Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Yeah, it’s probably a bug. But maybe …

I’ve gotten this game to a set state I’m going to leave it in. I call it “Everything Is Beautiful, And Nothing Hurts”. Spoilers below.

The gang is at Horeshoe overlook. The gang is all together, Sean is rescued, we had our party. The key mission to really open things up is the story mission “Fisher Of Men” which is when you take little Jack fishing. This mission unlocks after both “Pouring Forth Oil” and the imfamous night out with Lenny. Once you have done this you can fish, hunt, and get the Legendary Fish map (you already have animals). The whole map is open, there are tons of stranger missions and sidequests open, like bounty hunting and all the find missions and challenges. You can gamble, take in a show, hunt, get in gunfights…

And as a bonus, Micah is in jail forever! Don’t go spring Micah, let him rot. Don’t collect that last fateful debt.

Now Arthur can live in peace and happiness, hunting and fishing and cowboying, never having gotten sick and with the camp and gang family happy and content.

I’ll stop with the story here, and pretend the bad times never happened. No regrets.

Well, there goes another month of gaming. And will be the second platform I have the game on.

Here’s the surprising thing: the Steam version won’t be available until December.

So Nov. 5th for Rockstar’s Launcher, Epic Games Store, Green Man Gaming and the Humble Store but December for Steam.

The only thing surprising about that these days is that Steam doesn’t have to wait a year, but just a month. Hopefully I can hold out long enough.

Month is fine, I prefer Steam for its functionality so I can wait…particularly since I will probably not do a replay straight away, I want to forget more of the story before doing that. The MIB style memory eraser would be handy.
In any way great news, hopefully the PC version will feature some sweet raytracing as well as good general optimization.

GMG and Humble will almost certainly be selling keys for the Rockstar launcher. So really it’s just launching on Rockstar and Epic in November.

I don’t know why they’re delaying Steam at all. Surely Epic didn’t pay them for a single month of exclusivity, and R* games don’t run the Unreal engine. If it’s just the store cut, their own launcher takes a cut of 0.000%.

Frankly it’s surprising it took them so long to launch on PC. This isn’t about box sales, it’s about their online game. GTA5 Online prints money.

They know idiots like me will double dip. If it had come out on all platforms at the same time I would have just gotten it on the PC and been done with it. Jerks.

They are sweetening the pot of you get it from Rockstar launcher: (via ARS)

Rockstar is using the marquee release as a promotion for its new proprietary PC game launcher. Pre-orders on that platform—which will begin on October 9—come with a free upgrade to the Premium Edition, including a number of story-mode DLC bonuses and 50 Gold Bars for use in the Red Dead Online mode. Those pre-orderers will also receive two free legacy Rockstar titles from the following selection:

• Grand Theft Auto III
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition
  • L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
  • Max Payne 3: The Complete Edition

For PC players who don’t want to use Rockstar’s launcher, the game will also be available via the Epic Games Store, Green Man Gaming, the Humble Store, and GameStop on November 5. Pre-orders on those platforms, starting October 23, will include 25 Gold Bars for Red Dead Online.

I will double dip on the PC version, but it will be on Steam. :P

Rejoice!

I’d also give em another $60 to have the original as DLC to play right after the epilogue.

Cool. Been wanting to try this but don’t have a console.

I hope this comes to PC at some point.

You PC players are in for a treat. It’s a superb game.

Surely? Surely that seems like the only sensible reason why they would do that.

Nah. Not with the bonus stuff R* is offering to order directly. Epic wouldn’t allow that.

RTX on the PC version , 4k @60+fps, don’t worry it doesn’t look that good, no need to double dip, nope. NOPE. Dammit.

God damn that looks slick. Though the console version is no slouch, visually.

This game, by the way, is a great game for kids to watch if you stick to hunting/fishing and away from robbing passerbys and story missions. My 2 year old loves to sit on my lap with his little red cowboy hat on and make the horsey go. To him it’s the horsey game.

I found him and the 5 year old playing “bear attack” in the playroom, the 2 year old was the cowboy and the 5 year old was the bear. The bear attacked him on his horsey (a stick horse), he shot the bear with his popgun, and then he got down and skinned the bear (took his shirt off). Then the 5 year old put on a coonskin cap and became the trapper that the cowboy sold his bearskin to at the “booth” (cardboard box). Then the littlest cowboy got down in the “cooking” animation pose and cooked, I guess, the bear meat.

So yeah! It’s a cowboy game, fit for all ages! Just stay out of conflict and go fishing and hunting.

I wonder how moddable the PC version is going to be. How’s GTA V on that score (for single player of course)?

I can’t say how thrilled I am that the console release came first, so that I could get in and enjoy the game and the discussion and then get out before the endless PC config and hardware tweaks discussions started up. Knock yourselves out, dudes!