Qt3 Movie Podcast: best of 2017

I don’t really have a problem with Sufjan, but I groaned when I saw the title card, and then I didn’t like the way the songs were used in the movie. Illinoise didn’t do it for me and I don’t know anything else about the guy. I blame Luca ultimately.

Hey, I’m working on a script for a movie called Let Me Rent Your Name. Cause currently the only way to see Your Name in the US is to buy the disc. Or break the law. And I don’t even remember how anymore.

Okay, I thought I was pretty succinct but here’s another pristine example of a continuity error for you cineaste n00bs: in Spartacus, there’s a shot of Peter Ustinov wearing a Rolex on his wrist. But he’s not wearing it later and neither are any of the crucified people at the end. Sadly, the CG tech of the time didn’t allow them to add watches to all the wrists yet. Also, it might’ve been a Roledex.

Hope this is helpful!

To my astonishment, a Google image search suggests nobody has actually mocked up a Rolodex “watch”. At least not one with index cards going around your wrist.

Great podcast, guys, and a great year listening to you. This year I listened to more of your movie podcasts than in any previous, and I can’t thank you enough for all the great commentary (and recommendations). Here’s to 2018!

That is beautiful.

My goodness, Free Fire got a free ride here! IMO it was boring as hell. Like a XCOM game where everyone is cowering behind cover and then occasionally do over the top things. (Exactly like a XCOM game then). Sharlto Copley’s crazy South African act is also getting tiring.

Didn’t see enough new releases in 2017, but the best IMO is Spider-man: Homecoming. What a sunny and funny movie.

We must have watched different movies. Free Fire was one of the most exciting movies I saw last year. And funny too.

Yeah Free Fire was definitely not boring. A little irreverent, perhaps, but it seemed to fit the boozy druggy 70s vibe of the movie in general.

Hey I like XCOM in general, but to pepper a movie with dudes and a chick I don’t really care hiding behind cover is not the way to make an XCOM movie. The movie so wants you to think they are a cool bunch but they are all meh to me.

Huh? The movie shows you that the characters think they are a cool bunch, which is why the different ways they fall apart are so compelling. I hardly think the movie wants us to think they are a cool bunch.

It’s like what Joe says in Reservoir Dogs: “You get four guys all fighting over who’s gonna be Mr. Black, but they don’t know each other, so nobody wants to back down.”

-xtien

“I’m I.I.F.M.”

I was nodding along until the last word. “Compelling”??? You mean “pathetic”, right? And Reservoir Dogs is the right comparison, because the movie tries so so hard to capture that vibe but ends up being derivative. And boring. The whodunnit is so transparent (of course it is Brie Larson, just like Mr. Orange is the cop!) it feels boring and derivative.

PS: added spoiler tag.

Thanks for the spoiler.

Hey sorry for spoiling Reservoir Dogs for you.

I guess I have to go back and listen to the Guardians 2 podcast to figure out what @ChristienMurawski is so wrong about!

I’ve really enjoyed listening and reading everyone’s picks. It’s cool to see where the similarities and differences are.

There was a prop comic back in the late '80s/early '90s who did exactly this (no, it wasn’t Carrot Top). I think I saw him on MTV’s Half-Hour Comedy Hour, but it might have been one of the other eleventy kajillion stand-up shows on TV in that era.

I have a spreadsheet that I maintain through the year where I keep track of what I’ve seen as well. I love knowing somebody else out there does that!

-xtien

I started using this website for that this year:

www.letterboxd.com

It’s great!

I keep movie and game lists on my phone using the Reminders app because then at the end of the year you can hit edit and slide them around for making top ten lists. This year the game list was way longer than the movie list so I probably won’t get around to listening to this podcast for a while :(

Did anyone mention the overlap between lists, that is, the only “best of 2017” movies that were on all three lists?

1. Lady Bird (fuck yes, I fourth this by the way, possibly one of the best movies I’ve seen in the last decade, not just 2017)
  2. Atomic Blonde
  3. Blade Runner 2049

That’s it. The list of those movies appearing in 2 out of 3 in common is larger, of course.