Prime Day

Worth checking current “Prime Day Deals” against stuff like CamelCamelCamel to see whether or not they’re even necessarily major discounts for Amazon itself. Apparently some folks on reddit this AM found some stuff that was barely discounted beyond its normal price/only to a level it dropped to semi-regularly already.

Just like supermarket sales! Amazon, always disrupting.

I was poking through the camping section to try and find another tent on sale because it doesn’t look like I’ll get the one I wanted (which, to be fair was almost 50% off). One tent looked OK and I checked out the “deal”… it was 1.65% off the regular price, which came out to like $3 lower than the normal price of about $275.

The sale price is down a bit further on the product page than the regular price instead of replacing it, for whatever reason. So it might be that terrible a discount but it might just be that you missed the sale price, depending.

Woke up this morning to find a confirmation email for 2 pairs of boots, a purse and a 50-pack of makeup in my email. Guess my wife found Prime Day before me

I wasn’t planning to buy anything this time… and then I saw a Crucial 750 GB SSD for $139 (30% off). I bought 2, plus the necessary SATA cables. I’ve been wanting an SSD for a long time now and just couldn’t pass up that kind of deal. It’s a little slower than the Samsung EVO Pro 512 gig and apparently the Samsung tools are far superior to what Crucial provides. Still, with the Prime deal it’s $84 cheaper and 45% bigger. Compared to my 5400 rpm HDD, I’m guessing I won’t care that the Crucial is 530/s while the Samsung is 550/s.

Got a nice pair of Skate shoes discounted 30%, which is nice considering how crazy fast skating kills shoes. I feel like I’m always on the hunt for a deal on skate shoes.

Moto X Pure 32GB for $250 is not bad. I’d seriously consider it if I didn’t want a smaller phone.

The only deal I would have jumped on I missed by minutes: Dremel 4000 for $56.

RAID0 them and you’ll be faster than any SSD on the market.

But make sure you back that shit up regularly, because you’re doubling your risk. Lose either drive and you lose all the data.

I snagged the 4TB Seagate SSHD since $120 for that plus Far Cry Primal seems like a pretty decent deal to me and I finally have a motherboard that supports booting from drives greater than 2 TB. There were a few other moderately good deals but it’s still no Black Friday.

Picked up MLB The Show '16 which had an extra 20% discount and brought it down to 16 bucks. Think that’ll be it for me.

I am struggling to think what to buy. Maybe a few of the $50 gift cards with $10 credit added?

Did the same as a gift. Hard to beat $16 for a AAA newish PS4 game.

That expired earlier in the day. Before I got a chance at them, of course.

I ended up getting a hammock and Mad Max Fury Road. I was waiting for the bluray with the black and white version of the movie and whatever else was promised, but the studio seems to be taking their own sweet time with it.

Everything already on my wishlist actually went up in price today. Awesome! I did try getting a Sandisk II 960GB SSD, but naturally they sold out while it was in my shopping cart and I was clicking through to make the purchase.

The usual for me. I’ve reached the age of not buying stuff unless it’s something I’ve been thinking about for quite some time and I see a sale price that’s lower than any previous price I’ve seen. I thought about a Fire stick because we can’t stream to one of our three TVs, but then we hardly ever watch that TV, and even the TVs we can stream to we don’t watch that much. One more purchase dodged.

I guess an Amazon gift card would have been a good buy since I do buy Kindle ebooks. I didn’t think of that at the time. Wish I’d grabbed one now. And wouldn’t you know it but I spent $10 to buy a Joe Abercrombie ebook tonight too. That would have been free with a gift card purchase. Dang.

I managed to get one of those, but that is all I got.

Prime Day was a bust for me. I missed a couple of deals I would have bit on because I wasn’t monitoring Amazon every 5 minutes throughout the day. I even was too late on the $50 gift card + $10 credit deal.

I spent like an hour in the evening trying to find something I could buy and donate to my son’s school for the annual auction they have coming up. Usually I try to get something people could use outdoors, in the kitchen or around the house that’s around $75 or so total cost. Last year it was a nice NFL team-themed rolling cooler and outdoor entertainment set combo. This year I surfed through dozens of Prime Day offerings and absolutely nothing stuck out as a great item and a great deal. That was across multiple categories including Kitchen, Home, Outdoors and even Electronics (although there were some decent deals in Electronics for way more than $75…).

It just seemed like way too much information overload. Tons of garbage deals that you had to wade through to find one decent deal, and no decent sorting options. You pretty much had to be sitting in front of Amazon all day long too if you wanted to have any shot at the really good deals.

I did end up getting a tent… just not the one I wanted. It was still a great deal.

My damage:
New Fitbit for Ms. Wisdom: $120 (20% off)
New 8-person tent: $80 (50% off)
Exploding Kittens game: $15 (25% off)
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies BluRay: $10 (50% off)

I found it to be a relatively fun day. The “Lightning Deals” reminded me fondly of the old Steam Sales and it wasn’t any harder to find stuff than normal. Pretty much everything on my four-item wishlist was on sale, even though I only wound up taking advantage of one of them.

For Amazon, it sounds like it was a major success:

This game is awesome