Qt3 in real life

hey QT3ers, i’ve been offline from QT3 for the last month after the next-gen security appliance we use blocked QT3 for “gaming” --apologies after starting the whole thing to cheer up jpinard – anyone heard from him lately?

Indeed!

This weekend (Sat to Mon) I’ll be down in Florida for a bit of a break from the Michigan winter. Orlando area, with a day over at Cape Canaveral. If anyone in the area would like to do lunch or grab a beer or whatever, let me know!

PM me when you do one of these , I really should try to hit one up sometime- but I’ve been busy with local streamer friends and Democrat stuff.

Dang, I wish I had thought to do that; we had a gathering on Sunday this month at an excellent local taco joint. @BigWeather and his youngest son came out! Unfortunately, the place was far too crowded because of the time I picked, so our group got split across several tables, which was a little sad. I’ll let ya know what we’re planning for April as soon as I know >.> haha

We just had the best experience of Qt3 in real life over the last week. We were lucky enough to get a visit from @marquac, who spent his vacation days to come down here to California from a whole other country somewhere to the north of us just to play board games and watch a movie and have a couple of meals and go on hikes with us. It’s so great when you meet someone you’ve grown to care about and respect online, and they turn out to be even better than you thought they’d be in person.

Here’s a picture of Chris playing some weird card game against Tom. I’m pretty sure it was Exploding Kittens:

You’ll note that Chris is wearing the jersey of his favorite futbol team, Manchester United. He did this because he knows my son loves Man U. Here’s us waiting for him at the shuttle terminal in Van Nuys, CA. I put a nametag on so he would recognize me:

As folks got off the bus, we watched through the windows. “Is that him? Is that him? Is that him?” Then my son noticed the dude in the Manchester jersey and said, “That’s him. Cool.” Really great moment.

Here’s the gang playing Core Worlds:

I was not invited to play this game because it’s NFD (Not For Dingus). But I was invited to play something called DC Deck-Building Game. Great title, DC! I was allowed to play this because I like Marvel, I guess.

The best game we played was The Voyages of Marco Polo, but I forgot to get a picture of that. Chris was all, “I’m not really aboot board games so I don’t know what to do.” And then he ended up totally beating me at one of my favorite games.

We also went on a really long walk with my dog, Honey, and talked about a variety of things, including movies and marijuana laws and…movies. Also movies.

All in all it was a great experience to have him here and to find out that folks from Canada are really pretty nice, in contradiction to the stereotype of them being loud and obnoxious and generally truculent.

Here’s a bonus image. A shot of the hotel where Chris stayed while he was in town:

-xtien

Haha, that was great. ;)

That was awesome. I wish I could have been there as well.

Very cool, I’m envious!

Huh, so that’s what dingus looks like.

Awesome. I love seeing stuff like that. I got to game with Tom & Dingus many years ago and loved it as well. Hoping I can do it again sometime if I ever have a reason to go out to LA.

I didn’t realize we had LA Meetups. Just moved back to LA from Nigeria. Still getting used to being able to eat everything I want.

That looks like a great time!

After I saw that @jpinard ended up back in the hospital with another bout of pneumonia, I thought I’d drop by for a visit. Thus you see us in the upper reaches of the hospital in downtown Grand Rapids:

Good practice to avoid excess germs when visiting pneumonia patients, that’s all the mask means. And hey, y’all avoid seeing my ugly mug, bonus!

I took the liberty of bringing a little cheer-up gift from all of us at QT3:

Seemed appropriate messages from all the childish young-at-heart weirdos around here. :)

Keep up the good spirits, Jeff! Hope you’re back to frog boppin’ shortly!

I like this post. ❤️

That’s a bummer Jeff, I hope your cool Colorado trip didn’t knock you down. Regardless, you’re in the hospital, so get well soon.

You’re good people Skip, and I think those are perfect choices.

Get better Jeff!

Thank you for doing that, and for the pictures.

What @CraigM just said. Thank you.

One of the songs my son and I listen to on a CD mix I made for him a few years ago is “Cherry Tree” by 10,000 Maniacs. Because of an earlier post of yours in this thread, I now think of you whenever it comes around. It’s one of our favorite songs to sing.

Thinking of you @jpinard. Hang in there. There’s a lot of love for you here.

-xtien

“And when I pick myself up so slowly,
I’ll devour
Everyone of those books in the Tower
Of Knowledge”

Wow, I’d forgotten all about that song.

Thank you for implying us.
And get well, Jeff!