Republic of Rome forum game II

I will make it official:

Julius proposes to raise 8 legions.
Julius and Fabius will take command of the 8 legions, as well as the 4 returning legion, and lead all 12 to Gaul, for the glory of Rome.

Julius reminds all Romans of their responsibility to defend the Republic, and encourages all senators to be prepared to help fund its survival in the wars ahead.

Populares vote yes.

Open voting. If we do not have approval by all parties, we can go back and split the motions and play by the actual rules.

Optimate vote Yes

Sheps vote Yes

Assidui vote yes

@rho21

Let’s get that combat roll of doom!

I mean who’s nervous? Not me. Yeah, I’m lying.

Julius has a history of beating up on Gauls. I’m sure we will be fine. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

I think it’s more of a future than a history. Anyway, I’ll be back with the results of combat before too long.

04142d36ef30e6862a5189827bef2817

OK, first things first, back to the end of the forum phase.

The new pater familias of the Aemilius is a genial fellow of 40, nephew to the old Aemilius. He appears to have a cunning head on his shoulders though, as he secured the allegiance of many of the old allies of the family within weeks of his uncle’s death. He steps up to take the reins of his family with much of its former status intact.

And news comes from the east, where Antiochus III’s constant calls for war with Rome have finally annoyed enough of his nobles that he has been deposed and killed. He is succeeded by Antiochus IV, who is said to be both pliable and much more taciturn.

Putting Rome in order

Aemilius rolls a 6 and revives.
Antiochus III rolls a 5 and dies.

Aemilius! tear drop

I’m sure he will enjoy his time in the Populares after Julius subdues the Gauls. (Overconfidence is how I’ve decided to deal with this anxiety.)

Combat

By Teutates! Can the Romans really be so foolish as to camp on the shores of the same lake as before? I hear they do like to choose a new commander each year; perhaps they do not pass on to the new one the lessons the old has been taught. Dispatch the cavalry to investigate and perhaps drive them once more into the water!

Before dawn, the cavalry returned. The noise of cheering could be heard some way away, so all knew they had been successful and were not pursued by vengeful Romans. The first indication these were not Gallic horsemen came from the surprised cries of the sentries: Fabius rode straight over them into the Gauls’ camp with his 1500 cavalry and wrought havoc!

The previous day, Julius and Fabius had consulted and produced a plan of some cunning. They sent the same numbers they had last year to camp by Lake Trasimene and kept their extra forces in reserve, including all the cavalry. After night fell, the legionaries left their tents and camp fires, split in two, and quietly slipped a few miles along the lake shore in each direction, in full armour.

The Gauls, seeing nothing amiss, attacked just as they had last year. Their leader was no fool, so immediately signalled the retreat when they found no Romans to slaughter. By then it was too late. Hemmed in on the south and north by infantry, they found their route in blocked by cavalry. Again the lake flowed red.

Immediately the Roman cavalry turned and rode for the Gauls’ camp, to see what further mischief could be achieved. Later, greater Roman commanders would decry this course of action as glory seeking: why risk the cavalry when a strategic victory had already been achieved? But there was no need to rue the decision: the subterfuge worked well and the enemy was surprised.

To their credit, the Gauls rallied well; fully two thirds of their camp formed up and retreated to the north, but they could do nothing to stop the Romans harrying them all the way to the mountain passes.

1st Gallic War

The roll (3d6) is a 9.

Julius + Fabius + 12 legions make a total of 20 strength. The Gauls have a strength of 10, giving a net modifier of +10.

A total of 19 is a victory with no losses.
Unrest decreases by 1 to 0.
Julius’ popularity and influence go up by 5 each.
State treasury is increased by 20 talents.
Gallia Cisalpina becomes a province of Rome.
One legion becomes a veteran with loyalty to Julius.

Congratulations all, Rome tastes victory for the first time this game!
The other two wars are unprosecuted and will raise unrest next turn.

Eat it Gauls!

Now I have to read the rules on provinces, which I hadn’t paid attention to before.

Good call to go after the Gauls this turn @CF_Kane.

It’s like studying for an exam.

As a quick refresher for all, each province needs a governor, who will be dispatched by vote of the senate directly after the end of prosecutions. The governor serves for a term of 3 full turns, or until recalled by the senate.

Provinces start undeveloped and have a chance each turn during the income phase (if they have a governor) to become developed. At that point the governor also chooses whether to steal some of the province’s wealth for himself. Doing so makes the province less likely to become developed and also gives the governor minor corruption.

In the case of Gallia Cisalpina, it produces 1d6 - 1 income for the state, and the same for the governor if he so chooses. After development that goes to 2d6 - 1 for the state and 1d6 + 3 for the governor.

Some provinces can produce a negative “income”. If this happens for governor’s income, the state pays (and is wont to be unamused).

There are (naturally) roughly another ream of rules about provinces, but they probably won’t come up.

The provinces also provide a place to stash dangerously influential senators, lard them up with corruption, and have an agreed prosecution upon their return.

eyes Julius

Julius loves spending time oppressing Gauls.

He’d even not take cash until turn 3 to develop the province.