Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

I’m afraid to look at whatever that is. It would be sooooo easy for me to boot up Red Dead 2 and play absolutely nothing else for two or three weeks.

-Tom

EDIT: Wait, wait, WTF, that looks like single-player content!

That’s the kind of update I’ve been waiting for. It’s been awhile since I’ve done more than poke my nose in and this actually has me a bit excited. Hit me up if any of you feel like hanging out with some super friendly, diverse, and experienced players. We can help you level quickly and painlessly and steer you to the fun.

Have they added the ability to play a private instance in RDO? I’m assuming not, but I’d enjoy the game so much more if some random jerk didn’t shoot me dead while I’m galloping off to do something interesting.

Not officially, but when I joined a buddy’s session a month or so ago, everyone was in some sort of unofficial private lobby. The glitch may have been patched by now, not sure. Made me wonder if it was an indication of some planned feature that people were exploiting.

But griefing is nothing like it used to be, thanks to the massive changes they made a few months back. Not only is it much harder to fuck with someone who isn’t looking for trouble, it’s trivial to press a button and make the conflict go away instantly, so random harassment is pretty much a thing of the past, now.

If that’s true, I ought to consider going back. I mean… I just want to explore the world and do missions with friends. It seems like they will never truly offer that.

Definitely give it a try. Missions are always going to be theoretically vulnerable to non-posse player disruption, but most of the time people leave you alone and even when they don’t, that’s part of the fun and doesn’t feel toxic, IMO, it’s just like if a bunch of NPCs rolled up and tried to mess things up. And most missions, in my experience, are designed to be easier for those completing them than for those trying to sabotage them. Especially if you bring friends along.

I got sidetracked at the beginning of the year with Game Pass games and uninstalled this to make room on the hard drive. I was trying to remember what was even happening in the story where I left. Thankfully, I had this post.

Ah yes. I remember now! I need to remind myself to re-install this later in the year. I really do want to return to this world and see out Arthur’s story. I even want to then play the original Red Dead Redemption again, and see that maybe my memory of hating the Mexico portion of that game was overly harsh. (I hope).

No, I recall also disliking Mexico in RDR1.

I reckon I might have to start a new of this. Ahhh, you’re all right gurl.

So this new stuff announced is still for Red Dead Online, correct? You have to have a subscription to Xbox Live or PS Plus, in other words, even if you somehow can wall your game instance off from others?

Correct.

Looks like PS players without PS Plus can play online through Sept. 18. They also get access to the butcher table (unlocks Trader role), weapons locker, Trader camp theme, camp dog, and some other stuff.

Starting an online session now. I’m gonna try out bounty hunting in Rhodes and see how this goes.

Join up if you’d like, ELGUAPODC on Xbox Live.

Edit: Hmm. Lots of disconnects for me. Seems to disconnect a few minutes. Maybe they need time to iron this out.

Awesome, hope you like it. Definitely pick up the Outlaw Pass if you decide to stick with it. Exponentially increases leveling and rewards, and pays for itself fairly quickly. Honestly, no reason not to pick it up if you plan to keep playing.

Bounty Hunter isn’t my favorite role so far, contrary to my expectations, but it can be fun. Haven’t experienced player bounty hunting yet, though, and I haven’t yet unlocked the wagon. I’ll be doing more bounties soon, when I level the other roles more.

Trader is my favorite group activity so far, super, super satisfying and rewarding. A group of people hunting and running supply/trade missions together is the cat’s pajamas. And the new hunting wagon is very useful. Collector is great solo.

Look up Fitz_Wanderer on PSN, if anyone wants to posse up some time.

Disconnects happen regularly but not consistently. I can go a week without any and then suddenly start getting a bunch of them, and resetting my router seems to help in those situations.

Okay, bounty hunting is actually pretty challenging and fun. Hoping to score my first player bounty tonight. Players have to rack up a $20 bounty, which requires a fair amount of shenanigans, to get their poster on the Wanted board.

Can you have multiple characters for the online game? I’m not sure I want to be just one role all the time.

The roles can be pursued concurrently, so no need for multiple characters. Only limitation is you can’t hunt a bounty while on a trade mission, or start a trade mission while hunting a bounty (although you can still hunt and turn animals into Crips for production). You can also hunt collectibles and do random encounter quests while trading or bounty hunting.

But if you want to have multiple characters anyway, you just set up additional profiles, which is what I did at one point when I hit a high level.

Just so I understand this correctly, choosing to become a bounty hunter, collector, or trader costs 15 gold bars?

Pretty much, but you can unlock Trader on PS4 for free, Collector with ~50 or so GTAO playing cards, and Bounty Hunter with an Amazon Prime account. Edit: whoops, looks like the twitch offer expired, even though twitch still lists the BH permit as a reward for linking.

Rockstar also gives away free gold like crazy if you’re playing on a semi-regular basis, and there are lots of ways to earn it fairly quickly. Or just buy 25 gold bars for $4.99.