Republic of Rome forum game II

I just realized that if Aemilius now nominated himself Consul-for-Life, we could block it but it would come down to 1 vote. That’s what a plague leaves you vulnerable to.

What? I said nothing.

This year is going to be awful for me, I’ve just realized.

Aemilius will nominate Claudius of the Optimates as Censor.

@scottagibson @CF_Kane @antlers

Game state is up to date. Thanks for waiting for me.

Optimates vote Yes

Oh right, Shepherds vote Yes. Lot on my mind.

For the record I am not going to call for Aemilius as Consul for Life. I too, wish to see the next era of Rome.

I guess Furius has no prior consul marker. Why not Aelius then? He has less influence than Claudius and is also in Populares.

I know what name I said.

Populares vote no. 12 votes.

Assidui uses a Tribune to Veto the appointment of Claudius as Censor

@Knightsaber – Suggest someone else

Claudius deplores the anti-democratic tendencies of some Senators.

With the Republic teetering on the precipice of tyranny, it’s incumbent upon each of us to be truthful and forthcoming about our motivations.

Strangely, no one has attempted any tyranny at all. In fact, two First Men have eschewed any such ambitions for the good of Rome.

Why endorse a man for Consul and then veto his proposals?

Aemilius must be consul because he has the ear of the mob, and that is also why he must be constrained.

Yet if he can be constrained (an open question!), he can be constrained by anyone wearing a Censor’s robe. It isn’t like he nominated someone from his own faction, after all. He just nominated someone you didn’t hand-pick.

The consensus we had hitherto achieved in our deliberations was lacking. My impression was that Aemilius was acting in a high-handed manner. I have yet to hear a convincing explanation as to why Claudius would have been a better Censor than Aelius. With the Censor’s influence, Claudius himself would have been eligible to be Consul-for-Life next turn, and the Optimates are exceedingly wealthy.

Aemilius nominates Terentius of the Optimates as Censor.

@antlers @scottagibson @CF_Kane

Shepherds vote Yes (19)

Macedonius sees no need to explain himself at this time.