Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

This is me as well - haven’t used anything but built-in Defender for such a long time, and I don’t miss any of that junk anti-virus at all.

I don’t know if that’s quite the right phrase, really. There are some really fun moments as well. It’s like any good story - it has elements of comedy and drama.

Yeah I really don’t find the story to be a huge downer. But I could see how someone might.

Had to create exceptions in AVG for all of the Rockstar and RDR2 directories to get it to even run. It looks good, and the action is fluid enough, but the game freezes for a few seconds every twenty seconds or so. Stops, then starts up again. No stuttering or lack of framerate during actual play, but it just keeps stopping like that, as if it’s caching or something. 1070ti, latest GeForce drivers. My CPU admittedly is kind of old, an i5 3570K, though. I’ve fiddled a bit with the graphics settings, but nothing seems to help much.

All the new game engines benefit from CPUs with more than 4 cores newer than 2013. I noticed a huge frame rate bump with same GPU (1080ti) in AC Odyssey when I went from i5-4760 to Ryzen 7 2700.

I totally uninstalled my antivirus, latest Nvidia drivers, updated launcher, rebooted several times, verified game, uninstalled/reinstalled game. It will simply not launch. “The Rockstar Game Launcher exited unexpectedly”. What a drag. Should have bought from Epic…

EDIT: Of all things, a BIOS update fixed it. Saw someone else had success on a Reddit thread. My BIOS was only 6 weeks old, but a newer release came out 2 days ago. Asus Prime X570-Pro. Sheesh.

I know I know, this game is “slow”. But man do I want to quit right now at the beginning of Chapter 2. The world has opened up and there are all these mission icons, but boy do I not give a flying eff where it is going. Maybe because western isn’t my kind of thing? Or no character is really interesting at this point, least of all Arthur? Keyboard+mouse control on PC is so counter-intuitive, so many different keys for so many different things, I feel like it would be more streamlined if I use a gamepad. Which would defeat a lot of reasons for playing it on PC. This is a console port all right.

Production value is sky high, sure. The game never crashed, no stuttering or anything, it just works, I guess I’m lucky that way. But I feel like it is good money wasted.

STICK WITH IT, the game has quite a few amazing memorable characters (good and bad) by the end.

What did you think this game would be?

Ok will try. Witcher 3 was a bit slow to start as well but git gud in the end.

er… it would be good not boring?

It honestly sounds like you should have done a little home work which could have saved you some disappointment. It’s checking all the wrong boxes for you, before you even really dive in. It’s not like the game tricked you by suddenly being a Western (which isn’t really your thing). And why on earth are you trying to play this with a mouse and keyboard? I love me some M&K but some games are just not good with them, and this is for sure one of them.

EDIT: I also would strongly advise against playing The Witcher 3 w/M&K for the same reasons. Third person action games seem to lend themselves to better experiences with controllers.

It is on effing PC, of course I play with k+m by default!

Are not most people playing RDR2 with M/KB on PC?

That is what most are using… right? I mean that’s what I am expecting if my group jumps on this.

These are totally fair observations, Soma. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a laconic arthouse Western focused mostly on white male mid-life crises, almost as an analog to the US entering the 20th century. There’s plenty of gunplay and horseriding and open-world adventure to be had eventually, but it starts slow and, as you might be sensing, the emotional core of the story is pretty specific and won’t mean much to a lot of people.

That said, the game doesn’t really reveal itself until a bit further than where you are. No one would think less of you for bailing at this point to play something you actually like, but Rockstar plays it pretty close to the vest until about the 10 hour mark or so. It’s almost like a JRPG in that regard.

-Tom

I played the bejesus out of The witcher 3 (AND 1+2) with mouse and keyboard justfinethankyouverymuch. I’ll be all redemptioning when it’s out over steam in time for christmas break.

All I can suggest is you guys at least try it with a controller, it really plays and feels a lot better. Aiming isn’t nearly as important in a game like this as in a competitive shooter, which is the only real advantage to mouse aiming - and you can also snap to your targets optionally, if you want that to not be an issue (controller) aiming.

Why would you need to snap to a target with a mouse? Just point and shoot. I understand this made for a controller, because I have it on PS4, but the mouse should be a lot better… like way better.

The mouse might be (maybe, I’m not really sure even without snapping the mouse is actually better in a game like this) but everything else will feel worse. Just my opinion, I honestly don’t care how anyone else is playing.

EDIT: And to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting having snap-to-target on with a mouse, I was saying it can be enabled with a controller to offset the drawbacks to not having your Mouse.

I’d like to say a controller would serve you better than mouse and keyboard - and it probably would - but the controls would still be a counterintuitive mess.

As the resident Red Dead Redemption 2 grinch, I will say that a lot of it is very badly designed, and extremely poorly paced. But…even if there’s an obscene time tax to pay, eventually you will care about Arthur and the end of his arc will land. (And I don’t know what the hell Tom is on about because what’s going on there is pretty universal.)