Republic of Rome forum game II

Another war, yay!

spend 5 talents to attract a knight

The opportunists continue to gather. News has arrived from the east of stirrings amongst the people of the Seleucid empire. Their king, Antiochus III, has been talking openly of the possibility of war with Rome. He hopes to use this opportunity to subdue a couple of our smaller allies in Asia Minor and the Greek islands.

As yet, his advisors appear to be keeping this belligerence in check. But surely that can only last so long.

Antiochus III

Antiochus boosts the Syrian War, should it appear from the deck, by 5 strength. For now he is inactive.

@Knightsaber: your initiative.

@rho21 Papirius will spend 4 in a futile, weak attempt to attract a knight which is doomed to misery and failure and will probably bring about war #3 because that’s how Rome rolls.

Papirius rolls a 6 and attracts a knight.

And no new war either: @CF_Kane draws a card to hand and has an initiative.

Woo! \o/

@rho21 Quinctius will spend 5 to recruit Furius from the Forum. I believe that gives me success on anything 9 or less. If not, I’ll spend the appropriate amount.

Let’s see…
Quinctius’ (Oratory + Influence) - Furius (Loyalty + Treasury) + (Bribes - Counterbribes) = (2 + 11) - (8 + 1) + (5 - 0) = 9

Your roll is an 8, Furius joins the Populares. Any further actions, @CF_Kane?

@rho21 No further actions.

Two initiatives to bid on, as ever. Bids for the first start with @antlers.

Aurelius bids 1 talent for the next initiative

@scottagibson – you’re next

Pass

@CF_Kane

2 Talents by Quinctius

@rho21 @Knightsaber has no cash on Senators, so i believe I win the initiative.

Serves me right for trying to ensure Rome doesn’t get hit by an Evil Omens fine and penalty.

@CF_Kane How many votes is enough? You can already match the votes of two other factions.

Just trying to keep up in the cash game. As always, my votes are used to ensure a balanced playing field between the factions. I will continue to back our regular consular rotation with my votes and work through consensus. By the time that consensus breaks down, it is likely that most of my votes will be lost due to the inescapable forces of the mortality chit.

I have to hold 20 to spare the state the EO penalty, but your 16 (less the 5 for a knight) would have been much more useful in Rome’s coffers.

Everyone is at risk from the mortality chit, not just you.

Also, while we finish up this initiative period, how should we handle our wars? If we want to eliminate the Punic war, we may actually need to appoint a dictator and master of horse, as we can only build a total of 12 legions/fleets this turn.

I would propose Sulpicius and Claudius for consuls, per our regular rotation, Flaminius as Dictator, and Aemilius or Fabius as Master of Horse. That would give us plus 8 to fight the Carthaginians, leaving us at -5 before accounting for fleets/legions.

@scottagibson, on reflection I believe you are correct that my actions have not been public spirited. I promise to contribute Talents to Rome through my least influential senator next phase. I will consider pressuring some of my knights and donating that income as well to bring things back into balance, depending on how my income ends up at the end of the phase.

I also pledge that I will not attempt to persuade any aligned senators over the next two turns, unless it is necessary to prevent a player from winning the game that turn. I will not persuade any unaligned senators in the forum for the same period, unless they are necessary to fight one of the wars.

Thank you for taking your responsibilities as Pontifex Maximus seriously.

@CF_Kane: you were last to bid, Knightsaber was skipped due to having no money.

Anyway, you have gained a card to hand. Actions?

@rho21 Quinctius will sponsor games for 7T, reducing the unrest level by 1 and gaining 1 popularity.

I will not use the Talents on Furius to attract a knight, and will instead donate those talents to Rome next turn (from my lowest influence senator).

That is all.

So ordered. Bidding for the final initiative of this year begins with @antlers.

Aurelius will bid again 1 talent.

@scottagibson is next