Red Dwarf

Man, I gotta get caught up on the last few seasons.

I own the first 8 seasons on dvd, any idea where to find the more recent ones?

They’re constantly on Dave. Might be able VPN it.

The last two seasons have actually been pretty good, nearly a return to roughly season 4-6 form, if somewhat aged.

I tend to try to pretend seasons 7-10 never happened…

Is this true? I was so scarred by 7-10 that I haven’t watched any of the new stuff.

I have good memories of season 7 because that was actually the first one I watched. I never did see 8 and beyond, though.

Eight was the one where they’re basically in prison the whole time? Yeah, it wasn’t that great.

That’s kind of why I stopped. Season 7 just…wasn’t…good…

I am happy to report, yep, at least IMO! And I despised 7-10, for the most part.

They are all older now, obviously, and some aspects of the show have aged a little - or maybe I have matured… ;) The writing is not quite as snappy as it’s season 6 and earlier heyday, but it is back to it’s roots - boys from the Dwarf stuck on big red, with whatever episode conflict used mostly a vehicle to just let the characters do what they do - vocally spar with each other for 20 minutes or so.

I said it before upthread (6 years ago!) buti still say that “Queeg” is one of the best half hours of just about anything I’ve seen.

Yeah, season 7-10 sucked. I tend to think of Dwarf in generations:

Gen I - Seasons 1-2, The early years, the Lister, Rimmer, Holly and Cat Show
Gen II - Seasons 3-6 - Kryten joins the crew - the ‘Boys from the Dwarf’ heyday
Gen III - Seasons 7-10 - The Kochanski Years. The show lost its magic when they lost Red Dwarf.
Gen IV - Seasons 11-12 - The Dwarf is back! Hey, this is pretty good again!

The entire twelve seasons are on Britbox as well. You can get a free 7 day trial and binge watch all 12 seasons in one go. Totally worth it you smegheads.

What’s a Britbox?

… and if you reply “welterweight”, we’re going to have words, you and I.

Legal streaming site for a lot of old and some new British comedy and other series.

Cool, never heard of it before. And they’ve gone ton of Doctor Who, too.

I started this thread, and I had no idea that Series XI or XII were finished and available!

A few years ago, my son and I watched every episode, through the anniversary movie. Then when Series X came out, we watched it and loved it! And recently he was saying we should watch all of them again. Maybe I’ll surprise him with XI and XII at the end!

Watching S11.E01 now on UKTVPlay. They have all of seasons 10-12 for free. VPN presumably required if you’re not in the UK.

This is probably my favorite show of all time, and I even love seasons 7-8, but they are definitely considerably less consistent in quality. Season 11 was great though! I bought them on Amazon, I will have to figure out a way to get season 12 ASAP.

Complete tangent: Is there a a service like this where you can watch Ashes to Ashes in the U.S.? I loved Life On Mars, but the followup series was never made available on DVD in the U.S. I’d love to find a streaming service that has it though!

It’s like having your cake and eating it too: