Qt3 Luddite: Reasons NOT to get an iPhone

Got any thoughts on the iphone?

Cuz you’re all OT with the Real Estate stuff. (Subprime is fucked! Kewl, says Sammy Shadenfreude!)
(Also, improvisation isn’t something you’re good at, word association, imagination… that kind of stuff?)

Holy fuck, will you two just get a room? Call the rest of us when you’ve cleaned the lube off the walls and put out the smoldering furniture.

I’m not getting an iPhone because I don’t have 500 fucking dollars to spend on a fucking phone. My last phone I got for $50 (albeit with a bone-me service contract, but all phones have those, including Jobs’s Jesus phone). And while the other shit the iPhone has is cool, I spend 90% of my life sitting in front of computers that do all that shit and much, much more, for free. So $500 to give me maybe 10 minutes of geek spoogery per day is totally not worth it.

Why exactly do threads like this exist? Why do people feel the need to brag about the fact that they’re NOT buying an iPhone? Look, if you like the iPhone and can afford it and feel like you’re going to get value out of owning one, then get one. If you don’t, then don’t. No-one here is going to succeed in making anyone else feel like an idiot for having bought/not bought one, so what’s the point?

Jose?

I got distracted by the hot chet-on-Midnight Son action, so I’m not certain if anyone has pointed this out, but: You don’t have to give them your Social Security number.

Put in 999-99-9999 as your SSN, fail the credit check, and they’ll offer you a prepaid plan. This is more expensive than the usual plans, however, so it’s not a particularly good idea unless you really don’t want to give them a SSN.

Hey, get your own material!
The podiums was brought up a page ago, now we’re waiting for the iPhone bubble to burst (the housing bubble has let us down by not bursting yet) so Midnight can get his schadenfreuden on.

Good morning, morons and fucked buyers! Where were we? Ah yes, people spending too much for electronic gadgets. Who wants to start? Ok, I will. I think it’s dumb. That’s my opinion. Good luck trying to prove my opinion is incorrect, because, it is after all… my opinion!

Needs more cowbell.

It also bypasses the 2 year contract, though, doesn’t it?

I’ve never agreed with Midnight Son about anything before today, but I do agree about the SSN. I too object to being forced to use it as a de-facto national identification number. Maybe the reasons for having a national ID code are good enough to outweigh the privacy concerns, but if so they should be publicly enumerated and the SSN’s wide-ranging uses be made explicit, instead of this half-assed backdoor implementation of a national ID card & code.

Fixed that for you.

Moral: if y’all can rap about why you DID get one, the rest of us can darn sure rap about why we DIDN’T.

Damn straight, fo shizzle!

This thread is awesome.

Y’know, they say that sociopaths make the best salesmen.

Well, FWIW, my father agrees with you: he dislikes having to give your SSN to anybody and everybody just to sign up for service X, largely because it’s so easy for someone to abuse your SSN.

Plus he doesn’t like multi-function phones either: just give him something which dials and lets him talk to people.

So in both regards, you think just like a 70-year-old Luddite. Ummm, congrats?

why do i picture Midnight Son looking like this on his cell phone

I was going to say that this thread has gone downhill badly but then I remembered it was shit to begin with.

Shit does flow downhill, you know.

And yet you’re drawn back in… like a fly to shit.

And why is it shit? You’re not regretting some expensive purchase, by chance?