear?

I’d vote yes for a garden variety recession, no for a depression, and I don’t know for a great recession like we had in 2008/9

If it’s literally recession versus the end of the Republic, of course a recession is preferable. The rub is that even now it’s hard to be so sure the stakes are that high that you’d gamble your nest egg on it. Which is perhaps the very trick in human psychology that lets shit like this happen in the first place.

edit: Not that any of us can wave a magic wand and make a recession happen to eject Trump, anyway.

You assume people have the sense to lay the blame in the right place. We both know they won’t. It will somehow be Obama or Clinton’s fault.

That’s true, but historically there is a very high correlation between the economy and the electoral performance of the ruling party. Right now the economy is doing great, and nobody is predicting anything bad for the next two years.

The thought has crossed my mind to write my naturally protectionist Congresswoman, who is now leading in the race for Governor, urging her to support Trump’s tariffs on China and our cheating allies.

Now mind you I doubt I’ll do this…

Yeah we saw how that worked out with Nominee Trump. Better to not try to play the system.
Because the system is fucking dumb as shit.

How about the fact that we currently have falling real wages … for 4/5s of US workers?

The average hourly wage paid to a key group of American workers has fallen from last year when accounting for inflation, as an economy that appears strong by several measures continues to fail to create bigger paychecks, the federal government said Tuesday…

For workers in “production and nonsupervisory” positions, the value of the average paycheck has declined in the past year. For those workers, average “real wages” — a measure of pay that takes inflation into account — fell from $22.62 in May 2017 to $22.59 in May 2018, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

This pool of workers includes those in manufacturing and construction jobs, as well as all “nonsupervisory” workers in service industries such health care or fast food. The group accounts for about four-fifths of the privately employed workers in America, according to BLS.

You never had it so good! … Well, most of you actually had it better last year. But your bosses are doing great!

The real kicker is if the trade war (easy to win!) continues. If goods start to cost more, maybe voters will actually have the capacity to connect that to the current administration.

Basically, we’ve let the banking and financial sector become the master of the “real economy” instead of its servant. Over time it accounts for an ever larger share. At some point something has to give.

Oh, I know! Taxpayers. Learned that in 2008!

A real christian nation would ban charging interest. That would shut the banking system down pretty quickly!