Republic of Rome forum game

Behind the scenes, this turn started with Kolbex getting an event instead of a card draw (one-sixth chance); I then rolled 3d6, getting 11, and looked that up on the event table. 11 in the early republic gets us a storm at sea. You can see why I’m not spelling that all out in general though. :)

Ooh I sort of kind of follow with the rules, a little bit. This might be out of my league until I see it on a table.

Yeah, the basic of this phase, and I may be misunderstanding, is that we roll two die each. On any result other than a 7, we draw a card. If it is a red card (the concessions and statesmen we played earlier), then we take it into hand. Otherwise it goes into a tableau.

These can be things like families available for influencing, or for Wars/enemy leaders (Hanibal for example)

If you roll a 7 then an event instead.

I rolled a not 7, but my draw was a war card so now we are fighting the Gauls, which we decide after this whether to actually fight the war or ignore for now.

Cornelius will likewise use his 5 talents to attract a knight.

As ordered.

Flaminius visits the temple before heading to the senate. A show of piety or a transparent attempt to curry favour for appointment as Pontifex Maximus? Either way it ends poorly: the haruspex reports Evil Omens.

• The state immediately loses 20 talents as there’s no Pontifex Maximus to shoulder the blame yet.
  • There is now a -1 penalty to most dice rolls for the remainder of the entire Game Turn.
  • One notable exception is that persuasion rolls are now easier (+1), not harder.

@scottagibson: your action.

Most inauspicious.

Does this include Knight rolls?

It does! Also combat rolls should you decide to fight a war.

The only ones it doesn’t affect are Initiative (still 1/6 of an event) and rolls on the events table itself. Plus of course persuasion, which it helps rather than hinders.

Oh, it also decreases income from provinces directly rather than decreasing the roll, not that that will matter here.

I’ll risk 5 talents on a knight roll please.

So we’ve had two 7s rolled so far, with resulting events, plus one war card drawn? Out of 4 attempts? Yikes.

Can Hannibal be far behind?!

Your roll is a 4 - 1 + 5 = 8; Flaminius safely recruits his knight.

Manlius arrives in the senate in time to hear a quite superb debut speech from an up and coming young senator by the name of Sulpicius. He makes such a name for himself that the factions will be clamouring for the opportunity to bring him into their ranks.

A new senatorial family is added to the forum:

Nomen ID Influence Military Oratory Loyalty
Sulpicius 15 2 3 2 8

@Navaronegun: your turn.

We put all 4 talents we have into a persuasion roll for Sulpicius.

Ooh, an opportunity to cover a new rule.

Positive factors:

• Manlius’ Oratory = 2
  • Manlius’ Influence = 4
  • Bribe = 4
  • Evil Omens = 1

Negative factors:

• Sulpicius’ Loyalty = 8

So as things stand, you will need to roll a 3 or lower on 2d6. Anyone may offer a counter-bribe from faction treasury to decrease this number, though I doubt they will.

Can I confirm you wish to take these odds?

Rats, too low. I abort upon seeing the odds. I’ll riskily make a roll for a Knight with my measly 4 talents, instead.

Your roll is 6 - 1 + 4 = 9, success.

@Juan_Raigada has the good fortune to draw a faction card. What would you do with your turn?

Also, phew, no Hannibal this round to wreck Rome’s day.

Spend 6 talents to get a knight.

So, with 6 card draw attempts, we got two faction cards, one senator family for the forum, one active war, and two events? And everyone managed to attract a knight?

Just so.

At the end of the forum phase, Plautius fails to move from the Curia to the Forum.

Population Phase
There are no unprosecuted wars or drought effects, so Unrest remains at 0.

Junius gives the State of the Republic speech; no popularity so die roll is unmodified. A rather poor roll of 8 adds 3 to unrest. Narrowly avoids turning the people off so much they won’t sign up to fight Rome’s enemies though.

Here’s the state of play:

Rome
Treasury 172
Unrest 3
Active Legions 4

Events:

• Evil Omens (-1 to most die rolls)
  • Manpower Shortage (legions and fleets cost 20 to raise)

Forum
Unaligned senators:

Sulpicius 15 2 3 2 8

Curia
Inactive senators:

Plautius 17 2 2 1 6

Active Wars:

Name Series Fleet Battle Fleet Support Army Battle Disaster Standoff Spoils Special
1st Gallic War 1 of 3 (1) 0 0 10 13 15 20 Creates Gallia Cisalpina

Imminent Wars:

Name Series Fleet Battle Fleet Support Army Battle Disaster Standoff Spoils Special

Inactive Wars:

1st Punic War 1 of 3 (2) 10 5 10 13 11/14 35 Creates Sicilia & Corsica and Sardinia

Factions
Panzeh
Treasury: 0 talents
Hand: 3 cards

Nomen ID Popularity Influence Military Oratory Loyalty Knights Money PC Offices Concessions Corrupt
*Claudius 5 0 4 (4) 2 3 7 1 2 Tax Farmer Minor
Junius 10 0 8 (3) 1 2 8 0 0 Y Rome C Major
Acilius [12] 0 3 (3) 2 2 7 0 0

Rex Antiquis (CraigM)
Hand: 2 cards

Nomen ID Popularity Influence Military Oratory Loyalty Knights Money PC Offices Concessions Corrupt
*Aemilius [19] 0 1 (1) 4 2 8 1 2 Tax Farmer Minor
Fulvius [7] 0 4 (4) 2 2 8 0 0
Aurelius 9 0 3 (3) 2 3 7 0 0

Kolbexarii
Treasury: 2 talents
Hand: 2 cards

*Cornelius [1] 0 5 (5) 4 3 9 1 0 Tax Farmer Minor
Valerius 3 0 5 (5) 1 2 10 0 0
Julius [4] 0 4 (4) 4 3 9 0 0

New Men (scottagibson)

*Flaminius 13 0 3 (3) 4 2 6 1 0
Furius 8 0 3 (3) 3 3 8 0 0
Calpurnicus 16 0 2 (2) 1 2 9 0 0

Virtus Romana (Navaronegun)

*Manlius 6 0 4 (4) 3 2 7 1 0
Quinctius [18] 0 1 (1) 3 2 6 0 0

Eastern Grain Company (Juan_Raigada)
Treasury: 1 talent
Hand: 1 card

*Papirius 11 0 3 (3) 1 2 6 1 4 Mining, Land Commissioner, Ship Building Minor
Fabius [2] 0 5 (5) 4 2 9 0 0
Aelius 14 0 2 (2) 3 4 7 0 0