Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

FWIW, I didn’t read your post very closely, so I wasn’t spoiled. But I have no clue what you guys are talking about either, so I don’t think I’ve heard about whatever event it is you’re talking about.

It’s readily available but it’s not one of those things that’s really spoiled. I mean most the gaming news sites, assuming someone even pays attention to those at all, will tell you spoilers are coming. It’s not too difficult to avoid spoilers for this game even if it’s easy to find them. It’s not like GoT.

Agreed. With Infinity Wars and Game of Thrones it’s like the spoilers are being thrown at you in headlines. That’s not the case with Read Dead Redemption 2, where I’ve avoided anything with a spoiler warning.

Yeah Marvel is really bad. I will have to avoid Social Media most of Thursday I bet, until i get to see it. Game of Thrones… even if you can avoid them, and let’s say the East Coasters aren’t spreading info all over it some idiot friend will. Those two have a huge, huge following. It’s everywhere and… people want to spoil it for others.

As from the MP mess, it doesn’t seem like RDR2 players want to spoil the story for others, at least not a large number of them.

Having said that, QT3 is pretty good with spoiler stuff. I am confident no one purposefully tries to spoil, just an oversight or sometimes a post in the wrong topic.

Returning to this to finish up chapter 6.

Blurred this stuff incase others haven’t finished the side missions in this chapter. Click at your own peril.

Hamish Sinclair best fishing mission EVER.
Dutch was totally pissed I saved John from Prision, now half the camp seems pissed and I made the area wanted DOA. But I didn’t see any alternative than to shoot my way up to the prison gate.
Damn totally thought Arthur would kill Strauss, interesting to see if he turns up later now that he is kicked out of camp.
Read a note from Penelope Braithwaite about needing help, I’ll head there before doing any more main missions.
Visited the lady up in the cabin in the woods, Charlotte Balfour the one who you help kill a rabbit with, had some food and freaking collapsed there. I have a horrible gut feeling Arthur doesn’t have much longer. :(

Division 2 and Anno 1800 distracted me a bit, but I am again hooked with this and think I will wrap it up before the month ends.

I read the article and agreed with a lot of it (skimmed a lot of it too). I finally finished the game about 2 weeks ago despite buying it on release day (and taking the day off from work).

The game’s strengths are also its weaknesses. There’s a lot of white space, but it also makes everything a chore. Traveling between missions is a 5 or more minute ride, constantly tapping the button. Unnecessary animations all in the service of “realism”. It’s not that hard of a game, so early on I gave up on the challenges because they were unenjoyable unnecessary tedium. Eventually I started dreading the experience but I wanted to see the ending. So I just played an hour at a time, just doing missions.

The effect was to deprive the (first) ending of its emotional impact, especially compared to the fantastic ending of the original.

And then the icing on the cake was that long ass epilogue that only brought us back to… Red dead redemption!

And what the fuck was up with guarma?

I loved the game to pieces, but I agree that Guarma could have been axed from it with no downside, and most of the crafting should have been less fiddly to save time.

Yeah, I LOVED RDR2, even agreeing with many of the technical issues the article brings up, but I was really disappointed in Guarma. At least it wasn’t the “Mexico” of RDR1, but it still felt like a wasted opportunity.

I do agree - why do I need to brew my coffee, pour it, then drink it? And other such overly long animations. But fwiw, I just took that as part of the pace of my game. I always brewed up and drank a cup of coffee when I first woke up in the morning, and the slow pace of that felt like I feel in the morning (slow, LOL!) It was a slow paced, relaxed moment in what was sure to be a day filled with potential dangers. In terms of the controls, again, I agree they were poorly laid out and inconsistent, but by midway through the game I wasn’t thinking about the controls, I was completely immersed in the countryside around me and exploration. Also, as I’m sure others have pointed out, you can NOT skip the key “side mission” that sets the path for your later game that he spends a lot of time complaining about being completely miss-able.

