Random thought thread!

All in the Family was so topical the humor doesn’t work anymore. Most of those others too, to some extent. I never really liked Harry Anderson on Night Court, so while it was fun to catch I never went out of my way. The Golden Girls had a lot of great lines, but now it comes across as four women being crabby at one another now. Enough with the negativity!

OTOH, shows like I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and even The Andy Griffith Show are much more watchable. I don’t go out of my way to see them, but if I watch one they aren’t that hard to watch. Some are still hilarious.

Friends and Seinfeld still seem to work. Topical comedy ages but comedy about people interacting they way humans have interacted for decades or even longer seems to have a longer expiration date.

Nobody watched Night Court for Harry, it was all about John Larroquette. I loved watching that show even as a kid. But maybe you’re right, doesn’t hold up so well.

I don’t care. If one crawls into bed with me one night, I might actually torch this entire fucking building. I try to co-exist with animals/nature as much as possible, but I’m sorry. These are alien invaders and I’m desperately searching for the “nuke them from orbit” button. :(

Thnking back on my gaming history, I remember that little thrill I felt when I discovered that the town Skara Brae existed in both the Ultima and Bard’s Tale games. Like I had uncovered a secret, pierced some veil, and the two games were linked and I just needed to work out how. But no, they both took the name from an actual prehistoric settlement in what is now Scotland. Reality, you’ve let me down again.

I am an old, cynical angry dude. But, as some of you may know, I love birds. So my cynical and bird lover sides clashed over the following commercial:

O RLY?

That’s cheating! She never wore that on the show.

That’s right. It’s about what she didn’t wear.

Strictly speaking she did wear that on the show. It’s just that she wore a lot more at the same time.

Had to reschedule a flight today because the hour layover was completely gobbled up by the first flight experiencing an over hour delay. My flight moves to another day entirely, and the whole time me, this rep and her supervisor are all shopping around for any flight, any flight that will actually get me to where I was supposed to go on the day I booked it months ago I kept thinking… this is nut. There is so little consideration in this area that it takes three people, and three computers to confirm that yes, an early middle seat flight is the best they can do.

It’s no wonder this industry is so hated.

I was pretty proud of myself though, over an hour call and the only really snide comment I made is when she said Seattle was definitely not a good airport to sleep in. I kind of said none of them really are. No one wants to sleep in an airport.

Flight rescheduling due to earlier segment delays really suck. One time when I was flying home from Paris (I know - Poor Me!), a delay at Charles de Gaulle caused me to miss my connecting flight in New York. It took me close to three hours to find an alternative flight since it was the weekend and late at night and there was nobody with authority at the gate to make anything happen for me. I asked them to just let me go to the VIP lounge while they sorted things out and they acted like I was asking for a blow job from each of them. I ended up hanging out in the airport for another four hours with nothing open. Totally sucked. Work travel sucks in general, even if it is to somewhere desirable, because you rarely have time to appreciate the place you are travelling to.

I’ve slept in the Las Vegas airport before. It seems to be the only place in the city that actually closes at night. They’re well just get you to Seattle and see what happens suggestion wasn’t going to happen. That was the last flight for them to get where i needed to go. I am glad i got booked tomorrow because they delayed that flight again. Their app keeps sending me updates on flights I am not even on. .

You would just think by now the airlines would have more robust software to help reroute folks on those connecting flights they already know theyr’e going to miss… but no, you have to call them, tell them you are not going to make that flight and then people are manually trying to come up with new options. but hey at least they’ve put in all those resources to see how many more seats they cram onto those planes and then wonder why people packed like sardines have so little patience with each other.

Yes it does.

So Peter Sellers was also supposed to portray Major Kong in Strangelove. The reason he didn’t has always been that he just couldn’t do the Texas accent. But just today I was on the iOS Kubrick app and it shows a couple of typed memos that say that, shortly after wrapping up shooting as Dr. Strangelove, he broke his ankle. After trying to film he found the pain to be too much to bear.

Was the broken ankle thing a ruse to save face for Sellers?

As well Columbia Pictures insisted that Sellers play 4 characters if they were to fund the film.

I just wanted to share this article I found on the Onion’s A.V. Club site just because it brought me much joy:

I will toss in a couple quotes I loved in particular:

"… this pregnant great white shark, who, on her daily travels, happened upon the corpse of a humpback whale, and thought to herself, “I am going to try to eat this whole goddamn whale.”

The conservationist filming the whole thing noted, “She ate so much she was swimming around upside down aimlessly like she was intoxicated.”

There was a short article in the newspaper here Sunday about how a pod of killer whales has settled in Monterey Bay and are eating Gray Whale calves. Three in the last week.

This is apparently a very unusual situation. It isn’t strange for them to be there but it is unusual for them to remain.

I didn’t really know where this should go, but I thought it was a funny story worth sharing: Vancouver sandwich shop puts out a sign that Liam Neeson could eat there for free, and Liam Neeson shows up.

And what the heck, here’s another random factoid - maybe you, like me, have heard and used the term “by and large” without really giving it much thought. I’m an amateur sailor and interested in all things nautical, but did not realize the phrase had maritime origins.

In nautical terms, the words “by” and “large” have opposite meanings. To sail large means that you have the wind at your back, and can make full sail (I.e., the largest sails) with little concern. Conversely, to sail by the wind means to basically sail into the wind. Obviously you can’t sail directly into the wind, but you can sail at very close angles - essentially within 45 degrees of the wind. Think of a Pac Man, with the wind coming directly into its mouth. That pie-shaped gap would be the dead zone - your ship could be angled right up to it and still make forward progress. Why? Because a ship’s sail works very much like an airplane’s wing, and as it fills the air moving across its outer surface has a longer path to travel than the wind behind, creating forward force.

So a ship that sails “by and large” can handle either option just as well. So the phrase has come to mean an entirety, or all things considered as a whole. Class dismissed!

God damn Florida. Was about to leave work and now it’s pouring like crazy out there. Months of drought and now here comes rainy season, time to be wet all the time.

Well at least the lovebug plague will be smaller this year due to the drought.