Random thought thread!

Hey dudes, here’s that mashup of Mardi Gras and Star Wars you always wanted! Shut up, yes you did!

I’m quite the opposite—I have an interest in all things nautical, and knew the nautical origins thanks to Ian Toll’s introduction to Six Frigates, but I was not aware of the exact derivation. Thanks! Now I know.

Ever since I started reading the Aubrey/Maturin books I also have an interest in all things nautical. Thanks Pogue Dive dude.

I too am a huge fan of those books. May be time for a re-read.

Always. Every time I reread them I notice more things. The first book was my favorite. When they first became friends. Great work.

If you are interested you might read the books that are based upon them by David Drake.

Igniting the Reaches
Through the Breach
Fireships

And then read all of his Northworld Trilogy.

Name rings a bell, but I’m not sure that I’ve read any of his stuff. I’ll check him out.

A Dinner Haiku

Mouth is a burning, yeah
Stomach is churning a bit
Pizza and hot sauce

I will be forever annoyed that “pet” is used for two different things in the context of animal companions. I’ve done zero research on the history of the word, but I would imagine the noun version came second to the verb version. Either way someone was being really lazy. Way to go, English.

I know someone who specifically studies pets in history in an academic setting, they will check for you this afternoon!

Short version:

n., meaning lamb or other domestic animal reared by hand, 1539.

n., meaning an animal kept for pleasure or companionship, 1710.

v., meaning to make a pet of, to stroke, 1629.

It is impossible to watch Heat on network TV. Every other word is silence.

Where’d those little hearts go at the bottom of posts? They were cool.

Are we human, or are we dancer? (My phone autocorrected the last word to cancer, discuss)

I’m sitting in the Geneva airport because United can’t ever be arsed to have their flights depart on time. I half expect somebody to come drag me out of here and punch me in the mouth.

Isn’t that part of the standard boarding procedure for all major US airlines now?

Hey, you just better hope they assign you one of the non-scorpion-launching seats.

Anyone else lose Qt3 for a bit around 5:15?

More like 4:10 for me. Are you a time traveler?