Comedy gold.

YouTube popped up this video as a recommendation, it’s a pretty cool interview with the actors who played Arthur and Dutch at a con:

“Game Addiction”

I feel so guilty about this game. My son bought it for me for my birthday. I really want to enjoy it. It’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve seen, with moments that are absolutely wonderful.

And it is so…fucking…boring. I find this article (https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/22/18298277/red-dead-redemption-2-review-rdr2-story-design-criticism) hilarious, because it manages to convey how boring Red Dead Redemption 2 is, while doing the exact same thing that contributes to Red Dead Redemption 2 being so boring (burying the point in the article inside about five billion meandering, masturbatory words trying to show how smart he is).

I hate games like this, where the game cost a lot of money to buy (in this case, a loved one), and the game has some redeeming factors, but is fundamentally fairly unfun. So many things are just buried behind pointless complexity. Crafting is a fucking nightmare. You want to catch legendary fish? Oh, you need to run across some random dude on the map somewhere who then lets you buy special lures, even though this is pointed out nowhere. Want to do a mission? Have fun riding for five minutes, the thousandth time, through a country-side that was beautiful but has now just grown into a similarly irritating version of your morning commute to work.

Gah!

You are not alone SlyFrog. I’m glad we seem to be in the minority and there are a lot of people who love the game, considering all work that went into it.

Yep, I don’t know that to tell you guys. I’ll agree that the crafting is tedious. In general re: crafting I wish games would just give you the option to skip it and just buy everything at a vendor.

But regarding the general gameplay, if you’re not into what is essentially an outlaw cowboy simulator with great voice acting and a good story, then I’m left to wonder why you ever wanted to play the game. The pace of life in those times was just different, and this game gives us a taste of that (only a taste).

I knew RDR2 was going to be a “take your time, stop and smell the roses” type of game from playing the first one, so I allotted a couple months to play and complete it. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it, including the traveling, but I can see how someone who isn’t in the proper mindset (or not a fan of Westerns) might find it boring.

Crafting is generally tedious in every game that has it so I always do as little of it as possible.

RDR2 for me was the opposite of boring though. I love games that teleport me to new places and RDR2, Witcher 3, Prey, Dishonored 2, Kingdom Come do better job of this fabled “immersion” than anything else this generation. I enjoyed every second of RDR2 and in fact can’t wait for PC version so I can go back.

I’m into the setting, the theme, etc. That’s missing the point. I’m just not as into games that 40 hours in make me basically set down my controller and watch the screen as my guy travels through the countryside for five minutes to do a one minute quest, most of which involves video of people talking.

For me, I knew this game was a gamble. I thought the first RDR was OK, but I didn’t come close to finishing it. I also agree with you about the story and voice acting. It’s a game I want to like because of those things, and maybe why I’ve been dragging my feet to sell it back to Amazon. I guess I’m too impatient regarding the game play. I don’t like all the horseback riding. I find things like hunting and fishing boring. I don’t like how the shooting feels. Gosh I hated the mission of finding the guys in the corn fields. It just seems like the game does everything to try my patience.

I do mean this…that I am very happy a lot of people love the game. In fact I’m a bit jealous because I want to too. I’m not mad or upset the game is how it is. I don’t feel cheated. I just wish I loved it too.

Just play for the story and the fishing. I have to be near 100 hrs with this on my PS4.

There were times when I really wanted the game to have a better/more convenient fast travel system like the first one had. On the other hand, I played this game over at minimum two months just to complete the main plot plus epilogues, and I liked the horseback riding because the world was so much more fleshed out than that of RDR1, so there was always something to see and discover along the way. Also I loved the hunting/fishing/herb and plant gathering. It didn’t hurt that I played this mainly in December and January and wasn’t trying to get to the next hot game. It spoke to me particularly because my late dad grew up on a small farm/ranch with horses and all that, and I bucked hay bales myself in my late teens/early twenties.