Republic of Rome forum game

What financial threat? please quote if you find any.

We are offering financial help. any threats I did have been specifically against you.

Do what I say and sign this agreement tor I won’t help Rome (even though I am making money hand over fist in fleet construction costs by the state because of dire state need, nay reasons of state survival)!

Riiiiight…

How do you expect me to make myself vulnerable in the face of such a hostile faction as yours? The deals I proposed where just contributing deals that offered protection and did not condition any influence or offices.

But yeah, keep spreading your disinformation.

I’m just a guy who had 6 votes and two senators, and then I finally got a dead senator back after 4 years of trying.

Oh, and I have no money.

And you sent away my senator from Rome against my will.

And you chose to ignore me for any influence giving office twice in a row despite being the second faction with less influence.

Yeah…

So now you are mad at the Senate? Who voted to reward you for your beneficence and good humor towards the state?

Shame…

It was you who plotted it. I have no beef with other factions.

So I used mind control?

No, sophistry and manipulation, like you are doing now.

Ok, this is now an unproductive conversation, that insults every faction in Rome.

Good men of the Senate, truly we have not the mettle of our fathers. Gone are the halcyon days when @Navaronegun was hailing @Juan_Raigada as the savior of Rome.

You roll a 1 and do not succeed in attracting a knight.

A distressed messenger arrives at great speed along the road from the north of the peninsula. He bears word from Aelius, governor of Gallia Cisalpina who reports that several small towns were burnt in his province, the surrounding countryside pillaged of grain. Raids by the Gauls across the mountains, he assumed at first, but the survivors told a different tale: an army has somehow crossed the alps and marches south. Rome must look to her defence!
For completeness, he also includes wild reports of great beasts of war, the size of a building and immensely strong, which were supposedly used to break down the gates at one town. These he dismisses as fantasy.

This news causes great consternation among both the senate and the people, unsurprisingly. It is a week later before another report arrives, this time from our allies, the Veii. The army has been spotted marching towards their land, and daring scouts have discovered it is Carthaginian! The commander is the son of Hamilcar Barca who took command himself recently in Sicilia; apparently military prowess runs in his family. But this Hannibal is reputed to be far his father’s superior in the arts of war, another scarcely credible claim.

Hannibal

Hannibal adds 7 to the strength of the Punic wars and gives an additional Disaster on 9 and Standoff on 16. Furthermore, while the 2nd Punic war is active, he destroys a tax farmer concession each turn.

@Kolbex: your initiative.

Scipio vs. Hannibal

The Maul in the Gaul.

Well, we are fucked. That’s a 40 strength war now. We can’t even send a 5 MIL dictator and 5 MIL MH and 25 legions (4 veterans) against it, since we would have only 39 strength.

The first Punic is at 30 naval, so we would need to go with 20 fleets to get there with no modifiers. The maximum we can get is +5 IF we get 25 fleets.

The 1st Macedonian seems like the right choice for this turn. Some shipbuilding, we get spoils, and we build up for next turn…

But it’s all moot, for we need to beat one of those two before the 3rd Punic comes up. And I don’t think we can do that.

I was thinking the same thing, i.e. that we can’t fight either Punic War this round. We could fight the Macedonian war, but we need more than 5 fleets to do that, don’t we?

We need 10.

Yes, that’s what I thought.

And if we fight that one, @CraigM wins the game. So congrats Craig!!!

But we don’t need more legions. But we have to fight it. And just hope we get lucky.

We’ve done all we can do. If the deck nails us, it nails us.

No he doesn’t. You’re misreading the VCs.