Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

I don’t know how you can look at beautiful, gorgeous game like RDR2 with awesome fishing and hunting, great exploration rewards, fun random events and then point me towards digital building blocks.

Minecraft has fishing. :)

And hunting! Kind of.

umm

If you can settle for for zebras, warthogs, and lemurs, you could build your ranch this using Planet Zoo! Heck, you could even charge other ‘cowpokes’ admission to see your ‘ranch.’

P.S., Substitute bison for cattle… They’re almost identical!

Both are majestic!

Red Dead Online has some of that! I don’t know about livestock – that really does need to be in a game about cowboys, doesn’t it? – but I am saving up enough money to buy a dog for my camp. I just have to decide if I want to splurge on a Labrador.

-Tom

This is for the online game right?

I haven’t done much online. I didn’t like the headshots from the earlier explorations, but if the PC group goes with this game we’d be doing a lot of online I am sure.

There’s a bit of base-building when the game opens up after the storyline, but, yeah, this is Red Dead Online.

From what little I’ve seen, it’s gotten so much better than it was when I tried it on the PS4. They’ve made it pretty grief-proof, as near as I can tell. And this is obviously where Rockstar is going to continue to pour their post-release support.

-Tom

Grief proof so you can actually play the game now would be a huge improvement. I also saw they added story coop missions or something which I hope we like, but man I just want a HUGE stable to put all the horses I tame in, and last i checked, you couldn’t even tame and ride (saddle them) wild horses in online.

Aww, that’s too bad. I came across some wild horses recently and considered taking a detour to try to nab one of them. I could do that in single-player, so why can’t I do that online? Actually, I’m pretty sure I know the answer to that: horses are supposed to be a money sink.

-Tom

Stealing horses and taming them was just too much fun in story game. Although I don’t know why so many rich men and women ran around on low quality horses. I looked for hours in a few towns a couple of times looking for a gem of a horse but bah… online they let you get ten horses but you have to… pay for them. Outlaws paying for hoses!? I want to steal them proper like or take them off a mountain like some sort of untamed soul.

Which one’s the real horse? I can’t tell.

Wait, let me put my glasses b–what the!!!

Yeah I always wondered why they introduce the beautiful and computationally expensive herd mechanic and don’t turn it into a side activity. They introduced that in the first one and never went anywhere with it. It would be a DREAM GAME and wonderful for all ages if they had a ranch game as @Nesrie described where you have a ranch exactly like

Super spoiler alert

xxxxxJohnXxxxxxxMarston and AbgailxxxxxormaybexxxArthurandMaryxxxinthealtendingxxxxxxxxxyoucuriousxxxxxweakwilledPCplayerxxxxxxxxx

does at the end and just go gather horses. With your son and dog? Perfect. Hunting, fishing, living off the land. Dinner at sunset, someone rings the bell.

Agreed, I think it’s in my top ten, mostly due to how much mileage I’ve gotten out of it over the past year.

As for the posse question, temporary posses are limited to four players and disappear after the posse leader logs off. Persistent posses cost a little $ and can accommodate up to seven members. If you have more than seven online friends, swapping players in and out of a permanent posse on the fly is super simple. And each posse member can own their own posse, allowing all the other members to jump in and out of each other posses as needed.

To start a posse, you open up the wheel and set up a 4 or 7 slot camp, and then invite players who are in your current lobbey. Posse members then utilize the posse leader’s camp, but retain their own gear and horses. Each member even has their own tent at that camp.

Crews are also a thing in RDO, although I have not actually participated in one yet. A crew simply acts as a large player roster and gives you an optional voice chat channel (only works with crew members who are in the same lobby at the same time). I very nearly joined the Gorilla Graves crew (has a GTAO history as the Gorilla Kings), but I bowed out as it was forming when there was a dispute of some kind between various friends who had different visions for how it should work. There is also still a Qt3 GTAO crew that could be revived and repurposed.

Sadly, I think Guap might be Xbox only, and I’m on PSN right now. Haven’t picked up the PC version yet.

Rockstar took their time, but it’s mostly grief-proof now.

I also wish wild horses could be claimed. Maybe that will become a thing as Cripps expands his business empire, not sure. But at least you can still make use of wild and stolen horses for carrying carcasses and bounties. Sort of. And there are a lot of slots in the stable now, although I only use three (Breton, Fox Trotter, and Turkoman.)

Great! Having my sister get headshot while I was logging in did not start for a good play-through last time we did it. The jaguar, I think it was a jaguar any, that knocked me off my horse and nearly killed me until she knifed it… now that was fun. Good pelt too.

This happens, but it can be mitigated if you (or the posse leader) turn on Defensive Mode immediately after spawning in. Hurting (even finding) someone who is in Defensive Mode requires a lot of effort.

Did it have spots.

Yes, sorry I’m on the Box. No PS this generation (though I had one sitting in my shopping cart when Spiderman was released).